trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 7:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A tale of Two Tramps
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:59 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Great product from what I have seen so far and fast shipping. Not opening anything else until Rob gets home. First time amp and cab builder.
Thinking of doing the cab in either tolex or Canadian Piano Black (truck bed liner). KT66 and alnico speaker in one and whatever Rob decides he is using.
Here is my new friend sitting with the one she is replacing as the upstairs amp and the studio goes back to the studio.

Tele's make the best noise

Post subject: Re: A tale of Two Tramps
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:30 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

We'll be watching you. Very intersted in that speaker there!
Fun project to do together! Be patient with him. It will be interesting to see how a Virgin builder handles it!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:33 pm 
Expert
Expert

The KT66 sounds amazing in the Tramp, it's quite a treat.

Good luck...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:26 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

coco wrote:
We'll be watching you. Very intersted in that speaker there!
Fun project to do together! Be patient with him. It will be interesting to see how a Virgin builder handles it!

Nah, he's a drummer :twisted:

I am very interested in this speaker as well. I also want to hear what the vet 10 sounds like as well. The difference in change would come close to buying an unadornded Tramp Box.

I am not sure what to do with the box. I have blonde and green tolex and grill cloth in the supplied black, oxblood with gold. Plus a Black, grey and sliver. Maybe a garnet shellac with oxblood cloth. I wonder how that would handle a cold drink or three sitting on it.

I am leaning towards the green tolex with the black cloth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:34 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

kurtlives wrote:
The KT66 sounds amazing in the Tramp, it's quite a treat.

Good luck...

Yes, we triedthat last weekend. Very nice sounding, fat, ballsy tone. So nice to be able to swap them around! :happydance:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:30 pm 
Expert
Expert

kurtlives wrote:
The KT66 sounds amazing in the Tramp, it's quite a treat...

Now that I'd really love to hear. Even more so because it's using one of my own KT66s. :lol:

What OT impedance setting and cathode resistor value did you use? When you can, try an EL34 in it for some great Marshally tones. 2.5k OT impedance, and the same bias resistor value as for the 6L6GC should be good.

Just no one tell Brent about this, as he then won't know which Tramp option to buy! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:15 pm 
Expert
Expert

zaphod wrote:
kurtlives wrote:
The KT66 sounds amazing in the Tramp, it's quite a treat...

Now that I'd really love to hear. Even more so because it's using one of my own KT66s. :lol:

What OT impedance setting and cathode resistor value did you use? When you can, try an EL34 in it for some great Marshally tones. 2.5k OT impedance, and the same bias resistor value as for the 6L6GC should be good.

Just no one tell Brent about this, as he then won't know which Tramp option to buy! :lol:

The 66's they were Genalex weren't they? Either way it was a nice tube. Frickin huge though :bugeye:

The KT66 was my favorite output tube by far. The compression and feel of the amp were amazing. Very smooth breakup when pushed but still lots of headroom in the Tweed mode. A bit more low end with the 66 which is to be expected, the lows were very nice though, tight and warm.

5K/6L6 setting with the 66.
You could install a switch ala Crucnh/Munch in the Tramp with the extra 1/4" hole. Might be interesting to here different tubes at with different primary Zs on the OT.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:48 pm 
Expert
Expert

kurtlives wrote:
The 66's they were Genalex weren't they?

Actually they're Chinese made Golden Dragon Retro KT66s - ie Shuguang's premium glass. Brent calls them "Chinese Food Restuarant" KT66s. :lol: Still real nice tubes though. That pair was actually a little present from the guys at Marshall. Genelex used the name Gold Lion on some of their premium grade KT tubes, which is probably what you were thinking of. You can now get Russian made "Gold Lion" KT66s, complete with the side getters. They sound fantastic IMO. :D

kurtlives wrote:
5K/6L6 setting with the 66.

Did you check the dissipation? 6L6s and KT66s bias quite differently.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:21 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Some progress on cabs. The one on the right is gutted Peavey that was for a 12" but now house a WHS Vetran 10". The 10" can be swapped out by taking out the 4 original mounting screws and replacing with a 12". Still have to enlarge the grill, paint the 10" baffle plate, cut out the control panel opening and covering. The plan at this time is to do a denim cover with several coats of laquer. Grill colour still up in the air.

Last edited by Taz13 on Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:16 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Manual page 25 has the heater wiring swapping phase, the layout and print are correct

Step 13 of the assembly guide seems to be missing.

Tried doing the mosfet(familiar style of wrapping there :lol: ) install 2 ways, first by the book, no problem
Second did the bends and jumper by the book but then installed it on the board (no solder)
set the board on its supports and slid the mosfet into place, works just as well for an alternative.

One terminal board was missing, I wouldn't have used it if it was there, I prefer my power to be soldered and heat shrink for neutral with hot going direct to the fuse. One mounting nut was missing(I have lots of those) and I have an extra 1mf/50v that I have not found a place for and it is not on bom
560ohm also not on the bom
Power cord slightly small for strain relief to grab as well hole seems oversized or the strain relief is smaller then the spec.(my solution was a mid sized tywrap to crimp ththe strain relief closed, then slid tight against chassis. two drops cyano and I have a solid power cord install.)

Possibly change the coax shield colour on the layout to call attention to it.

Almost done

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:09 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Thanks for the feedback. It's great!

Quote:
extra 1mf/50v
Extra in case you wanted to change voicing . Use instead of .47 uf.

BOM Updated with 560 ohm

Heater Polarity in document corrected. Layout is OK.

Power connection to board added to manual.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:52 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Seems I have 2 extra 220K ohm resistors 1 metal oxide, 1 metal film

Cap has been explained

Shouldn't R2 1Meg ohm connect to the other end of the C1 rather then the way it is, between C1 and the input. Cause that can make me part of the DC voltage divider cct

Ready to power up the first of two Tramps, be doing it tomorrow as a few MGD found their way into my system.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:06 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

You can put it at either end. We've tried both. Did notice the schematic needs to refelct the layout in this case. :oops:

Good luck Tuesday! Stay away from the MGDs.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:37 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Not only did you not exagerate that this is a buttery little tone BIT*H, you were if anything being very consrvative about its tone.

And I haven't even gotten out of tweed for very long:D :D :D :D 8) 8) 8) 8)

After trying for a short while

Al'right I checked opeation of pull switches with VRM still at 400
MV max
bass/treble mid way

I think I am in love with a Tramp.

I can't remember an amp I have loved as much so fast

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:03 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Quote:
I can't remember an amp I have loved as much so fast

Tramps have a way of doing that.

Congrats on your successful build. A Love Story begins! Tone Bee indeed!

As always, we're really glad it worked for you, and that you like it. :D

Keep us up to date on the romance please!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:09 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Tramp 2 is now about to start.
Going to do a small head with lots of vents and room.
If it can take a KT77 it can handle a KT88. :twisted:
Going to put in a rotary switch with bias resistors for each tube type
in place of the existing switch.
Now I have some planning to do for tube location.
Might use a board and spacers above the preamp end of the chassis.
Installing a switch for selecting the second PT winding both to match tubes and to mismatch.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:21 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

The location of holes for tube sockets on the top deck (for a head) have small pilot holes. I would have punched out for a head if I knew.
Sounds like you're pounding in all the features in #2!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:24 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I just started using a WGS EF-65 (Celestion G12-65 clone) with the triwatt and tramp. Its in a 1x12 sealed back cab that sounds right with the triwatt and even more right with the 6l6 tramp(pull switches pulled). So far this is my favorite triwatt speaker and I really like the combination of it and the tramps alnico. The cab is a little strange for me, but its growing on me. Western I am not!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:54 am 
Experienced
Experienced

The jam started at 7:30 and finished after 1:00' The star of the jam was the Tramp. Ran it for the first time in jam with all new stock tubes, a EH 12ax7 and a JJ 6L6, guitar was a Vintage LP copy. It was the goto amp for tone with the 6v6, but now with the 6l6 it is (as Pierre McGuire says) A MONSTER!!!!!!
Available amps were my Triwatt, Tweed, Peavey Windsor Studio, Peavey Valve King Royal 8 (sounds great with the Tramp). Everyone wanted the Tramp. Volumes dimed, treble and bass about 10 and the VRM moved around from about 7 to max depending on tone desired. Master volume was the guitar volume.
Next nickel bonus, It looks like at least 1 miner will be ordering a Tramp and selling his Vetta and one will be using a Tramp with his messy recto. Their wives will make the final decision. :D
Man does that thing sound huge with a 6l6. :D The 6v6 will only go back in for recording.
Second Tramp will start construction, sometime early Oct. Will be paired with a eminence reignmaker or a wgs ef-65

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:26 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Taz, nice to hear it was a Go To amp for the jam. The 6L6 does open it up a lot! Hooked up to a 212 you'd never know it was a two tube amp!!

Thanks for the feedback. Looking forward to more orders & feedback! Thanks!