trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 7:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tone Stack Tweaks?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:34 am 
Novice
Novice

I would like to hear from folks how they might specifically (meaning which component/ value, and exactly where on the board) tweek the TRIWATT for a little less mids, highs, etc. Dr Z did this on his forum for the m@z 18 and it was most helpful. I know the amp has a hi fi type tone stack that seems to me similar to Ampegs. I just can not get much use out of the treble and mids pots.

Last edited by tubetone74 on Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:00 pm 
Expert
Expert

I wonder if you've got the controls wired up correctly then. Personally, I would really hesitate to mess with the Hiwatt tone stack. It's quite a bit more complicated than the Fender/Marshall type, and when it's working correctly, I think it's perfect. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:29 am 
Novice
Novice

Well, I went back and checked and I can not find a wiring problem. That of course does not mean there is not one. I have made mistakes before. I did play it yesterday w/ the Thames speaker I just got. Sounded good but still not as flexible controlling mids and maybe upper mids as I hoped turning the pots. I know the tone stack on the Hiwatts are very different from Fender/Marshall, etc. Maybe my ears are just not ready for this sound. Don't get me wrong, this is a great amp. I had a keyboard player run through it and it was fab.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:32 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I find the mid tone control very effective on my amp. I now have the controls set at about 2 oclock for the B and T and 11 oclock for the M.

AJC

Post subject: Re: Tone Stack Tweaks?
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:29 pm 
Expert
Expert

FYI, I have since come across one tone stack tweak, on 18watt.com of all places. OK, it was in the context of a thread about the Marwatt.

rjgtr wrote:
On the Marwatt schematic, try replacing C14 (the .001) in the tonestack to .022 or even .047. That will increase the bass, but the amp will still sound like a Hiwatt.
rjgtr wrote:
...The DR is definitely more of a guitar oriented design. But the CP is what Pete and John used. Interesting, both also have a little more low end than the DR. You can simulate the same effect with the DR stack by changing the .001 cap between the 100k and treble control to a .047. I did this on my DR103 and is a lot fatter sounding.

I think that one's C6 on the Triwatt schematic. I guess you could use various bigger cap sizes like 5nF, 0.01uF, 0.022uF or 0.047uF, depending on how much you want to fatten the tone.