trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2024 2:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:02 pm 
Expert
Expert

...yet another pleasant surprise from this freakin' GEM of an amp.

I finally got around to plugging my Strat into the Triwatt tonight. I simply couldn't believe my ears! Where did that open piano-like bottom end come from? And that sweet jangly top end? And this was with the same settings I tried my P90 & humbucker guitars with...tones at noon, channel vols & master to taste. The rig actually sounds like an old Fender with this guitar. Unbelievable.

And it REALLY reacts well to Brent's first stage starving trick. I can go from sweet open clean to nasty grind with just picking dynamics. It's unbelievably touch sensitive. With the volume rolled off a little I get more of a warm clean/overdrive. Nice dirty blues.

To be sure I wasn't losing my mind I tried it with my other cabs. Sure enough it sounded more claustrophobic & compressed with the Celestions & Eminence. I guess the ticket is the Thames/Fanes with the open back cab. It verifies my first impression of the Thames speakers too - in some ways they they remind me of the old Jensens in those classic Fenders. Similar overall character, but much more forward.

I will continue my quest to find a guitar my Triwatt rig doesn't like...but don't count on me finding one! :)

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 12:18 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Emohawk wrote:
I will continue my quest to find a guitar my Triwatt rig doesn't like...

You won't find one Emo... I already tried!!!! ;) 8)

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 12:39 pm 
Expert
Expert

Maybe I'll try that ratty old Profile bass my friend has. There must still be at least one string on it... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:03 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Emohawk wrote:
Maybe I'll try that ratty old Profile bass my friend has. There must still be at least one string on it... :)

The Triwatt'll make you want to string it up!!! ;)

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 4:05 pm 
Expert
Expert

I would recommend KT66s if you're going to play bass through the amp. Those will give you a bit more volume, which is something you always need with bass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 5:19 pm 
Expert
Expert

:) I was just kidding about the profile (you have to see that train wreck to understand)...but I see what you're saying. Maybe at some point. I see no need for the moment though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 6:40 pm 
Expert
Expert

The "Triwatt", sounds better and better. piano-like quality. I've been searching for that amp all my life :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
I can't wait :D :D :D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:29 pm 
Expert
Expert

Keep in mind though that my cheap-ass Squier Affinity Strat (well, free in fact) now has a set of Kinman AVN Woodstocks. The pickups are worth more than double what the street price of the guitar would be!

They're simply amazing pickups, and the Strat (which I won at a Metallica tribute show) is the 1-in-10 Squiers that has a very nice playing neck.

Here's a before & after...
ImageImage

I plan to upgrade the bridge & tuners at some point. Just haven't gotten around to that yet. Still trying to decide which vintage-style aftermarket bridge to use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:56 am 
Experienced
Experienced

I have those same pups in my mexi.

I also put in a callaham bridge and since i play lefty i pulled the rosewood neck off a buddy's old MIM and it's a lefty guitar with a righty maple neck.

Thing beats any guitar i've ever played. I need tuners really bad though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 12:23 pm 
Expert
Expert

After playing it again I think I will replace the neck with a USA Fender if I can find one. I'm planning to go with some form of locking tuners and an upgraded retro 6-hole vibrato - maybe a Wilkinson.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 12:33 pm 
Novice
Novice

Emohawk wrote:
I'm planning to go with some form of locking tuners and an upgraded retro 6-hole vibrato - maybe a Wilkinson.

I highly recommend Callaham (as Revv23 mentioned). I have one of his tone blocks on my Showmaster and a Tele bridge on my Warmoth Tele....as well as a custom Tele switch plate he made for me.

http://www.callahamguitars.com

- This Space For Rent -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 1:16 pm 
Expert
Expert

Thanks...I'll check it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:48 pm 
Expert
Expert

that is great :D :D :D :D
I love taking certain guitars and building an amazing guitar out of it.
\I have 2 mahogany guitars that the 1 I have routered to change the P-90's to real ones.

I've always found, if you tap a great guitar (Gibson, fender, ya know) there is a tone in the wood that is amazing. I have found that same tone in many Japanese guitars. And I mean many!
That tap tone is more important then anything.
Even a great Gibson has an amazing tap tone in the wood.
The 1 guitar I've now put on locking tuners.
Amazing
Then I'm adding Kent Armstrong P-90's These are originals signed.
Mahogany neck and body. This guitar will wail. Only cost me $100.00 at the local guitar shop.
Hey no name.
All mahogany, yummy.
Great job Emohawk!

Oh, it ways nothing, nice!!! :shock: :shock: 8) 8) 8) 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 3:23 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

b0b0 wrote:
Emohawk wrote:
I'm planning to go with some form of locking tuners and an upgraded retro 6-hole vibrato - maybe a Wilkinson.

I highly recommend Callaham (as Revv23 mentioned). I have one of his tone blocks on my Showmaster and a Tele bridge on my Warmoth Tele....as well as a custom Tele switch plate he made for me.

http://www.callahamguitars.com

Yeah the callaham bridge really thickened my tone compared to the nasty stock trem. More sustain, better definition. Really good product. . Plus after a few years of playing the nickel is starting to wear for an authentic relic look. Not some faked relic. I'll bang up my guitar on my own, thanks.

I had to plug the old trem up with dowels and then redrill my strat because they dont make a lefty trem assembly to match mexi hole spacing

As for necks, I really want a USA Custom Guitars neck. I hear nothing but good things about them.

Before the neck I'm going to get vintage tuners and a mint pick guard from callaham. Anyone know if you need lefty tuners on a lefty neck? Or are they reversible? Since I have both a left maple neck and a right rosewood neck for this thing I'd like to be able to switch back to maple and keep the good tuners.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 6:06 pm 
Friend
Friend

Revv23 wrote:
As for necks, I really want a USA Custom Guitars neck. I hear nothing but good things about them.

I have a USACG rosewood/maple neck with a 7 1/4" - 9.5" compound radius on a strat I had built by Ron Kirn to 1962 specs (other than the compound radius neck). That neck is easily the finest I've ever played.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:36 pm 
Expert
Expert

Yeah - I've been looking at USACG stuff. A bit pricey for me at this point. I'm hoping to pick up something on the used market that will fit the bill.

Had a look at the Callaham stuff. Some sweet looking kit there. Pricey, but I'm sure it's worth every nickel. I'm almost tempted to order their hardware kit, but it's a lot of coin to throw down on a $200 guitar...especially with the Kinmans already in there!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:37 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

You should get some sort of bridge, or at least a new sustain block. i didn't realize how bad the stock one was until i pulled it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:54 pm 
Expert
Expert

Definitely. The bridge is stamped mystery metal dog-poo. I also need a replacement Floyd for my Ibanez for the same reason. One of the saddle assemblies is actually BENT on that one if you can believe it.

I really can't decide what to do about the Strat. I have a feeling that by the time I'm done with it there will be no factory parts left. I'll be able to re-assemble the original parts & sell the thing! I just have to decide if I'll go premium hardware & work my way to a true kick-butt franken-strat or go middle of the road & have a decent player for a lot less coin with the existing body & neck. Seems a crime to waste those Kinmans on a cheap POS though...even if it plays decent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 1:15 pm 
Expert
Expert

maybe i have 1 you want.
:shock: :shock: :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 4:24 pm 
Expert
Expert

jac wrote:
maybe i have 1 you want.