trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2024 12:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:53 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Has anyone tried the BBQ Thames Speaker, with their Triwatt, in an open back cabinet.

I am currently running a Fane AX12-150 with the Triwatt in a 1 X 12" Combo, and I have an Avatar 1 X 12" Vintage Extention Cabinet with a Tonker in it. I like the Tonker, but it seems to give the Triwatt a more Fenderish sound, and I am looking for a more Hiwattish sound. I heard that the Thames is a relatively dark speaker, which would go well with my Fane, which is bright.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:52 am 
Expert
Expert

I have indeed. My Triwatt cab has two of them in fact, and has a convertible back (mine's #2 - Stephen usually keeps #1...).

It sounds great either open or closed back. Open back it's a more open/airy kind of tone...very much like a Fender when you set the EQ a little more scoopy. I compared it to an old Fender/Jensen in fact, but tighter overall. With the cab closed it really focuses the bottom end & feels more punchy.

Well, the Triwatt always feels punchy - just a matter of degree.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:40 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

We've been working with Tayden in the UK to produce a Vintage Hiwatt speaker based on their F Series speaker. We used Brents original 412 HIWATT cab as reference.

We had one TRIWATT 212 that we tested and it was very close. The results and our analysis went back to Tayden for some tweaking.

jcny has that cab now.

Waiting for news from Tayden. Message is, if you can wait, you might get very close!

We'll post info when we hear back from them.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:26 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I would be willing to wait to see about the Tayden Speaker, I do have a Tonker in the Cabinet now - Hopefully cost wise it would be closer to the BBQ prices, vs UK made Celestion prices.

Also, talking about cabinets, I might need a open/closed cabinet conversion rear plate.

1/2" thick plywood, or pine. 5 1/2" x 22 1/2" with black tolex covering. 4 screw holes 3/8" from the edge. Coco, would you/did you want to do this?

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:38 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

ROB_PRICE wrote:
I would be willing to wait to see about the Tayden Speaker, I do have a Tonker in the Cabinet now - Hopefully cost wise it would be closer to the BBQ prices, vs UK made Celestion prices.

We'd want to be competitive but it's a limited production custom speaker unlike BBQ. As always, depends on volume. Keep watching.

ROB_PRICE wrote:
Also, talking about cabinets, I might need a open/closed cabinet conversion rear plate. 1/2" thick plywood, or pine. 5 1/2" x 22 1/2" with black tolex covering. 4 screw holes 3/8" from the edge.

Can do but shipping will be as much as the item I expect!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:31 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I keep forgeting about that border thing, and that was the #1 reason why I had my Triwatt Cabinet made in the USA versus by you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:40 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

There has been no duties or anything up to now on what I've had Stephen ship down to me :D
I think the costs he's referring to are the postal charges (the best way to ship accross the border is to use the postal services, much smoother :D :D )

I had a brief chance to try the cab, sounds good, but I'm having work done on the house and everything is in a spare room until that's finished.

Then I'll have a chance to compare the Triwatt cab with the Taydens to my sIII cab with the G12H30 / V30 combo. :P :P :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:21 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Yes, postage, not duty. No one has ever mentioned duty going into the US.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:50 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Yeah isnt that the deal with nafta? no duty?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:37 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Revv23 wrote:

Yes, for some items plus I think the Canadian CRA officers are more incented to collect taxes!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:25 pm 
Expert
Expert

Revv23 wrote:

AFAIK you have to be a NAFTA-registered company for that to work. So NAFTA-registered companies can ship goods to each other without paying customs duties. But poor old Jo Blo of the general public still ends up paying - especially if he lives in Canada. :x Now I need to get back on topic before this starts to get political. :lol:

Emohawk wrote:
I have indeed. My Triwatt cab has two of them in fact, and has a convertible back (mine's #2 - Stephen usually keeps #1...).

It sounds great either open or closed back. Open back it's a more open/airy kind of tone...very much like a Fender when you set the EQ a little more scoopy. I compared it to an old Fender/Jensen in fact, but tighter overall. With the cab closed it really focuses the bottom end & feels more punchy.

And here's that thread with the pictures - www.trinityamps.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1578&start=69 8)

:jawdrop:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:54 am 
Experienced
Experienced

coco wrote:
We've been working with Tayden in the UK to produce a Vintage Hiwatt speaker based on their F Series speaker. We used Brents original 412 HIWATT cab as reference.

We had one TRIWATT 212 that we tested and it was very close. The results and our analysis went back to Tayden for some tweaking.

I can verify this - it was quite close... the way the Tayden broke up vs. my Fanes was almost identical. The main differences were that the Fanes sounded a bit more open, and there were frequency bumps in slightly different places. But I can imagine they could tweak it to be REALLY close...

Yeah we even sent frequency graphs!!

I'm excited to hear what Tayden come up with... :)

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:36 pm 
Novice
Novice

zaphod wrote:
Revv23 wrote:

AFAIK you have to be a NAFTA-registered company for that to work. So NAFTA-registered companies can ship goods to each other without paying customs duties.

My understanding is that NAFTA provides for zero duty for products manufactured within the participating countries, irrespective of whether the importer is a commercial enterprise or private citizen. I believe the definition of "manufactured" implies a minimum added value (ie. components can be imported and then assembled domestically). Sales tax still applies and is usually collected by the carrier (either courier or post). A major factor can be the charge for clearing customs levied by the couriers, like UPS and FedEx. Canada post charges a nominal fee (around $5).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:40 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

The problem with Fanes (Like Celestions) is the amount of different types.

I remember seeing that the speaker I have (AX12-150L) was the high power handling, modern version of the 50 Watt - 2in Voice Coil used in some Hiwatt Cabs., but I am not a Fane Expert

Then there is the Crescendo - More or less a British JBL.

The AXA12 - Fane's Celestion "Blue"

The AX12 with 1-1/2 Voice Coil - Fane's answer to the Celection Vintage 30, A bit more midrange crunch without the V30's "icepick".

Then I am seeing a lot of low wattage cast frame late 1960s/early 1970s stuff also.

I think I am looking for a AX12 type with the smaller voice coil. I think it would complement the AX12-150L, and would sound good with open back cabinets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:05 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

DUTY
------
NAFTA - certain items are duty free. If you have filed a NAFTA cert with a carrier like UPS, FedEx, they wont charge you duty. OTW, you might get charged incorrectly and have to get it back from the government.
This applies to business and individuals.

Canada Post does their best based on the documents shipped with the goods but I have received the same items with duty & then No duty. Getting any money back from the Govt. is very time consuming, but Posts 'brokerage' charges are small.

TAX
----
Importing into Canada via courier, business will not get charged PST if you have the correct papers on file. Taxes are based on CDN value current exchange rates.
GST will be charged but a business can usually recover it.

Individuals Importing into Canada via Canad Post , will get charged GST & PST. Taxes are based on CDN value current exchange rates.
Businesses with a PST number should not get charged PST. GST will be charged and the business can recover it.

Individuals have no escape. They have to pay both G & PST.

Bottom Line is: Using any courier is expensive for consumers. Avoid it if possible. The brokerage charges are usually very high and taxes are unavoidable . Plus you risk paying duty if you havent got a NAFTA certificate on file with the courier. By Canad Post you are at the mercy of the Canada Revenue Agency to decide what dudy is applicable. Most times, discrepencies can be avoided if you know the Harmonized Tax code for the item(s) you are importing AND this is included in the paperwork with the package.

Good Luck!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:55 am 
Novice
Novice

I've been running Thames in my Avatar 2-12 for about 4 years now. I have both open and closed backs for it. I use the open back most of the time.

Huge sounding setup with my Marwatt and Hiwatts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:33 am 
Expert
Expert

How do the Thames speakers compare in your opinion with Fanes in a Hiwatt cab? Are they close in tone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:15 am 
Novice
Novice

zaphod wrote:
How do the Thames speakers compare in your opinion with Fanes in a Hiwatt cab? Are they close in tone?

I've never tried a real Hiwatt cab, so I have no baseline other than other people's recordings, but they sound pretty close to me. I don't have a golden ear either, so take that for what it's worth.......

The only Fanes I have ever played are the "OEM" ones that came in my Swanson "Hylight style" ported 2-12 cab. They were a bit dark sounding in that cab when compared to Thames or Tonkers, but they sound awesome in my open back 2-12 combo cab that my Triwatt is going in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:25 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Quote:
We've been working with Tayden in the UK to produce a Vintage Hiwatt speaker based on their F Series speaker

Any progress on this front Stephen??

Joe G

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:05 pm 
Expert
Expert

what happened with this??????
Need to know because I'm JAC and I'm BACK :bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye: :shock: :shock: :shock: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:
Sorry; really, like to know.
Love to get my hands on a couple.
I know Stephen; you 1st :chatter: :chatter: :chatter:
Although you might regret me being able to read a schematic again.

Hey!!!!!!
Where's the Ampeg bass amp by the way?????? :snooze: :snooze: :snooze: :snooze: :snooze:
Hmmmmmm :) :) :) :)
littlejac