trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2024 6:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:58 am 
Experienced
Experienced

It seems most people using KT66 Tubes are using either the Chinese, or the Russian Golden Lion Reissues. Has anyone tried either the Tung-Sol or JJ KT66s.

Also, would anybody know if the Tung-Sol or JJ Tubes have PT Impedence Issues with the Triwatt.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:17 pm 
Expert
Expert

You need to be careful of buying KT66s that are actually just 6L6 guts stuck in coke bottle style glass. They don't sound like real KT66s and their impedance won't match correctly. I suspect that the "Tung-Sol" KT66s may be an example of that, since the original Tung-Sol company wasn't a manufacturer of KT66s, and Sovtek, who now own the Tung-Sol brand in North America, is known for making these fake KT66s. Sovtek/New Sensor also own the "Gold Lion" brand, but those are definitely the real deal. So I'm guessing that they're now selling their rebottled 6L6s under the "Tung-Sol" name.I would be interested to know if anyone else could confirm that. As for the JJ KT66s, I've no idea whether they're real KT66s or not. The Chinese Shuguangs are also real KT66s as far as I can tell. I have a pair of their premium "Golden Dragon Retro" KT66s and they're fine tubes. I have heard that in the past Shuguang also used to do the 6L6 in a coke bottle thing, but they're now making the real deal KT66s.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:17 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Looks like for now, I will be keeping the JJ 6V6 tubes in the Triwatt. The Triwatt, and the 20 Watt Laney Lionheart Head had no problems keeping up with the new addition to the Jam Cave, a full size drum kit.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:08 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Quote:
So I'm guessing that they're now selling their rebottled 6L6s under the "Tung-Sol" name.

Everything I read agrees with you, although New Sensor the parent company, seems to own all russian tube brands and 1 or 2 chinese, if what I read is correct.

From John Templeton's KT66 reviews on the tube store site

Quote:
Not your average KT66. In fact it’s more like an extremely rugged 6L6GC in a KT88 bottle. Heater current is the same as a 6L6 and the biasing is more like a 6L6. You might want them just for the look but the tone is all there. Big and open with very solid lows and smooth treble response. The mids are well balanced and don’t go to the extremes of sounding scooped or nasal. Like all the Tung Sol branded tubes, the build quality is top notch. The over sized base has the metal band you usually find on a KT88 tube, and the large bottle helps dissipate heat if you like to run your tubes hot or if you have cathode biasing in your amp. If your amp has “bear trap” tube retainers they will have to go because of the size of the tube's base but also the bear trap clamp will ground the metal base to the chassis and cause a malfunction. If your amp requires the tubes to pass through a hole in the chassis for socket insertion you’re also out of luck. Home audio is where I would use these bottles since they are really functional art objects. Bottles like this should be on display. If you have a Marshal head I think you might find them to be an alternative worth exploring. They will give you great tone but since they draw similar current as a 6L6 you will draw 1 amp less heater current in a 50 watt head and 2 amps less in a 100 watt head. Your power transformer will run cooler and you will get closer to the 6550 tone that many Marshall enthusiasts love.

I use them and I love the tone. I use them in the triwatt(beartraps removed) and in my peavey windsor studio.
I love the sound but prefer 6v6s in the triwatt and depending on the speaker the kt66 in the studio sometimes is changed out for a 6L6 or EL34.

Tele's make the best noise

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:56 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

ROB_PRICE wrote:
Looks like for now, I will be keeping the JJ 6V6 tubes in the Triwatt. The Triwatt, and the 20 Watt Laney Lionheart Head had no problems keeping up with the new addition to the Jam Cave, a full size drum kit.
The triwatt with kt66 with a 2x12 variable back cab loaded with high effciency speakers has no problems keeping up. It has no problem being plugged into a bass cab and working as a bass amp. The 50w SS 2x10 has problems keeping up.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2141

My jamcave is pictured in the above thread and the triwatt is an amp that quite a few guitar players in the area scared to play it. Boy does it make mistakes very noticable. But others love it just because of that, most of the guys prefer it with 6v6s in it. I seldom play it anymore, I've been seduced by a Tramp.

Tele's make the best noise