trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2024 3:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A little noise issue
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:44 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

This weekend I had my 18watter out for it's maiden voyage. I've always been impressed with how quiet the Trinity is. But I had this annoying buzz happening when I plugged in the guitar but quiet otherwise. It also decreased when I touched the strings or knobs ect. May it have been flouresents on the same circuit, poor guitar/jumper cables or what. It wasn't 60hz buzz ..maybe 120.. don.t know.
Stew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:06 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

IF it goes away when you unplug, it's definitely a ground problem with the guitar, or cable. How about the other input jacks or someone elses guitar / cable?

Noisy rooms / flourescents are not guitar amp friendly!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:03 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

if the amp is quiet when there is nothing plugged in and noisy when the guitar is plugged in I would suspect either a poor ground on the guitar (maybe the bridge ground has come off or opened) or it could be a bad cable (open ground or intermitant contact).

Have had both happen to me.

ALso, try plugging in a different guitar and/or with a different cable. You should know pretty quick what it is.

Here is a TRUE story.... I built a Trinity 5E3 Deluxe for a guy whop used to work in a local music store. He loved mine, and I did a really good job on his.... and made sure before I delivered it that it was working fine, which it was. I took it to the shop while he was working, and there were some guys in there. He grabbed a guitar (brand new) off of the wall hanger and plugged it into the amp. Turned it on, only to get the worst popping and crackling - while you could hear the guitar, I felt about 1/2" tall and was thinking "oh boy, now all these giys are going to think I cant wire an amp up". After farting around with the amp for a few minutes he decided to grab a 2nd new guitar from the wal and Voila! Problem solved. It was a bad ground on the imported Peavy guitar that was the issue/ or a bad pickup. But it was NOT the amp! I felt great, got paid and went on my way :)

AJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:26 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Your playing a strat aren't you?

Get some noiseless pups, make sure the grounding wire is soldered to the bridge, maybe shield your pickguard... look here for tons of good info:

http://www.kinman.com/Shop/perfect_tmp.htm
(you may need to login all it takes is an email address.