trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2024 9:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:25 pm 
Novice
Novice

I finished my v6 plexi build and have been playing the amp for a few days now. I absolutely love the sound of the amp running the 6v6's. The 84's sound good too, but I like the 6v6's better I have to say. After playing one gig, and one rehearsal, I have found the amp is not loud enough for my needs. I am running a very efficient 2x12 speaker set, so I cannot get any help volume wise from different speakers. Considering the fact I like the 6v6's more, what would it take to make the amp a 4 6v6 30 something watt amp? The PT already handles 4 power tube fillaments correct? So would I only need a different OT and rectifier type?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:20 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

If you're going to stick with 6V6, you can drive them harder than the 84's. That alone might do it. Review this thread for ideas

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2166&hilit=6v6

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:28 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

The PT would have to be able to handle the extra o/p power. Stephen could tell you if it's up to snuff. Same goes for the output tranny.
But.. It really depends on how much louder an amp do you want. 4 6v6s isn't going to be twice as loud as a pair. 200 watts will be twice as loud as your 20 watter!!! I don't want to totally disuade you from your experiment but personally I think if your V6 isn't loud enough I'd be looking at a Marshall 50 or even a 100. Maybe the Triwatt!.....But that's just me. :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:33 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Try this:

zaphod wrote:
Just purely for the 6V6s, the PI's tail and cathode resistors need to be changed from 56k/820 too 20k/470. This will help get more drive to the 6V6s, which have a lot less gain than EL84s. If your amp is a more recent Trinity Plexi, it may already have the 470 ohm in there, rather than the more usual Marshall 18W's 820 ohms.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:48 pm 
Novice
Novice

Stoo wrote:
The PT would have to be able to handle the extra o/p power. Stephen could tell you if it's up to snuff. Same goes for the output tranny.
But.. It really depends on how much louder an amp do you want. 4 6v6s isn't going to be twice as loud as a pair. 200 watts will be twice as loud as your 20 watter!!! I don't want to totally disuade you from your experiment but personally I think if your V6 isn't loud enough I'd be looking at a Marshall 50 or even a 100. Maybe the Triwatt!.....But that's just me. :twisted:

I'm not 100% sure how much louder it needs to be. I wouldn't think it needs to be anywhere near twice as loud though. Its kinda close now, and man it sounds absolutely amazing, thats why I dont want it to be a small gig/ bedroom amp only. I would like to play it on the medium gigs too! I could afford a couple more Trannies, but I'm not at a point now where I can afford a whole new build. I saw a 36 watt Trans set for $180. I just cant figure whether i need the PT and the OT or just the OT....
coco wrote:
Try this:

zaphod wrote:
Just purely for the 6V6s, the PI's tail and cathode resistors need to be changed from 56k/820 too 20k/470. This will help get more drive to the 6V6s, which have a lot less gain than EL84s. If your amp is a more recent Trinity Plexi, it may already have the 470 ohm in there, rather than the more usual Marshall 18W's 820 ohms.

I will try this first. Could be enough, Its for sure worth a try!
Thank you guys very much for the help.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:05 pm 
Novice
Novice

" Afford a couple more Trannies" ...... That didnt come out right..... Im a family man I want you all to know. I was speaking of amplifiers and electronics only...... :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:08 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

should be just the OT.... I have one complete, drop in 36W set here.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:26 pm 
Novice
Novice

coco wrote:
should be just the OT.... I have one complete, drop in 36W set here.

You do do you?? You looking to sell that set Stephen? Or just the OT if thats all thats needed?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:56 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

email me and we can discuss it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:39 pm 
Expert
Expert

wesmont wrote:
I saw a 36 watt Trans set for $180. I just cant figure whether i need the PT and the OT or just the OT....

For a quad of EL84s or 6V6s (ie 36W), you need both a different OT and PT.

coco wrote:
I have one complete, drop in 36W set here.

That's exactly what would be needed.