trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2024 11:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:07 am 
Experienced
Experienced

I need a practice amp.

I don't know what to build, i'd like between 1 and 5 watts is the valve jr with mods the way to go?

Or would a 50's fender design be the jam?

Speakers, any good 8" or should I stick to 10+?

Just looking for general opinions thoughts on the subject my neighbors wont let me get the 18 watt over 2 volume, even then its still too loud. Plus Id love something portable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:34 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

We all need a TRAMP [aka Tweedle]. It's next in line to be designed. I want it to be a killer little 3W SE practice amp - fender clean to crunch to metal. I want it all. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:04 pm 
Expert
Expert

Well, I have a modified Valve Junior. I've changed the pre-amp section to basically the Trinity sIII normal channel with a gain boost & fat boost (both switchable). The output section is a bit more Marshall-ish too, but still 5w SE. It still sounds a little too "boxy" for my taste, but I'm planning on an OT upgrade that I'm hoping will help that some.

I can tell you that even at only 5 watts it's pretty loud - enough volume to keep up with a drummer in a smaller jam space (my 12x18 kitchen for example), and that's not even with the amp wound out.

The Tweedle project should be interesting if coco gets all those goodies in there... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:01 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Emohawk wrote:
Well, I have a modified Valve Junior. I've changed the pre-amp section to basically the Trinity sIII normal channel with a gain boost & fat boost (both switchable). The output section is a bit more Marshall-ish too, but still 5w SE. It still sounds a little too "boxy" for my taste, but I'm planning on an OT upgrade that I'm hoping will help that some.

I can tell you that even at only 5 watts it's pretty loud - enough volume to keep up with a drummer in a smaller jam space (my 12x18 kitchen for example), and that's not even with the amp wound out.

The Tweedle project should be interesting if coco gets all those goodies in there... :)

What speaker for that? That might even be too loud... I don't think i want a marshall tone practice amp. IMO a major part of the marshal magic happens when the walls start shaking.

I'm leaning towards a fender voice I think... Like a 1 watt 5E3... Problem is there are so many champ layouts out there and not too much info on their mojo... :( Maybe I'll get a Ceri@tone kit... or maybe the TRAMP kicks serious ass... Hmmm...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:08 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Revv23 wrote:
or maybe the TRAMP kicks serious ass... Hmmm...

The Tramp/Tweedle will kick SERIOUS ass... I'd wait... last time I was at Stephen's shop he had a prototype that wasn't too far from being ready... :)

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:09 pm 
Expert
Expert

See: ! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: I told ya, nobody listens to jac :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The "huh" "Tramp" (I forget everything). So much for "Tweedle".
I told you to develop it. :roll: :roll: :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:
Best should come next!, (says this don't want to be "drug addict") :lol: :lol:

Let's GO!! Like your life isn't getting hectic Coco! :lol: :lol:
Still, I told ya!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:31 pm 
Expert
Expert

Revv23 wrote:
What speaker for that? That might even be too loud... I don't think i want a marshall tone practice amp. IMO a major part of the marshal magic happens when the walls start shaking.

I'm leaning towards a fender voice I think... Like a 1 watt 5E3... Problem is there are so many champ layouts out there and not too much info on their mojo... :( Maybe I'll get a Ceri@tone kit... or maybe the TRAMP kicks serious ass... Hmmm...

That's with the factory speaker in the VJ cab (Eminence Lady Luck). That's a bit darker than my V30 loaded cab, and not quite as efficient. It's also open back so it is a little less directional than the closed-back V30 cab - fills the room a little more.

It's pretty easy to mod the VJ to be more Fendery too, or Voxy if that's your thing. In fact, with the boost & bright switches off my build does sound kind of Fendery. More compressed than a Champ, but switching the output stage to 6V6 would help there. I've considered adding a switchable output stage in fact - similar to Trinity's 18w V6.