trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2024 1:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:25 pm 
Friend
Friend

Hi All,
After playing through this Tramp for a couple of weeks, I'm beginning to really warm up to it and like it a lot! :thumbsup: I thought it might be appropriate to share a few observations, opinions and questions about it:
A-While it sounds really good with the provided 6V6, it really comes alive with a good 6L6, even when using the VRM to bring the sound pressure level down to the same as a 6V6. Much more authoritative with the 6L6!
B-Non-Tude mode seems to be a bit superfluous and unnecessary as it needs to be generally all the up to be very usable and similar amount of gain is very closely approximated in Tude mode with the gain at minimum. Also the the switch/pot for it is a bit intermittent, needing to be wiggled a bit after switching from one mode to the other. Maybe I'm missing something?
C-Amp is dead silent with no noise issues of any sort! 8)
D-When I get very close to the sound I want, with the bass and treble controls set appropriately, it is just a tiny bit too "bright" at the very top end of the treble/high frequency range, but when I lower the treble enough to tame this, it takes away a bit of the slightly lower treble range that I would like to keep. What component or components should I look into to address this?

Overall a great sounding little amp and building it was a wonderful learning experience. Even the few "snags" I encountered in final fire up and testing were informative. I'm actually kind of glad that all was not perfect at first, as it helped me learn some troubleshooting skills.
Thanx 4 Looking,
Gene

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:38 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Nice work Gene, thanks for sharing your thoughts about your Tramp.

I've had my Tramp for a while now and still love it, I bet it will continue to grow on you more and more as you experiment and explore further the extent of it's versatility. I guess it's "different strokes" for different folks, but I really do love the Tweed mode more so then the 'Tude mode and I like to give it a bit of a push with a clean boost (I have been using a Dr Scientist Reverberator to do this) I find I can get a very loud, big round clean tone like that and it sounds more "Fendery" to me than the 'Tude mode does. I guess that's just the sound that I like to hear, just a taste thing, but again there's a lot of versatility to be found in the Tramp. Between the Tweed/Tude modes, VRM and Pre/master volume knobs and also the volume/tone knobs on your guitar, there is a ton of different flavours in there at a wide range of volume levels.

It sounds like you might have an iffy pull/push switch there as mine is quite positive and not intermittent, maybe it's worth asking Stephen about that.

Snowy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:53 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Thanks for the feedback.
As for the tone stack, it is a Marshall TMB with the values modified so as not to lose too much gain. All the values can be changed to tweak it, in fact,you can try Duncan Amps Tone Stack simulator and punchy in the values to see what we have done. After some experimentation, we fixed the mid at halfway, but again, you could adjust that as well.
Does sound like the switch is funky.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:04 pm 
Friend
Friend

coco wrote:
Thanks for the feedback.
As for the tone stack, it is a Marshall TMB with the values modified so as not to lose too much gain. All the values can be changed to tweak it, in fact,you can try Duncan Amps Tone Stack simulator and punchy in the values to see what we have done. After some experimentation, we fixed the mid at halfway, but again, you could adjust that as well.
Does sound like the switch is funky.

I would love to try "Tone Stack Simulator" but unfortunately it requires Spice which is for Windows and Linux operating systems only and I have an Apple computer. It's the same story for schematic and layout software unless I'm willing to spend some BIG $$$$! Any help/suggestions would be most welcomed. Also, a replacement pot/switch would be nice.
Thanks,
Gene

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:12 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Send me a reminder email . Maybe get a friend to install the software on a PC so you can play for a few hours with it.