trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 5:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: power supply question
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:00 pm 
Novice
Novice

what effect replacing the cap can (32/32) with a (50-50) would likely have on my 18w. im curious as i have some in hand and am rewiring mine and tweaking again a little more. would it have problems with the vrm ?

im trying to make the amp deeper/little smoother and a little more linear from its transitions from semi-clean to crunch (finger dinamics that is) i think i got the pre amp close to what i have in head.

thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:13 am 
Expert
Expert

You would be unlikely to hear much difference with the bigger cap cans, and it won't give you what you're looking for. Deeper tones will come from a better OT (if you're not already using a Trinity/Heyboer) or different speakers. Alternatively, using 6V6 power tubes will give beefier lows. Not sure what you man about the transition between clean and crunch, as I find that setting the Volume, say to around 3 or 4 on the Normal channel for example, gives fantastic clean-to-crunch touch sensitivity, with the tone cleaning up great when you roll back the guitar volume.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:06 pm 
Novice
Novice

i tought (still do) about going for the 6v6 as i know they respond more like big bottles than el84. but the crunch is so full of harmonics with the 84 :bugeye:

basically, i would like to know if i swap the cap can, will i have to adjust all the voltages across the amp again as they are now'almost' spot on.
i was under the impression that i could gain added deepness and dynamics with bigger filtering (refering to bass amps here) but maybe my logic are flawed big time by the fumes...again :lol:

im going to build a princetone clone soon too(not from here tho, need the tube reverb...) and will order some stuff to try and convert the el84 to 6v6 (or should i try kt66.....maybe not :roll: )
is there a layout that shows only the 6v6 wired or i have to go with the 84/6v6 schematics ?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:20 pm 
Expert
Expert

elegy wrote:
basically, i would like to know if i swap the cap can, will i have to adjust all the voltages across the amp again as they are now'almost' spot on.

No, but you might damage the EZ81, if your amp uses one of those.

elegy wrote:
i was under the impression that i could gain added deepness and dynamics with bigger filtering (refering to bass amps here)

No, the bigger caps are only needed when you need to sustain big deep bass notes, which a regular guitar doesn't have.

elegy wrote:
and will order some stuff to try and convert the el84 to 6v6 (or should i try kt66.....maybe not :roll: ) is there a layout that shows only the 6v6 wired or i have to go with the 84/6v6 schematics ?

KT66s won't work without a new transformer set and circuit modifications. For 6V6s, you just change the 820/56k resistor combination in the PI to 470/22k ohms. Then change the 150 ohm power tube cathode resistor to 270 ohms (or thereabouts). It's pretty simple bar the new octal tube sockets and rewiring of the power tube pins.

Here's a couple of 6V6 18W clips for you to check out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4pU7cMu4TM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mea4njZHYU

How do those sound to you?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:05 pm 
Novice
Novice

the rythm tone seems very nice, albeith a little stiff in response for my tastes (probably due to rectifier option) but the fizzle on higher gain settings i just cant live with, on mine it still does it past a certain level, but i call it the fuzz zone, could be a cool texture for some uses :hmmm:

ill see if i can setup my recording rig to make a soundclip or two.