Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 10:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A Tramp Story
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 1:20 pm 
Friend
Friend

Hello Trampsters,

Thank you for a very fun and rewarding weekend building these Tramps. I was one of the very last to have my amp tested on that Sunday evening around 9:30 pm. Those last few hours were pretty grueling with all of the solder fumes and intensity in trying to zip it up for final testing. My amp powered on just fine but no sound. I spent a few weekends with it going over the layout etc. and trying to find the error. After a few thoughts of retracing my steps (unsoldering and disassembling) I decided to cry for help; I did not want to chance ruining good parts or connections searching for the needle in the haystack. I was then directed to Chris who took the Tramp from me for a weekend and got her up and running. I have enjoyed jamming at low volumes at night and going full force during the day! There are many useful tones and settings and the amp has adapted well to all of the guitars I've had a chance to play through it. I really liked Chris' Jensen Jet speaker that was shown in his Tramp model over the camp weekend and figured if the amp tech guy has one of those it must be good. I've been a fan of Jensens for a while so it made sense to me. I scored one for a great deal on Ebay and had to wait to pick it up, but once I dropped it in the cab it was clear to me I had made the right choice. I was using a 70's CTS (Eminence) Fender special design speaker previously. The Jensen Alnico really makes a difference; sparkly, full sounding, nice and round with a crystal clear ring....
The pre-built, natural cab was finished/customized this past weekend and I put it all together last night. I had some green and black diamond grill cloth and some classic Fender grill cloth, but I wanted my amp to stand out a bit. I decided to go with the green and was inspired by the Fender sea foam green amps that I had seen a few times so that was my color choice. I also decided the green was a good symbol for my "1st amp build".

I would like to say to Stephen and Chris that I consider this amp camp to be one of the funnest "weekenders" I've been to in a while. I understand that there may have been some kinks to work out, but overall a great success and I love the finished product and was glad there was someone to help me see it through. To everyone else, your participation and enthusiasm as well as your unique perspectives and varying degrees of amp build knowledge were equally as valuable to the overall experience.

If you decide to do another camp I'm sure others will be very excited and eager to participate, as was I.
Best of luck to everyone in future builds, shows, sessions and lackadaisical jams!

Cheers!

Johnny Cassidy

Here's the Tramp getting along with some of the older folks. I guess I have a thing for grey amps...

Post subject: Re: A Tramp Story
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 4:37 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Cool! Looks like you have a thing for Canadian made amps as well..... :)

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:35 pm 
Novice
Novice

Beautiful amp Johnnyangel69. Nice color also.

By the way, I once had a Paul amp like yours. The one in the second row with a white plastic handle.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:58 pm 
Friend
Friend

G-log wrote:
Cool! Looks like you have a thing for Canadian made amps as well..... :)

Yes, I do. I have 4 Pine Electronics amps (with white handles). 2 of them are dual 8" speakers with tremolo. 1 in front with circular grill cloth is a widow maker looking for the next victim, and the other big daddy on the left is a bass amp with tremolo that I need to tinker with. The Cord amp in back is sitting on top of a Danelectro DS100 6x10" cab. The Cord is a lot of fun too but breaks up real early and gets nasty! Go Canada eh!

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:01 pm 
Friend
Friend

gotie wrote:
Beautiful amp Johnnyangel69. Nice color also.

By the way, I once had a Paul amp like yours. The one in the second row with a white plastic handle.

Yeah, the one behind that is the same amp. They are both PAULs with 2 8" speakers and tremolo. They sound really cool. I like they way they look too. Wish I could get a hold of some of that tolex and those funky grill cloths they used. Thanks for the comments! I had a lot of fun working on this amp.

Last edited by johnnyangel69 on Tue May 10, 2011 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:40 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

That's a fine looking posse there. Hope the Tramp lives up to it's heritage!

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 1:16 pm 
Friend
Friend

coco wrote:
That's a fine looking posse there. Hope the Tramp lives up to it's heritage!

Thanks Stephen. I think the old guys are getting the feeling they've been sent out to pasture as I've been playing the TRAMP only these past few weeks! Thanks for a great product and fun weekend! Many continued successes to you and the company!

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:20 pm 
Expert
Expert

That is one fine looking amp there!
How is the speaker treating you?

Chris...

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 2:34 am 
Friend
Friend

kurtlives wrote:
That is one fine looking amp there!
How is the speaker treating you?

Chris...

Thanks! The speaker is great. I actually had the chance to rock the amp today with a drummer and I had a lot of fun with it. I live close enough to bike over (and have a guitar and amp there already) but I wanted to check out the Tramp in a jam situation so I drove it over. It was the first time this little TRAMP has left the house since the makeover. Sounded pretty sweet!

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:25 pm 
Expert
Expert

That's awesome! What tube did you have it playing with a drummer?

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:02 pm 
Friend
Friend

The 6V6. I still haven't tried a 6L6 in there. I will try that some time.