trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2024 10:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:29 pm 
Friend
Friend

I just ordered a TRIWATT kit. I am beyond stoked and excited. This is my first amp build, but I'm confident with enough patience and attention to detail I'll be able to do it...and learn a lot in the process. I've read through the forums here a LOT and it really seems there is a LOT of good support should I run into any problems.

I'm really looking forward to this. Now just to wait... :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:38 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Welcome :D
My first build was an sIII.

Then an SIIIv6.

Then a Triwatt.
The Triwatt is a little more complicated but read the instructions thoroughly, look over the parts, read the instructions again along with the safety info and build records on the forums here, ask questions (caution, sometimes we take a while to answer, don't get discouraged, someone will chime in) and you're on your way :happydance:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:09 pm 
Friend
Friend

Thanks for the vote of confidence man. I do appreciate that!

I'll definitely start a build thread of my own once the big brown box arrives :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:48 am 
Friend
Friend

One of the things I'm interested in doing after I get the amp working, is adding an FX loop to it. Ideally I want one with a Level adjustment so that it could be used with Pedal/Rack gear, since they send out different levels.

One option I saw was this... (I hope it's ok to link to a different supplier site? If not, please just remove this post, and accept my apologies)
http://metroamp.com/store/index.php?mai ... cts_id=499

Seems like a very nice circuit as well as a pretty easy install judging by the directions I read. Seems it could be made to work in almost any amp that doesn't have a Loop by tapping into the PI B+ for power and grabbing the signal off the end of the tone stack. At least that's what I read. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Stephen, you guys should think about offering something like this :) Design it so it works in all of Trinity's circuits (if that's possible, haven't looked at your other amp kits) and sell it as a kit or upgrade for amp kits.

Just random thoughts by me. I'll wait to get this kit working before I figure out what to do for an FX loop I suppose :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:13 am 
Expert
Expert

Don't forget the Triwatt is basically a vintage Hiwatt in a small box format. Then look at how many famous Hiwatt players, past or present, have ever used an FX loop. I guess there has to be one somewhere..... :? So it's not exactly something that there's much of a big demand for, especially given the fact that Hiwatt amps are so renowned for having very pedal friendly preamps.

However, if you want to have an FX loop, that's fine too. :D However, there's not a great deal of space inside the chassis for extra PCBs. That Metroamps FX loop is specifically designed for Marshalls, so I'm not so sure how well it work in a Hiwatt, which is designed very differently. It would however be pretty simple to insert a series FX loop in the vicinity of the Triwatt's MV control. The nice thing is that the Hiwatt design has an extra gain stage after the MV which can provide the recovery.

We've also done series FX loops with other Trinity amps on customer special order. But the requests have been very few and far between.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:42 am 
Friend
Friend

zaphod wrote:
Don't forget the Triwatt is basically a vintage Hiwatt in a small box format. Then look at how many famous Hiwatt players, past or present, have ever used an FX loop. I guess there has to be one somewhere..... :? So it's not exactly something that there's much of a big demand for, especially given the fact that Hiwatt amps are so renowned for having very pedal friendly preamps.

However, if you want to have an FX loop, that's fine too. :D However, there's not a great deal of space inside the chassis for extra PCBs. That Metroamps FX loop is specifically designed for Marshalls, so I'm not so sure how well it work in a Hiwatt, which is designed very differently. It would however be pretty simple to insert a series FX loop in the vicinity of the Triwatt's MV control. The nice thing is that the Hiwatt design has an extra gain stage after the MV which can provide the recovery.

We've also done series FX loops with other Trinity amps on customer special order. But the requests have been very few and far between.

Thanks for the response Zaphod!

I do realize most of the big Hiwatt guys back in the day just ran all of their pedals in front. But I'm pretty anal about my delay being after the pre-amp :lol: Not really sure why, and I'm sure it's way different on a Hiwatt. I'll probably get it built and play around with it and see if i think it even needs a loop.

Interesting points on the Gainstage after the MV...That would make recovery much easier.

I'm really hoping this thing comes in soon, I'm chomping at the bit to get started! :lol:

Post subject: Effects Loop!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:55 am 
Experienced
Experienced

I was one who was worried about the lack of Effects Loop with the delay. I don't run my preamp volume knobs much past 1 o'clock, and I don't use the overdrive, so it might be different for others, but I had no issues running the Delay before the Preamps. (Something I would not do with my Laney Lionheart Head.)

I am running a Catalinbread DLS before the Delay, so in a sense my "High Gain Preamp" is before the Delay. That said I have no need to run an Effects Loop into the Triwatt.