trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 10:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:09 pm 
Friend
Friend

Last week, I thought I'd try to plug in my acoustic guitar and see how it sounds through the amp. There was no sound at all. I thought maybe the preamp in the guitar had a dead battery, so I bypassed the preamp and plugged my Dean Markley in-hole pickup directly. Still nothing. I tried changing channels, still nothing. So I switched over to my electric guitar, and the volume in the bright channel was really quiet. I if the VRM was anywhere else but full on, there was no volume at all. This was the channel I had the acoustic plugged into the most. The normal channel was fine though. Just the bright channel was affected, and it was tied to the VRM somehow. I powered down, then powered up, and still the same situation. Then I powered down again, and went to get my multimeter to check the voltages. When I powered up again, the voltages were fine, so I plugged in again and everything was back to normal.

Any ideas as to what happened?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:01 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

If the other channel was fine, must be a bad connection to the first tube. Turning the VRM on high may be a coincidence??

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:15 pm 
Friend
Friend

Nope, it was definitly coupled to the VRM. I tested it multiple times. Say the VRM is full on at 5 o'clock, if it was anywhere past 3:30, we had sound, anywhere earlier, no sound at all. But that was only with the bright channel. Not the normal channel. That's what has me confused. I went back and forth a number of times to see if what I experienced wasn't a hallucination. Looking at the schem, I can't figure out what would cause this. Maybe it was a hallucination, except my wife remembers it happening too.

Is it possible that the pickup in the acoustic guitar somehow shorted out the first tube, temporarily feeding some voltage to the wrong side where it remained like a capacitor, offsetting the voltage differential thereby reducing the gain of the tube drastically, so that anything but full voltage was able to overcome the dampening? Then after powering down and allowing that capacitance to drain, everything returned to normal? does that make sense? Or am I hallucinating that possiblity as well?