trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 6:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:59 am 
Friend
Friend

The amp had been playing very well in Tweed, then suddenly the volume dropped to about 1/10. All ok in Tude mode. On giving the input a gentle jiggle the volume came back for a time, then when I hit a strong note there was some noise and the volume dropped again, and again just touching the input made the volume come back and go again. This is the state it's in have tried a number of leads. Tude mode seems unaffected, earths and solder joints seem good on the switch and jack.
Thanks
John

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:33 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

John, it seems odd that jiggling the input causes a change/reaction only in Tweed mode?
Logically you would expect that kind of reaction to jiggling an input jack would indicate a bad/intermittent connection which would affect both modes and the entire amp.

Maybe try re-soldering the connections around the input jack and Impedance selector switch and speaker jacks to start with.

Snowy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:12 pm 
Friend
Friend

Thanks Snowy,
Will reflow the solder after work tomorrow, see how it goes. Don't understand why the speaker and impedance switch.....but it's something to try. Though thinking back, when I tried a 16 ohm speaker it was really weak sounding and I had to go back to an 8 ohm, so maybe there is something wrong there.
Cheers
John

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:00 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Hi John I included the Impedance switch and speaker jack because they are very directly connected to the output and your symptoms sounded strangely similar to what I posted in this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3256

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:16 am 
Friend
Friend

Well reflowing the solder has improved the problem, and now it's there in both tweed and tude mode. Because its appears to be esp. evident with an increase of input signal, such as plucking a note, I'm thinking I may have overheated the shielded wire and there is a slight leak to the earthed shielding. So I will try to get some more shielded cable and replace it using careful heat sinking this time.
Cheers
John