trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2024 11:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Effects loop?
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:40 pm 
Friend
Friend

Hi guys, just finished my Tramp (first build ever, yay!) and having a great time with it. I'm wondering though, is it possible to add a passive effects loop? I've never been a fan of reverb and delay up front.

Post subject: Re: Effects loop?
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 11:01 pm 
Friend
Friend

Anyone? Maybe a more specific question. I took a look at Mojotone's loop, but even though I have the head version of the Tramp, I don't think I could get it to fit. I'd like to use rack effects, not pedals so I think a simple insertion point might all I need. I am pretty new at this, so does anyone know if this is technically possible in a Tramp?

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 7:20 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Yes it's possible. You can try inserting a loop jack just just before the master volume. If that overloads or drive the effect too much, try just after C2. Passive loop might work OK within limits.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:05 pm 
Friend
Friend

Thanks, I'll give it a shot!

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:14 pm 
Friend
Friend

Just to follow up -

Got some jacks wired in between the treble and master volume (signal to tips, sleeves to ground). It kinda worked, the effects unit I have is designed for unity gain, but the signal seemed pretty hot going in and I lost some volume going out. I wasn't able to really balance out the levels. Which is probably what I should have expected based on what I've been reading. Then I tried in between C2 and Volume/Gain. The levels evened out a bit but I didn't like having the effects before the tone stack. It sounded similar to just running them up front. I may revisit this after I learn a bit more about how this all works. Thanks for the advice Stephen, at least I learned something!

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:30 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Thanks for the follow-up. Good to know. It might work with other effects tho,

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:58 am 
Expert
Expert

fredster wrote:
Just to follow up -

Got some jacks wired in between the treble and master volume (signal to tips, sleeves to ground). It kinda worked, the effects unit I have is designed for unity gain, but the signal seemed pretty hot going in and I lost some volume going out. I wasn't able to really balance out the levels. Which is probably what I should have expected based on what I've been reading. Then I tried in between C2 and Volume/Gain. The levels evened out a bit but I didn't like having the effects before the tone stack. It sounded similar to just running them up front. I may revisit this after I learn a bit more about how this all works. Thanks for the advice Stephen, at least I learned something!

Those are the only two places you can really put it unfortunately.

As noted right after the first triode isn't that different from "out front" because well the only thing between that spot and the input is a couple components and half a tube.

You could try a buffering and scaling/mixing circuit for better results. That's adding a lot of complexity to such a simple design though.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:14 am 
Friend
Friend

kurtlives wrote:
You could try a buffering and scaling/mixing circuit for better results. That's adding a lot of complexity to such a simple design though.

I agree, it's probably not worth it in this amp. A great learning experience though, to be used on a future 18w build :)

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:48 am 
Expert
Expert

fredster wrote:
kurtlives wrote:

I agree, it's probably not worth it in this amp. A great learning experience though, to be used on a future 18w build :)

For sure :thumbsup: