trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 10:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:21 pm 

I'm currently building a V6 Plexi and I keep getting continuity between the tip and sleeve terminals of the non-insulated switchcraft speaker jacks. When I disconnect the hot wire bridging the speaker jack and impedance selector switch, the problem goes away. It seems the impedance switch is non-insulated and causing the signal from the OT speaker taps (4,8,16) to pass into the chassis and ultimately into the non-insulated speaker jacks. Is this normal? I'm trying to wrap my head around this problem and can't seem to find a logical explanation. I've built it per the layout provided.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:31 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

The resistance of the OT secondary windings is low so maybe your continuity tester cant differentiate at such low values. Sounds like it is wired correctly. Can you post a picture of the wiring so we can check it?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:33 am 

Hi Stephen,

Attached is a photo of the setup I currently have. I am using a Fluke 87 with beeper on at <40 Ohms to check continuity. I am getting continuity between impedance terminal and chassis. It seems this is the reason I'm also getting continuity between speaker jack tip and sleeve since jack is non-insulated.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:07 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Build looks good. If the hot side. of the impedance switch is the only wire connected to the output jacks "hot", you are good to go. The sleeve of the jacks are connected to ground so you will get a low resistance between hot and ground. You're just measuring the resistance of a length of wire on the OT.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:21 pm 

Ahh, yes it makes sense to me now. I originally thought the impedance switch was non-insulated and grounding the OT signal to the chassis right away. I didn't realize the OT's low resistance is circling back on the jack sleeve and indicating continuous (at least less than 40 Ohms) :lol:

Thanks for the quick response on the weekend! :thumbsup: