trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 6:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:29 pm 

Hi Trampsters!

Short-term lurker - first time poster.

After doing a bit of research here and elsewhere, I'm keen to grab a tramp kit and get cracking on my first amp build. Have been building pedals and making small mods to tube amps for a few years, and am really enjoying the ride so far. A bit too much, some might say. You guys are sad addicts. And I want to be one too :bugeye:

I have a 'spare' 16 ohm 12" celestion gold (replaced one from a pair in a 2x12 with a v30). At first I was thinking i'd pick up a tramp head kit and cabinet, and run it with the gold as a 1x12. But I understand now that head cabs from trinity are not always available, and indeed Stephen recently informed me that this is the case at present. I was a bit unresolved on head v combo anyway, so then i was thinking to pick up a combo cab big enough to fit the 12". But having given it a little more thought, I'm now warming to the idea of a nice 10" and plugging in the 1x12 when needed. I'm not really that keen to have to mess around with custom cabinetry and wotnot, so this would mean I could still grab a cab from trinity at the outset.

Question is, are there any real issues to consider running the 10" internal speaker WITH the 12" external cab at the same time?

I understand that speaker efficiency will be a factor (maybe a more efficient 10" than the gold?), and that there's a a bit of a "suck it and see" element to combining speakers of whatever ilk. I've also read that people don't generally combine 10s and 12s for a good reason - its a bit pointless?

Regardless, in terms of speaker impedences, given the gold is 16 ohm, would i be better to run with a 16 ohm 10" for the combo, with the intention of running both in parallel at 8 ohms on occasion (if it turns out to be good); or is the plan to run both at once a little misguided and/or of little advantage - and so i'd be better off with an 8 ohm 10" that disconnects when when an external cab is plugged in.

Any views out there from those with more experience!
Thanks
Brad

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:05 am 
Expert
Expert

You could always put that 12" in the Tramp. The Tramp cabinet/baffle can be modified to fit a 12" speaker, search around the forum and you'll see many Tramps have been done this way.

That said it might be cool to do a standard 10" combo and have an external 12" cab (you can never have enough cabs). The second cab with a different speaker would add it's own unique tone and add some harmonic richness to the sound.

Get both speakers @ 16R. They can be run at 16R on their own or 8R together in parallel.

16R speakers are also better because then you use the OT full winding.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:35 pm 

Thanks kurtlives - appreciate your thoughts and assistance!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:15 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Would be a good idea to keep 10" in and 12" out but you can make most 12" speakers fit if you want to make a few sacrifices like good access to the output jacks.