trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2024 10:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:09 pm 

Hi guyz,
I'M new here but I already know a couple of guyz from other forums!
I heard many good comments on those Trinity amps and I'm wondering if I can suit my need with one of them!

I'M looking for a darker/britsh sound to get the stoner (Sleep, Earthless, Orange Goblin, Kyuss, etc) sound, do you think the Triwatt is good for that with the 3 stages of gain or I'll have to go somewhere else??

I'm mainly playin' with Strat, Tele and SG, my SG is two whole steps down and my two dirts are Fuzz Face and a Green Muff. I'm lookin' for a loud, heavy and dark overdrived tone with mid and sustain in the matamp/orange/Electrics amps area.

If you don't know those band here's a link to a song for a little listening! Have fun and Thanks in advance!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:09 pm 

ooops, forgot to put the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj9IAvv32wE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:00 am 

Personally, any good tube amp with a good clean + a good fuzz is going to get you tone for that sort of music.
Hiwatt-style amps, which the triwatt is, take pedals extremely well. Definitely recommended there.

In that video they have Laneys and Greens (matamp / orange). Not sure which is for bass and which is for guitar. I'm not very knowledgeable on Laney amps but they run in the Marshall family from what I know.

So going vintage marshall-style is an option, which the 18watt kit is styled after (but low wattage, obviously)

The only orange-style kit I know of is from another company, and it supposedly isn't too accurate. Even their new amps I don't believe are like the old, and going for Matamp in UK would be an expensive option. So either vintage Orange/matamp or hiwatt-style (like the triwatt) would be a good bet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:11 pm 

The Triwat seems nice!
Byt I wonder why you're saying the 18 watters is not big enough? I'm pretty if I crank it that will be heavy enough to rip people around me, no?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:57 pm 

Its perfectly big for most needs, but it is 'low wattage' compared to a traditional 50 or 100w plexi

Its also a different circuit, although certain versions are modified to be plexi-like (and trinity offers one like this)

So its not a matter of loudness, just that its different than traditional plexi's, but can be made to get a similar sound

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:40 am 

The "plexi" concept is really obscure to me! I know it's realiate to a certain era of Marshall amp but not much!
Can you explain more, please? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:55 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Ti-Ron wrote:
The "plexi" concept is really obscure to me! I know it's realiate to a certain era of Marshall amp but not much!
Can you explain more, please? :D

Yes, early in '66 when Marshall was making 50 / 100 watt amps, they used a piece of gold painted perspex for a panel so they got nicknamed plexi. That was the definitieve sound of the time. The plexi lead used .022 coupling caps, drives the PI harder and the normal lead channel has 220uf cathode bypass cap so it's really ballsy.

Same stuff on the 18 watt plexi we make.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:00 pm 
Expert
Expert

Well, there's really no simple answer to this question, but that also implies that anything will work if you set it up right! How that for not being helpful at all! :)

You're right in my wheelhouse here as I'm a big fan of the stoner & desert rock stuff. Hard not to be...Sheavy is from here! In fact their new guitarist is a pal of mine.

The simple answer is it doesn't really matter as the boys use such a wide variety of gear. I've got Kyuss clips with Josh playing through everything from what appears to be JTM45 half-stack to a Plexi Bass 100 through what appears to be a 8x10. He plays Ampegs these days (I think). Some of the dudes dig old Sunn bass heads. A lot of them generally play through the rhythm pickup to make things even thicker & sludgier. Some of them use natural overdrive (with the amps on cremate) while others rely on various fuzz & OD boxes, or a combination of the two. I don't know if Mike Amott (Spiritual Beggars) plays through a Dual Rec, but it sure sounds like he does on some of the live recordings.

If I were going to choose a Trinity as a baseline, I personally would go with one of the 18w variations along with a boost and/or fuzz depending on what type of tone you wanted. The Triwatt is a little too "hi-fi" in general, but I did have it copping a pretty cool Fu Manchu fuzz thing with my SG straight in with the channel vols & OD way up.

BTW, I suspect the guitar in the Sleep vid is running through the Laney AOR. That tone sounds very Laney to my ears. I know they boys were Sabbath junkies also, so I wouldn't be surprised if there a Dallas Rangemaster Treble Booster pushing it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:10 pm 

Thanks Stephen! You definitly know your stuff! ;)

Emohawk: Hi! :D Thanks for all that infos! I now know a new band from here! : sHeavy are nice! I'm listening to their songs on Myspace right now!
You are right, Sleep are Sabbath junky, the only info I have on their gear is that they switch to green matamp during their last days! And the D*A*M* Sonic Titan is tweaked for getting their sound!

I think I'M set to the 18W Plexi, now I just need to save more money befor getting this nice sound! :D

Thanks for all you help guyz!

P.S. Now I'll read for the possible options to put on the Plexi!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:40 am 
Expert
Expert

I think the 18w Plexi will get you where you want to go. It's what I'd choose for that vibe unless I wanted MONSTROUS volume.

A few points of interest about Sheavy...

- their original name was "Green Machine" - yes, named after the Kyuss tune.
- When they first released "The Electric Sleep" it was all over the internet as a "lost Sabbath track". The boys still get a charge out of that. I think there's still a Youtube post actually...
- the singer once auditioned for Tony Iommi
- One of their albums was produced by Mike Butcher (of "Sabotage" fame)