trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2024 5:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:46 am 
Friend
Friend

Unfortunately no. I did not even own a camera back in the seventies. A good friend of mine did accompany me to see Ken Hensley of Uriah Heep the first time I met him though, and he brought a camera. Somewhere I have a picture of Ken and me from that encounter. This is an excuse for me to look for it. I'll see if I can find it...having moved last July to a new house has caused me to misplace many things!

Later, even when I did own a camera, it never occured to me to take one along, as it just wasn't something a fellow musician would do. If I wanted to meet other musicians I had to come off as just another one myself.

In 1985, when I was living in Dallas, a luthier and good friend of mine, Scott Baxendale, and I went to see Yngwie Malmsteen and brought a Strat with a scalloped neck that Scott had hand built for me in order to try and meet Yngwie and get into the show for free. When we went to the backstage door and showed it to his tour/stage manager, he quickly took us in to meet Yngwie because it was so similar to the Strats he played. For the next hour Yngwie and I played each other's guitars in his dressing room, ate catered food, and drank beer together. If I had brought a camera I think I would have come off more as a star struck fan and may not have gotten as far! God, what a player he was/is! And to see him do what he does two feet from me was amazing. Yngwie wanted Scott to build him an acoustic with a scalloped neck, but I think Scott blew his chances when he later got so drunk that, while Yngwie was performing on stage and I was watching from the side wing of the stage, Scott told Yngwie's personal manager that he (Scott) was actually a better player than Yngwie was!! What a joke! Scott later got involved with the wrong crowd, drugs and all, and soon after lost the Mossman Guitar business he had purchased from the guy who taught him how to build guitars...Stuart Mossman! Eventually I found Scott right here living in Denver in the mid 90's...clean and sober, and we rekindled our friendship. He now owns and runs Colfax Guitar Shop in Denver with his son John. He has built some fantastic instruments for some pretty famous people, including Tom Petty. Some of his guitars have been featured in magazines including the famous one he built for Warner Bros. with cartoon character inlays all over it! My acoustic is a wonderful instrument that he built in 1985...#12 of the Texas Mossmans. I love it.

Last edited by Stolysmaster on Tue May 19, 2009 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:51 am 
Expert
Expert

Stolysmaster wrote:
Has anyone tried the TungSol 6v6GT's in a Triwatt?

That's what I have in mine & I really like them. I can't really make intelligent comparisons since I haven't tried anything else in there. But, from what I've read, they aren't quite as "loud" as the JJ's and don't compress quite as much. I would think that translates to the JJ's being a little more EL34-ish in character, with the TS's being more 6L6-ish, but that's a total quasi-educated non-emperical analysis!

But if you think all that means my Triwatt isn't loud, think again... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:02 pm 
Friend
Friend

Emohawk wrote:
Stolysmaster wrote:
Has anyone tried the TungSol 6v6GT's in a Triwatt?

That's what I have in mine & I really like them. I can't really make intelligent comparisons since I haven't tried anything else in there. But, from what I've read, they aren't quite as "loud" as the JJ's and don't compress quite as much. I would think that translates to the JJ's being a little more EL34-ish in character, with the TS's being more 6L6-ish, but that's a total quasi-educated non-emperical analysis!

But if you think all that means my Triwatt isn't loud, think again... :)

Very interesting take on the TungSols. I may be remembering incorrectly, but I believe someone on another site said that the JJ 6v6s's are actually more like 6L6's! I've never tried anything BUT the JJ's and that was in one of my 2204 clones, so I really don't have a reference point. It's just that the reviews I read also really liked the TungSols so I was wondering about anyone's experience with them in the Triwatt. The Tubestore reviews say that the Tungsol has creamier distortion characteristics, and like you said, does not compress as hard as the JJ. It says that the JJ has more of a crunch rock tone with more in your face midrange. It's good to know that you like the TungSols. I, personally, would not be worried that you said they are not quite as loud as the JJ's. I'm sure that a Triwatt loaded with TungSols would still have the potential to be much louder than any sound man would ever want me to be!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:46 pm 
Expert
Expert

to heck with that jcny and I are putting in 6v6 blackface. Be vinteresting to see what it sounds like.
Also using Mullard 12ax7's. Can't wait!!~ :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:41 pm 
Expert
Expert

I actually have a pair of Fender labeled 6V6's in my sIIIV6. Somewhat different character to the TS's in that amp. I liked the TS a little better. Haven't tried the Fenders in the Triwatt though - I don't know if they can handle the higher plate voltages.

In my Triwatt pre I have Mullard RI 12AX7, JJ 12AX7, JJ 12AX7, NOS Jan 12AT7. I tried several combinations & liked this the best. I did try a TS in V1 but it was a little to bright for me. I also tried a 12AX7 in the PI but it was just a tad too hairy to my ears. Might be a different story when I try it with the Fane clones. Hopefully I'll find out tomorrow night (my cab is waiting for me at the post office!).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 7:38 pm 
Expert
Expert

Stolysmaster wrote:
I may be remembering incorrectly, but I believe someone on another site said that the JJ 6v6s's are actually more like 6L6's!

I think they must have gotten the story a little mixed up. JJ 6V6s aren't considered to be "true 6V6s", due to their larger electrode structure, which looks more like something in between a 6V6 and a 6L6 in size. I suspect they can probably dissipate more than the 14W that a regular 6V6 can. But that's about as far as it goes AFAIK.
Stolysmaster wrote:
It says that the JJ has more of a crunch rock tone with more in your face midrange.

Whereas you get more of a scooped tone from 6L6s. This would tend to confirm the suggestion that JJ 6V6s are more EL34 like in how they sound. I've used JJ 6V6s in one of my Marshally amps, running at 390V, and it sounds real nice. I would also say that at the 440V we run them at in the Triwatt, JJs sound pretty bright. So I prefer the tonal balance and break up of the pair of Russian 6pi6s, we ended up using in the prototype Triwatt. One came from Stephen's junk box (labelled Sovtek), and the other (labeled Brimar) came from my junk box! :lol: Having said that I once played a 6V6 Plexi amp with JJs running at around 470V, and it sounded real sweet, possibly because the Plexi is naturally a darker sounding amp than a Hiwatt.

jac wrote:
jcny and I are putting in 6v6 blackface.

:shock: Don't you mean RCA Blackplate....??? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 12:59 pm 
Expert
Expert

yes blackplate.
ya know it takes me so long to even type this
excuse my spelling

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 4:14 pm 
Expert
Expert

Hey NP. I trust spillang isn't an issue around here :D All in good spirit. :D The idea of a Fender Blackface amp stuck inside a Triwatt kinda messed with my mind. :lol: You have to remember that being an engineer I tend to interpret everything literally. So like the old joke goes, "How do you confuse Zaphod? Show him five different shovels and ask him to take his pick." :lol:

But yeah, I bet the amp would be pretty darn sweet with a pair of those tubes in there. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 4:49 pm 
Expert
Expert

The "BLACKPLATES" we're using were not picked for a Fender amp. These particular tubes were pulled from a 8x10 powered Hammond. What a monster. I have a tube tester and all tested , well , very good.
So we're not entirely talking about placing fenders in the Triwatt. :D
What will be interesting here will be how they react to the Triwatt. The 8x10 was designed with the upper registrars the triwatt is designed with the mids and ... uppers. I actually think they will match.
But hey if I'm wrong, on to the next tube, eh :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8) 8) 8)
Doesn't matter if I'm right or wrong, what matters is the tone that eminants!!!
I love a geat single note held for along time :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8) 8) 8)

I also have some great EH pedals in front of this, that's fun 8) 8) 8)