trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tramp Tubes
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:18 am 
Friend
Friend

Can someone explain to me how many and which tubes come stock in the tramp? I know there's a switch to change to larger tubes for more wattage but can someone also explain which tubes will fit and how they will change the tone?

Thanks for any help.

Post subject: Re: Tramp Tubes
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:25 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Interchangeable power tube capability (6V6 (included in kit/build), 6L6, and EL34. With some minor cathode Bias changes KT66, KT88.

6V6 - 6W - creamy, clean to bluesy
6L6 - 12W - creamy, clean to bluesy with headroom
EL34- 12W - chimey, clean to crunchy with headroom

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:31 am 
Friend
Friend

ok so just a switch for the 6L6 and EL34. It has 1 preamp and 1 power correct? I read something about the ability to add 1 more?

thank you

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:26 am 
Experienced
Experienced

2 pre-amp stages 12AX7
1 power tube 6V6

Thats what comes stock

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2683

For EL34 and KT88 use the 2.5k impeadance.
The Tramp head I have is switchable so I can use a bunch of different octal base power tubes.
After the first week or so, the KT88 seldom comes out of the head and the 6L6 seldom comes out of the combo.
I have to admit to prefering the 6L6 combo version the best. More because of the alnico speaker then tube choice.

The transformer is capable of 3 amps on the filament cct. So you can easily add more stages of preamp if thats what you want. I personally don't think the Tramp needs it.

Tele's make the best noise

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 7:26 pm 
Friend
Friend

so would i purchase a 6L6 or a 6L6GC? Is there a difference and is there anything I should be aware of when purchasing?

I know some sites say

"This version has a 30 watt plate dissipation, 500V plate rating and 450V 5watt screen rating."

Will the old 6L6gc blackplate tubes work in the tramp?

Sorry kind of new with this.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 11:53 am 
Expert
Expert

You want a 6L6GC. 6L6 and other 6L6** aren't made anymore.
They are just 6L6GCs but cant produce the same power (watts) or take as high voltages.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 2:41 pm 
Friend
Friend

Do I go new or nos? I've been looking on eBay but nervous about trusting that they are telling the truth

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 3:44 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

geo516 wrote:
Do I go new or nos? I've been looking on eBay but nervous about trusting that they are telling the truth

Buy a 6L6, use it, buy a second 6L6 use it for awhile. Repeat cycle with new or nos. Start new say JJ, then buy off ebay or from other reputable sources/dealers and there are a few.
But get a 6L6 :thumbsup:
Here is a couple of pages from the tube store. I get tubes from there on a regular basis. The first is new old stock and the second is new stock.

http://thetubestore.com/jan6l.html
http://thetubestore.com/6l65881types.html
to order single tubes of matched types, use the Comments section at the end of your order to specify with which tubes you only want 1.

Possible real good deal for new.
http://thetubestore.com/bar.html

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 3:59 pm 
Friend
Friend

Ok but regardless I should be getting the 6l6gc correct

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 4:28 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

geo516 wrote:
Ok but regardless I should be getting the 6l6gc correct

Not really, there are many tubes out there that are stamped 6L6GC but are not. Pretty much any 6L6 will work in the Tramp.

Read the reviews in the tube store and see if what they say sounds good to you. Order that tube, in the comments section indicate you only want one tube and they cut the price shown in half.

I buy the matched pairs so I have spares. Also I don't believe in matched pairs or quads. If I have multiple numbers of a power tubes of the same type or generic type, I mix and match until I find what sounds good in that amp (2 power tubes or more). Single power tubes I change until I find the one I like the best and use it till It fails( hopefully just before it fails).
I buy NOS when I can at reasonable prices, I watch out for the Doctor and his snake oil claims. There is no magic, you either like the tones you get or you don't, next tube. :?

Some new stock is garbage, some old stock is garbage. Some used stock is pure gold. Spin the wheel where it stops......

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 6:35 pm 
Expert
Expert

Taz13 wrote:
Pretty much any 6L6 will work in the Tramp.

Not true! If it's not a 6L6GC, with this amp design, there's a good chance it will melt down. The exception to that is the Sovtek 5881 WXT, which isn't a true 5881 and can dissipate well above 30W. At one time we were using one of those in the Tramp prototype, as it's so hard to damage. :lol:

I also wouldn't waste money buying modern production tubes from ripoff tube stores. When you're buying singles, you can get NOS tubes for very reasonable prices off eBay sellers, because most people want pairs or quads for push-pull amps. Invest in the best for your Tramp! :D

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 7:28 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Won't argue :oops: :oops: , you designed it.
But I am using a JJJ6L6GC with no problems.
Although that explains the early demise of a couple of my tubes.

Thank you :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:02 pm 
Friend
Friend

What would be a good 12ax7 for this amp. Also should I use 2?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:24 pm 
Expert
Expert

Again buy NOS if you can. They will add more richness and clarity to your tone. Used preamp tubes can also be fine, as they don't normally get worked real hard, and you can buy used ones that have been tested and graded. At the moment, there aren't any specific plans to use the extra socket in the Tramp chassis, so you only need one tube. However, you might like to buy a couple of different kinds to try out.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:06 am 
Friend
Friend

Can I just throw a el34 in the tramp? I know there's a switch for me to switch from 6v6 to 6l6, but what about el34? Is it the same switch?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:06 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

geo516 wrote:
Can I just throw a el34 in the tramp? I know there's a switch for me to switch from 6v6 to 6l6, but what about el34? Is it the same switch?

We did a post on doing this. Check it out. http://www.trinityamps.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2919

BTW, we use JJ for new because they sound and are priced decently and are readily available. If we used NOS, who knows what you'd get and I expect the cost would increase not to mention other potential risks. We leave that up to the buyer to determine.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:42 pm 
Expert
Expert

coco wrote:
BTW, we use JJ for new because they sound and are priced decently and are readily available. If we used NOS, who knows what you'd get and I expect the cost would increase not to mention other potential risks. We leave that up to the buyer to determine.

+1 For production amps you have to use a good quality modern production source to eliminate as many variables as possible. When people build their own or just want to experiment a little, then it's foolish not to try NOS, especially in an amp that only uses two tubes. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:42 pm 
Novice
Novice

I'm using an old Sylvania 6L6 GC in my new Tramp and am very pleased with the sound; rich, deep with lots of overtones. I love it. Actually it lived in my old Ampeg B15 N for about 10 years!
Today a friend gave me two 6L6 tubes; a GT 6L6 B and a Sylvania 6L6 WGB. Are these tubes compatible with the Tramp?
I also have a couple of Sovtek EL34's, the sound good but rattle a fair bit; any brand recommends? And finally, I also have a real old Westinghouse metal 6V6. I haven't tried it yet although I've used it in a Champ clone...not all that great.
I've only had the Tramp for a couple of weeks and am finding new sounds daily, it is a super little amp. Btw, I'm using a 10" Eminence Red Fang Alnico speaker. Sounds like a Celestion Blue but not as chimmey. I have other speakers that will get tried in due course.

Thanks, Jim

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:56 pm 
Expert
Expert

jimiata wrote:
I'm using an old Sylvania 6L6 GC in my new Tramp and am very pleased with the sound; rich, deep with lots of overtones. I love it. Actually it lived in my old Ampeg B15 N for about 10 years!

You just can't beat the toen of those old tubes! :thumbsup:

jimiata wrote:
Today a friend gave me two 6L6 tubes; a GT 6L6 B and a Sylvania 6L6 WGB. Are these tubes compatible with the Tramp?

By GT I assume you mean Groove Tubes, in which case it's a relatively modern tube and can probably handle being in a Tramp. Not sure about the tone though. There's no telling with GT as they relabel tubes from all over the place.

The Sylvania 6L6WGB is basically the same thing as a 5881. It should be a great tube, but has a lower dissipation rating than a 6L6GC, which the Tramp was designed for. So the Tramp will probably damage it.

jimiata wrote:
I also have a couple of Sovtek EL34's, the sound good but rattle a fair bit; any brand recommends?
I hope you remembered to set the OT to 2500 ohms impedance for the EL34s. Recommended brands are Tesla or Valvo for NOS, or Winged C for more current production.

jimiata wrote:
And finally, I also have a real old Westinghouse metal 6V6.

The Tramp will probably fry it. Same with a Silverface Champ.

jimiata wrote:
I've only had the Tramp for a couple of weeks and am finding new sounds daily, it is a super little amp.

Glad you like it! :D

jimiata wrote:
Btw, I'm using a 10" Eminence Red Fang Alnico speaker. Sounds like a Celestion Blue but not as chimmey.

That's good to know. The current production Alnico Blues are way to bright for my tastes. Their silver predecessors in the late 60s and early 70s had a much smoother top end, although with plenty of crisp definition.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:32 am 
Novice
Novice

Thanks Zaphod. Yes the GT is a Groove Tube, I'll try it this weekend. Stephen built the amp for me as my arthritis makes it very difficult to do small manipulative work, and yes he set it up for 6V6, 6L6, EL34 and KT66 tubes. I haven't had the time to get a KT 66 as yet.

It's too bad about the 6L6 WGB; I was told it was designed for army issue and should be good for a long life. Would it sound good for a short time and then go bad, or would it go quickly and just get wasted in a flash?

I also have an old...20 years old Celestion Classic Lead 80 12 which sounds super with my other amps; hope there's room for it in the cab.

Jim