trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 9:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:05 pm 
Novice
Novice

I'm a bit of a Gilmour freak which is why I built my TriWatt in the first place - I knew that I wanted a Hiwatt for that big punchy sound. The Triwatt gives it on spades for sure, but I've been on a quest to find the perfect overdrive to give me that "Pulse" sound - huge, fat, and rich in harmonics. The Triwatt with a nice analog delay and a bit of reverb is pure Gilmour with a Strat but the overdrive sound has been a bit more elusive.

I have a Strat with the EMG DG-20 setup that sounds and plays great. It's a Mexican, but it easily the equal of any American Strat after the EMGs and a Callaham bridge. After a pro setup it plays like a custom shop. So the guitar end is nailed down.

I've gone through about 1.2 zillion Big Muff Pi's trying to find the Gilmour sound. All of them sounds just "ok". I built the BYOC Large Beaver and while it sounds like the best Muff I've ever played it still didn't sound fundamentally like Gilmour. Yeah I know you've got to have his hands (god I wish) but I just couldn't get the tone in the right ballpark. It was always just to muddy and undefined - which is the exact opposite of Gilmour. Something was missing - definition and shimmer.

But I think I found the secret tonight. I stuck a Boss SD-1 ($20 Criaglist special) in front of it and dialed the gain way down to just a hint of crunch. I hit put the BYOC Large beaver behind it in flat mids mode, cranked up the gain, and WHAM there it was - pure harmonic bliss. Holy crap what a tone!! A bit of delay and my trusty CE-2 through my Trademark 60 on the left side in stereo and I felt like I was on the stage. I can't play worth a crap but I could just grab one note and hold it forever.

If you have a Muff and a Triwatt you've got to try this. I think you'll be pleasently surprised.

Of course you've probably all been doing this for years and I'm just the retarded guy that didn't get the message though :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:25 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Sounds like you've found your holy grail. What's next?
I wonder if some of that Gilmour tone was done post production?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:40 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

disconnector,

Nice post. Like you, I also absolutely love Gilmour's tones. I also built a BYOC Large Beaver and find it the be the best Muff I've ever heard. Granted, I never played an old one from the early or mid '70s, but any I've tried have simply sounded terrible. With just about any Strat into even a Fender amp, you're halfway there to Gilmour tone with the Beaver.

From a lot of what I've read, especially at gilmourish.com, Gilmour tends to employ both a good Muff and a very light OD. So it sounds like your usage of the SD-1 dialled way back is spot on.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:20 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I haven't built a Triwatt (Yet :twisted: ) but I'm wondering if either of you get a gilmourish tone with a Les Paul or other Humbucker equipped guitar.
Stew

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:41 pm 
Novice
Novice

Stoo wrote:
I haven't built a Triwatt (Yet :twisted: ) but I'm wondering if either of you get a gilmourish tone with a Les Paul or other Humbucker equipped guitar.
Stew

Run Like Hell was recorded with a Les Paul with P-90s :D

To be honest, my humbucker equipped guitars sound great through my Triwatt (Ibanez RG and PRS) but they don't sound in the least like older Gilmour. Not bad, but a totally different vibe for me.

But ya know, he played a Filtertron equipped Duo Jet during his Royal Albert Hall video and his tone was pure Gilmour. Ya just gotta have his hands I guess :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:40 pm 
Expert
Expert

Check out the Shine On You Crazy Diamond clips in this thread - viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2043

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:55 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

disconnector wrote:
Stoo wrote:
Stew

To be honest, my humbucker equipped guitars sound great through my Triwatt (Ibanez RG and PRS) but they don't sound in the least like older Gilmour. Not bad, but a totally different vibe for me.

But ya know, he played a Filtertron equipped Duo Jet during his Royal Albert Hall video and his tone was pure Gilmour. Ya just gotta have his hands I guess :shock:

I knew that compressed solo in "Another Brick in the Wall, Pt. 2" was a Les Paul w/ P-90s, probably a goldtop. I never read that about "Run Like Hell". Every time I saw Floyd play that song live, Gilmour used a Tele.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:08 pm 
Novice
Novice

RMosack wrote:
disconnector wrote:
Stoo wrote:
Stew

I knew that compressed solo in "Another Brick in the Wall, Pt. 2" was a Les Paul w/ P-90s, probably a goldtop. I never read that about "Run Like Hell". Every time I saw Floyd play that song live, Gilmour used a Tele.

I'm an idiot - yer right. Got my songs backward (or is that upside down?).

But regardless - it's amazing that Gilmour sounds like Gilmour no matter whether he plays through a Strat or a Gretch or a Les Paul - or a HiWatt or a Deluxe or a Twin. It's just the mans incredible hands.