trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2024 4:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: KT88 Confusion
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:07 pm 

My TRAMP project is nearly finished; I just need to add the appropriate Cathode Bias resistor for future KT66/KT88 operation. I am hopeful that someone can help me understand which resistor I need.

On Page 50 of the TRAMP Amp Builder's Guide (ver 1.96), it says: "Replace the stock 560 Ohm resistor with a 1K resistor and it is in parallel with the existing 750 Ohms. This will do the job nicely for a KT66, KT88 or the EL34".

So, seemingly, the guidance is to install a parallel 1K cathode resistor. If I understand correctly, this 1K Ohm resistor (In parallel with the fixed 750 Ohm bias resistor) sets the total cathode resistance at 429 Ohms. But, I don't understand "why" this value works. And the more I think about the biasing situation, the more I realized that I am not sure how a KT66 or KT88 works in this amplifier at all. Both tube types seemingly have rated maximum power dissipations well beyond the 15W capacity of the TRAMP's output transformer. It must be that the biasing resistor (in combination with the plate voltage???) derates the tubes enough so as not to damage the OT.

Can someone explain the math to me? With 429 Ohms of cathode resistance in this single-ended amp, how much power does a KT66 or KT88 produce?

Any and all insights are appreciated!

S_Two

Post subject: Re: KT88 Confusion
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:35 pm 
Expert
Expert

True Class A amplifiers will *at best* produce slightly under 50% of the output tube's power dissipation, assuming all conditions are optimum. We are basically running these bigger tubes at around 25W to 30W dissipation, at the most, so that around 15W max is produced in the OT. I forget the details of the exact calculations we did, but in reality we're probably talking more like around 13W output. But 13 tube watts is pretty darn loud!

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 5:55 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

This is the way mine is done:

Quote:
Amp is done. Here's how it works. In the end I went with an extra toggle switch for full flexibility & selection.
2 switches in the back.
1. Lo bias / Hi Bias
2. 5K OT impedance / 2.5K OT impedance
Since EL34 & KT88 can run on the same bias as 6L6, I left the stock set up in there i.e. 750 ohm for 6V6 and 560 in parallel with 750 for EL34 / KT88.
so to run KT88/EL34, you flip to HI Bias / 2.5K
to run KT66 flip to HI Bias / 5K
to run 6V6 Lo bias / 5K.

In my Tramp the 560 was left in and not a 1k. Tramp was built by Coco.
Works great and as Zaphod says "13 tube watts is pretty darn loud!"

Tele's make the best noise

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 10:13 pm 

Thanks for the replies!

I have ordered a variety of 5W ceramic wire-wound resistors, with values ranging in small increments from 600 ohms up to 2K ohms. My back-of-the-envelope calculations suggest that 700 ohms should be about ideal for the particular KT88 datasheet I used, but then again I don't have that much trust in my figures yet :) I will try several of the resistors in the circuit (with a current probe on the cathode), and let you know how it goes.

Again, thanks for the input.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 3:18 pm 

I have continued to experiment with the TRAMP.

I installed a selectable 5W, 1000 ohm ceramic wire-wound resistor, in parallel with the stock 750 ohm cathode bias resistor. The combination measures out at 423 ohms, well within the 5% nominal tolerance of the components.

With a JJ KT66 tube, I measure the following voltage/current relationships:

My question is, Do these curves look "correct"? I was unable to take voltages with the Power Level > 9. I though I heard the beginning of "crackling" sounds from the speaker as I slowly advanced the Power Level knob, so I immediately discontinued the experiment. Does the onset of crackling suggest that the bias level is too high?

MANY THANKS for any input,

S_Two

Attachments:
Current_Graph.jpg
Current_Graph.jpg [ 168.58 KiB | Viewed 6313 times ]
IMG_6794.JPG
IMG_6794.JPG [ 519.4 KiB | Viewed 6313 times ]
IMG_6793.JPG
IMG_6793.JPG [ 488.78 KiB | Viewed 6313 times ]