trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2024 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:45 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I have been on a bit of a buying bender lately.

On a whim, I purchased a clone of a Trainwreck ROcket (a 4x el84 based amp) from a fellow in Toronto.

It is made by a guy in Florida, Mark Kane.

Might be here tomorrow... anyone interested in seeing a guts shot of it?

I may be nuts, considering the price I paid for it, but it was still a lot less than a real trainwreck! :)

AJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:07 am 
Expert
Expert

I'd be interested in seeing that one. I have a Rocket on my "builds to attempt" list. Funny how that list just keeps growing...

So after tossing the rubles for this, are you still thinking about another build?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:14 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Emohawk wrote:
I'd be interested in seeing that one. I have a Rocket on my "builds to attempt" list. Funny how that list just keeps growing...

So after tossing the rubles for this, are you still thinking about another build?

oh the JTM45 is happening... :) Just saw the chance to get the wreck clone and went for it.

I am just finishing lunch and then I have 15 minutes to try her out before I goback to work....

I think I will never be done building/buying both amps and guitars... there are worse hobbies to be involved in :) (I dont drink - too much - dont smoke, no ATV or skidoo, etc music and rc model planes are my only vices :) )

AJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:10 pm 
Expert
Expert

ajcoholic wrote:
music and rc model planes are my only vices :) )

AJC

Well, considering how much Layden tosses on rc, I know that ain't a cheap hobby either! :)

I'm much the same though. Don't drink (much :)), don't smoke, no illicit habits. Just this stuff, and my bike which is kinda like breathing so I don't count it... :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:43 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

yup.. some of my planes would have bought me a Les Paul (or two) and a good amp... but its all good! :)

I played the Kanwreck for a few hours tonight over at my base players place. Very touch sensitive - it really responds to how hard you dig into the strings.

It sounds very much like my 15 watter to my ears ( my original 15) just louder and maybe more grit. I want to A/B them through my Trinity 2x12 cab when I get a chance to see how close they do sound.

A real Trainwreck Rocket (one of 8 made) is selling in the US for $45,000 dollars.... wow. I wonder how close sounding the clone is to the real thing... I wont ever know!

AJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:18 am 
Expert
Expert

Almost positive there is more than 8 real KF Rocket's out there. How do you know there are 8?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:48 am 
Experienced
Experienced

kurtlives wrote:
Almost positive there is more than 8 real KF Rocket's out there. How do you know there are 8?

http://www.ultrasoundampsales.com/

search under trainwreck rocket. They said Ken made only about 100 wrecks, with only about 8 known to be the rocket model.

AJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:11 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

In my Dave hunter amp book (just re reading it for the umpteenth time) in his interview with KF, Ken says he made 12 Rockets, and about 100 complete amps.

He is very much against clones as well - and crazy about every detail such as wire type/insulation type, etc.

I would love to hear what a real trainwreck sounds like... but I know thats not going to happen (at least not inperson withme playing it).

AJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:39 pm 
Expert
Expert

If sign up at Amp Garage (its a forum) they have an entire section devoted to Train Wrecks (and Dumbles as well!). You can find basically the answer to any question about Wrecks there. In the files section there are pics of real wrecks. A few guys with real KF Wrecks hang out there too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:24 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I was playing my Trinity 15 (original 1 channel amp) vs the wreck' tonight for a few hours.

The 15 is much cleaner, brighter and stays clean until the volume is quite loud (I know I am comparing a 15 watt and 30+ watt amps) and less touch sensitive but still cleans up when the guitar volume is lowered a bit.

The wreck starts to break up earlier / at a lower volume, and is much more touch sensitive... ie, the harder the strings are hit the more dirt you get. Very pronounced.

Both are kick ass amps! :) Both take the same pedals very well.

I still have to play the TC-15 against the wreck to see how it compares.

I think some day I need to make a dc30'ish amp. :)

AJC