trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2024 1:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:45 am 

So, here I was browsing this forum and thought a 6av6 is half a 12ax7 and I just happened to have an old chassis with 4 X 6av6, 2 X el84 and a 5Y3 recto....., why not throw together a spitfire.

Well, it fired up with a few issues (buzz with strat s/c, but working on that), had a hum but moving the el84 cathode ground to the preamp ground point cured that, I found it was way bright, so in went a cut control (thanks to this forum). I only had 500K audio taper pots so in they went, except for the cut 250K audio taper.

With the 5Y3 in I am sitting at about 305vdc on the output tubes with 11vdc on the 150ohm / 22u ck. With a plugin ss rectifier built into an old tube base it sits at about 360vdc.....

I am taking this little sucker to practice tonight... should be :D fun.

Thanks for all the info, great forum.

Colin B
Halifax NS :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:16 pm 
Novice
Novice

8)

Now that is an interesting take on the Spitfire! Thanks for sharing!

CR ><>

http://www.geocities.com/woodcrossamps/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:47 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Very interesting. It will be interesting to see what it sounds like. Some day, send along a schematic and we'll post it (or you can link to another site with it) . Did you put two 6Av6 in parallel in the input stage?

Thanks for the input!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:38 am 

Yes, it does have the two 6AV6 in parallel at the input. Sounds good, very loud, more than I expected. A little background noise, but not enough to bother with when playing in a band setting. Nice and clear and bright, just the right amount of dirt at full tilt.':twisted:'. But that was with the 5Y3, didn't try it with the ss plugin, forgot to take it... duh. I did find that I ran it with the volume and master almost full up, the tone at about 1/4 to 1/3 and the cut at about 1/3 rotation. Controlled the volume from the guitar.. didn't want to try any pedals with it last night, so I am not sure how that will go.

I only used a single input with a 68K / 1meg. And since I only had two chokes laying around, one huge and one way too small, I used a 1.2K resistor in place of the choke.

Since I wasn't using the diodes, I actually wound up tying each 6AV6's diode sections (pins 5 & 6) together, then tying that to the cathode (pin 2 )on each tube. That got rid of some noise.

Still got a bit of tweaking to do, but I was finally able to use the neck / middle combo on my strat at volume!':lol:'!

The other guitar player in the band actually asked me to turn down!!!! I love it....

I will try to do up a schematic ( if it's OK I will cut and paste someone's 12ax7 spit ) this weekend and send it along. I was wondering what to do with that old chassis... guess I put it to good use.

Cheers

Colin B

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:10 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Good job. Really nice concept & execution. Very handy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:55 pm 
Novice
Novice

Interesting idea. A soundclip would be nice. :wink:

http://www.diyguitarist.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:24 am 

Hey folks,

Thanks for the input, I'll get a sound file done next Monday or Thursday night at practice, just the amp, no pedals. Our drummer is the expert when it comes to audio recording.... not me!':shock:'

Colin