trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2024 10:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:36 pm 
Expert
Expert

Hey all. So I got energetic this evening (or a little crazy depending on your point of view) and decided to cut a new baffle for my Tramp cab to see if I could fit a 12" speaker in there. Well, here's proof that it CAN be done, and with room to spare.

This is a ceramic Eminence Lady Luck I had kicking around (came from a Valve Jr cab). As you can see, a ceramic 12" will fit, even with a 6L6. I don't know if it'll work with a big-bottle KT-66 (or a KT-88), but I think it just might. There's about 1.5" of clearance to spare. Note that in order to use the inside speaker jack I'd need a right-angle plug as the magnet will interfere with a straight plug.

No comments on the tone with this speaker. There's a reason it's just kicking around not being used. It does sound great with a Tiny Terror though.

I haven't tried to fit the 12" Red Fang in there yet. Maybe a job for later in the week. It will be interesting to see if a big plug magnet alnico will slip in there. The Fang does have a big bell that's pretty deep, so we'll see.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:51 pm 
Novice
Novice

The stain on that cab goes well with the couch fabric!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:37 pm 
Expert
Expert

Ha! Unintentional I assure you! That couch has a lot of miles on it - like 30 years of miles. It came from my grandparents place. My grandfather passed away just a couple weeks after I closed on my house and he left me all the furniture. Even after he was gone he was still helping me out. I miss that man.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:22 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Yes, we did it with this Tramp: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2086

A Celestion CL80 fit the KT66, but this is in an original Tramp cab, not the more slanted fronts ones we do now. They are 1" narrower at the top but I think it would fit too.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:27 am 
Novice
Novice

Any concerns with the rather strong magnetic field from the speaker that close to the tubes interfering with their performance? I suppose if a few of you have tried this, it is not a problem.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:17 pm 
Expert
Expert

I noticed no issues last night with the 6L6. I dropped the Eminence Red Fang in there afterward, which is a couple inches deeper than the speaker in the pic, and there were no issues there either. I will say the 12" Fang may be a little too deep if you plan on plugging into an external cab. It's impossible to plug a speaker cable in without removing the chassis, or at least you have to loosen the chassis bolts enough to roll it back a bid so you can clear the speaker bell housing.

Note that I have the later version of the Tramp cab with the slant front. With the same dimensions & a straight front it would actually be an even tighter fit with the Red Fang as the bell will be rolled higher toward the speaker jacks. I doubt it would be possible to use a straight jack in that case. I'll post a pic with the Red Fang when I get home today.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:49 pm 
Expert
Expert

As promised, a couple of pics with the 12" Red Fang mounted in there. Please pardon the temporary hack-job speaker cable. Once I decide which speaker I'm going with I'll hard wire the terminals.

And a downward angle to give you a better idea of the spacing. If you're wondering, yes - the speaker plug is resting against the speaker bell. Also, as noted, it was impossible to plug that speaker cable in without removing or shifting the chassis. That may make this speaker impractical if you want to use external cabs. The inside speaker jack is pretty much inaccessible.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:52 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Tight but Would a right angle plug work?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:47 pm 
Expert
Expert

A right-angle might work, but you might have to force it a bit. I don't think the right-angle plugs with the larger metal housing would have a chance. I have a Fender cable with a narrow plastic housing that might barely get there. Not sure if you could get to the inside jack at all regardless of the plug.

This is as low & to the left that the speaker can be mounted so there's no real way to make more room. You also can't front-mount the speaker with it mounted this low without modifying the bottom front trim strip. You could go a little thinner on the baffle (I used 1/2" fir ply) but I don't know if that would be enough to make a difference.

It sure does sound nice though. Too bad this Fang is earmarked for my Bad Cat clone project. :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:46 am 
Novice
Novice

You could always move the ext. speaker jack to the rear panel. I did that on my Champion 600 because it was too hard to reach. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:26 am 
Expert
Expert

Yeah - that is an option. On another amp I once had I mounted a speaker jack on the inside side panel.