trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2024 8:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:11 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Sorry for the endless questions. So as the amp is setup now it would prefer to run 6V6 or KT66 tubes. (Minor mods and impedence selector differences with the EL34).

As of now I think I will be making a combo version of the Triwatt - It would be in Modified 18 Watt 1 X 12" Marshall 1974 Combo Cabinet. I know it's a little tight in there for a KT66, so could the 6L6 be used with little or no mods to the circuit. (Bias Adjustment Only).

I personally don't mind the 6L6. I had an Marshall 4500 Head with EL34 tubes, and currently have a Marshall 4502 Combo with 6L6 tubes, and I slightly prefer the 6L6 Tube - Actually it sounds a little more Hiwattish in that amp. (I will say that I am running a Blue Dog & a Silver Bell with the combo, while I used to run Celestion G12S-50 Speakers with the Head - That could be why I like the 6L6 amp better.) Besides 6L6s are so much cheaper to buy than the KT66s.

I would think you would get 30 to 35 watts from a 6L6 in the Triwatt?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:50 am 
Expert
Expert

For 6L6s you would need a primary OT impedance of about 6k. So 8k wouldn't be optimum, but it should still work, and give somewhere around 35W out. But I think you should hear it first with the 6V6s. I don't have the amp with me this weekend, but IIRC it's about 8" tall with the KT66s installed, which should fit OK into a 9" deep 18W cab. The KT66s also don't seem to get as hot as the 6V6s.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:30 pm 
Friend
Friend

Something to add to excitement......,
and also how i probably learned how to dance.
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp6-wG5LLqE

:D

: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:34 am 
Novice
Novice

My dance style leans more towards Entwhistle's...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:40 am 
Experienced
Experienced

I know the Triwatt was developed with the JJ 6V6 in mind, but with the possiblity of also using the KT66 is there certain brands that will work better with the Triwatt?

It seems that some are marketed as drop-in replacements to the 6L6, but are these tubes the optimum to use with the Triwatt's 8K OT.

From the various tube reviews people seem to like the Golden Lion Reissues, and the JJ's the best. Would these be drop in replacements, on the Triwatt?

Also since you are not pushing the KT66 as hard as a 6V6, would the tubes life be extended, over the 6V6?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:49 am 
Expert
Expert

The 8k load impedance fortunately just happens to be a value that works nicely for both 6V6s and KT66s. And with the beefy new transformers, we have the capability to handle the extra current draw of the KT66s. There is no preference for any particular brand of KT66s. I happen to be using a pair of Golden Dragon's Retro KT66s which I happen to have (actually given to me by Marshall - but that's another story). With either the KT66s or JJ 6V6s we're talking about lifetimes of several years, since we're not biasing them too hot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:09 pm 
Novice
Novice

I like either the Shuguang or JJ KT-66s. I find the Shuguangs like to be biased hot. The JJs are a little purer sounding.

I built myself a DR103 with permanently linked inputs (I just turn down the Bright or Normal volumes) and a half power switch. I built it to play bass through, but of course it's a great guitar amp!

I also built a CP103 channel into an 18watt style (well 20 watt really) amp and it's a cool tone too.

Post subject: JJ KT66 tubes
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:48 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Quote:
The JJs are a little purer sounding.

I think the JJ KT66 would be the way to go. I am planning to get my overdrive sound from a Butler/Tubeworks 901 Overdrive, so I want the power section to stay "purer sounding".

Yes, I know Gilmour uses the Butler Tube Driver, but at $300US a pop, I will keep the 901 that a bought used for $40, 15 years ago.

Also, I read that B.K. Butler actually likes the 901 better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:49 pm 
Expert
Expert

rjgtr wrote:
I like either the Shuguang or JJ KT-66s. I find the Shuguangs like to be biased hot. The JJs are a little purer sounding.

IIRC my Golden Dragon KT66s are actually made by Shuguang. I'll have to try the biasing trick. What %age of max dissipation do you mean by hot?
rjgtr wrote:
I built myself a DR103 with permanently linked inputs (I just turn down the Bright or Normal volumes) and a half power switch. I built it to play bass through, but of course it's a great guitar amp!

That's cool. Did you use the traditional Hiwatt layout, or one of your own? The Triwatt has one linked input, as well as the separate Bright and Normal inputs, Dave Gilmour style. According to Brent, using the Link input jack gives a slightly more scooped tone compared to when he links the Low inputs of his vintage DR103 using a patch cable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:37 pm 
Novice
Novice

zaphod wrote:
rjgtr wrote:

IIRC my Golden Dragon KT66s are actually made by Shuguang. I'll have to try the biasing trick. What %age of max dissipation do you mean by hot?

I think I used about 75%. They just growl a little better there to me. I read about it in a review of them somewhere and it works.
Quote:
rjgtr wrote:

That's cool. Did you use the traditional Hiwatt layout, or one of your own? The Triwatt has one linked input, as well as the separate Bright and Normal inputs, Dave Gilmour style. According to Brent, using the Link input jack gives a slightly more scooped tone compared to when he links the Low inputs of his vintage DR103 using a patch cable.

I built the Hiwatt style amp using a layout of my own design, a little more Marshall than pure Hiwatt. I did it that way because I was using a Marshall size chassis. The circuit is a fairly pure Hiwatt except that the inputs are always linked, there's a switch to take two of the EL34s out and it has a simple preamp out/power amp in before the Master volume mainly so I can use the power amp with other preamps. Instead of wasting the other half of V2, I used the late 70s 2 input preamp version that uses both sides as a mixer. I also ended up replacing the 1n before the treble cap with 47n to let more bass through.

My other Hiwatt like amp is a dual channel 20watt that has CP103 type VTB preamp and JCM800ish TMB channel. It's very cool, sort of a Marwatt variation, but for Who fans!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:12 pm 
Expert
Expert

rjgtr wrote:
Instead of wasting the other half of V2, I used the late 70s 2 input preamp version that uses both sides as a mixer.

The way the Triwatt works is that it has an early 70s style preamp, complete with the cathode follower, and the extra triode is used for the late 80s style "OL" boost stage. So hopefully, we have some of the best of both eras.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:57 am 
Friend
Friend

Hey folks,

Check out this clip i found today.
If anyone here could tell me what is going on here......technical you know.
I don't know much, but honestly......my lord that is English ROCK !!!!!
What a tone......i mean holly molly this is frigg'n wild.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=3JVGjonKA ... re=channel

ohhhh there's another one by him...

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf4u9yq_X ... re=channel
soul.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:24 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Dude, if you like that, you're going to LOOOOOOVE the Triwatt... 8)

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:30 am 
Friend
Friend

I'm darn "stoked" to build a Triwatt Brent,
yup....i said darn stoked.

8)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:02 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

amp boy wrote:
Hey folks,
Check out this clip i found today.
If anyone here could tell me what is going on here......technical you know.
I don't know much, but honestly......my lord that is English ROCK !!!!!
What a tone......i mean holly molly this is frigg'n wild.

I have definitely heard those tones coming out of the TRIWATT. The overdrive control drives this amp WILD!!

Last edited by coco on Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:03 pm 
Novice
Novice

zaphod wrote:
rjgtr wrote:
Instead of wasting the other half of V2, I used the late 70s 2 input preamp version that uses both sides as a mixer.

The way the Triwatt works is that it has an early 70s style preamp, complete with the cathode follower, and the extra triode is used for the late 80s style "OL" boost stage. So hopefully, we have some of the best of both eras.

I thought about the OL preamp, but I really wanted it to be a more "normal" Hiwatt preamp, because my excuse to make was for bass. Having said that, I do like the idea of the OL, so who knows? I might rewire it one day and put it on a pull switch.

The thing I like about the Hiwatt is that it's tone stack is a little less interactive than the Fender or Marshall style stacks.

I've been sort of rounding out my classic tones with my last few builds. The last few amps were the Hiwatt, a Vox variation, a JTM-45 variant and the 18watt plexi style amp. Just for the variation in tones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:50 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

"Overdrive" is already on a pull switch, so you can switch it out and the Triwatt becomes a "normal" Hiwatt with lots of clean headroom... Sonically VERY similar to my 70's Hylight-era DR103 (which is a GREAT bass amp) save for the difference between the output tubes...

We'll have to try bass next time I have it... didn't do that yet...

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:57 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Could the OD be footswitchable?Or did I miss that in earlier in this loooong thread?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:32 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

G-log wrote:
Could the OD be footswitchable?Or did I miss that in earlier in this loooong thread?

A posibility we are working on. That part of the circuit is very sensitive so it will take some work but in the plan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:33 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Most KEWL!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next