trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2024 2:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:04 pm 

Hi everyone,
I built a Spitfire clone following the Ceri@tone layout and it was working great until last night. I hit the Fat Boost switch and I started getting a stactic-like rumble...very similar to a guitar cable making bad/intermittent connection with an input jack. I immediately switched the Fat Boost back off and my signal was good again then the volume started dropping and went out completely. Switched the amp off for a few minutes then back on and now my volume is very low. Any suggestions on what to check? Swapped out the 12ax7 preamp tube but same result...maybe the pi is bad?? Don't recall swapping that one, it was late and I didn't want to do anything stupid as I was tired.

Here's what I was planning on doing to troubleshoot:

1. Swap out both 12ax7's for known good tubes.
2. Continuity check on the 25uF/25V Fat Boost caps to see if they went bad.
3. Remove FB switch.

Not sure what else to do after that.

I should mention that the amp worked fine for a couple of weeks of rehearsal and gigging. Also, I'm using a 5AR4 and not a GZ34 rectifier. The FB switch never seemed to affect the tone at all. Was considering removing it anyways. Any and all advice greatly appreciated!

Last edited by barryman on Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Amp fixed
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:36 am 

Good news everyone, I clipped the leads to the Fat Boost switch and reinstalled the tubes that were in the amp when the volume drop occurred and presto - amp fired right up. I'm guessing a cap went bad as that was the only variable I removed from the equation but I'm rocking again.

Post subject: Re: Amp fixed
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:05 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

barryman wrote:
Good news everyone, I clipped the leads to the Fat Boost switch and reinstalled the tubes that were in the amp when the volume drop occurred and presto - amp fired right up. I'm guessing a cap went bad as that was the only variable I removed from the equation but I'm rocking again.

Sorry I missed this. I would have expected a component or solder joint. Glad it's fixed.