trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2024 10:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Metroamps JTM45
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:16 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I hope I dont get run out of town here.... but I was considering buying a kit from a Metroamps JTM45.

ANyone have any experiences with that amp or particular kit?

Just having builders withdrawl.... come on Tramp!

AJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:31 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I started out there before deciding it was just too much Marshall for studio use and came over to the 18 watt side. To me Metroamp seems like the Trinity of the higher power Marshalls, very high quality kits and a great forum :D
With that said, why not roll your own? You must know the drill by now. Start sourcing those parts fella!!! :lol:

Joe G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:38 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

joeyvelour wrote:
I started out there before deciding it was just too much Marshall for studio use and came over to the 18 watt side. To me Metroamp seems like the Trinity of the higher power Marshalls, very high quality kits and a great forum :D
With that said, why not roll your own? You must know the drill by now. Start sourcing those parts fella!!! :lol:

Joe G

I dont want to source out parts... not being lazy, but my time is at a super premium these days. I barelyhave enough time to fit in some practice time. I am selling my woodworking business (in the middle of it) and trying to rebuild/relocate... 2010 is going to be an interesting year for me :)

I want to buy everything - pay for postage one time. Just easier that way!

AJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:06 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

SO, I guess no one has built one then...

I will get a kit... will let you all know how that goes :)

AJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:44 am 
Expert
Expert

Hey bro. As I mentioned in your GC thread I sourced nearly all the parts for my 2204 from Metroamp. The only things that weren't were the chassis, faceplates & head box (which can be seen in the Trinity gallery BTW).

I picked up their pre-packaged pot & wiring bundles & ordered the caps (SOZO, Sprague & F&T) to my slightly tweaked specs. I also ordered their 50w Drake clone iron (by Heyboer).

So, I haven't built one of their kits, but I have used the bundled parts they put in their kits (basically their 50w Plexi kit). No complaints.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:49 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Emohawk wrote:
Hey bro. As I mentioned in your GC thread I sourced nearly all the parts for my 2204 from Metroamp. The only things that weren't were the chassis, faceplates & head box (which can be seen in the Trinity gallery BTW).

I picked up their pre-packaged pot & wiring bundles & ordered the caps (SOZO, Sprague & F&T) to my slightly tweaked specs. I also ordered their 50w Drake clone iron (by Heyboer).

So, I haven't built one of their kits, but I have used the bundled parts they put in their kits (basically their 50w Plexi kit). No complaints.

Should I stick with the stock transformers or go with the upgrades? I think there are two different metroamp ones and a MM (I think thats mercury magnetics?) the cost is $180/$230/$320 respectively. Is more expensive always better?

AJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:20 am 
Expert
Expert

Didn't know George had two versions of the transformers.

<pause>

Ah - right. The second version has a clone of the Radio Spares output transformer. Same PT I think. I don't know if it's worth an extra 50 bucks. I'm not familiar with what the difference would be off hand. Maybe one of our guru pals here could comment.

As for upgrading to the MM iron, from what I've read they're top notch but with a cork-sniffing factor involved. I don't know that the difference in tone (in this case) would be worth the extra coin, or even desirable depending on what you want to accomplish.

I would expect that the Heyboers (the Metroamp units) are closer to original JTM45 iron and might sound more "authentic". The MM iron would likely alter the base JTM45 tone a touch giving more of a "boutique" factor.

BTW, if you look closely at the transformer drop-down you'll see that deleting the transformers drops the shipping weight by 16 pounds...just to give you an idea of how beefy the iron is.