trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2024 4:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:21 am 
Friend
Friend

Hi guys,

so we have a fiber optic line coming into our house, and in July I´ll get Internet, Phone, and Television over it.

What got me thinking was the TV connection. Right now we have cable, so there´s a coax that goes from the point were the cable enters the home to an outlet in the living room.

TV over fiber is a little bit different. There will be a modem were the fiber enters the house, and from there ther has to be a LAN connection to a settop box near the tv.

There are two options:

- run a UTP cable under the house and have it come up through the floor were the TV is.
- use these LAN over electricity things

Now for my (perhaps stupid) question: Will the second, easy, option cause any trouble with my guitar amps ? Since the lan signal practically goes to ever power outlet in the house...

I´m hoping not, because the first option isn´t really an option. I´m afraid of spiders, and will probably die when I have to go under the house.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:02 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Couldn't you put a wireless router at the modem and but a wireless attachment for the PC or buy a laptop with wireless?
Stew

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:47 pm 
Friend
Friend

The modem has a wireless router built in for internet access. The connection i meant was for the television signal to pass from the modem to the settopbox at the tv actually. The provider doesn't memtion wireless as an option for the television signal.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:54 pm 
Novice
Novice

Boom wrote:
The modem has a wireless router built in for internet access. The connection i meant was for the television signal to pass from the modem to the settopbox at the tv actually. The provider doesn't memtion wireless as an option for the television signal.

You might try a "Wireless Gaming Adapter". I've never tried it on any of my satellite boxes, but I use one on a wired network printer. You plug your rj45 cable into it and it relays the connection to your wireless router/hub/switch.

- This Space For Rent -

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:36 pm 
Friend
Friend

b0b0 wrote:
You might try a "Wireless Gaming Adapter". I've never tried it on any of my satellite boxes, but I use one on a wired network printer. You plug your rj45 cable into it and it relays the connection to your wireless router/hub/switch.

That may be worth a shot.I´ll get in touch wtih them to ask if that´ll work, thanks.
As far as the LAN over electricity goes, no interference to be expected on my amps, you think ? You know, like what a dryer, or washing-machine on the same group might cause ?