trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2024 5:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My Tramp and my wah
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:04 am 

Hey, so I built a Tramp a while back, and pretty much think it's the greatest amp ever, with only one problem that I've ever had, and that has to do with using my wah pedal. When I used my wah with my fender blues jr. that I had before the tramp it sounded very full and good, but when I use it with the tramp it can tend to sound very weak, and I don't really hear the wah through the entire cycle. I did a little digging, and most of what I was finding was that the amp you use can affect the performance of your wah, so I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to rectify that issue, whether it's something I need to do with the amp or the wah, I feel pretty comfortable working on both (I've built and worked on a handful of amps since I finished the Tramp, so I'm pretty comfortable working on them, and have done a few things with pedals too)

Thanks guys!

Post subject: Re: My Tramp and my wah
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:28 pm 
Expert
Expert

How does the wah sound with other amps?

There is no reason the Tramp should affect the wah.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:06 am 

In other amps it sounds like a typical crybaby, you hear the "wah" very clearly and strong, and you hear it through the whole pedal cycle. On the tramp it sounds really weak, I can hear a difference when I click the pedal on and off (it's one of those with the bypass switches), but it just sounds kinda weak, and I can't really notice much of a difference as I move the pedal up and down.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:36 am 
Experienced
Experienced

The only thing I can think might be the cause is maybe the other amps you have compared are sonically wider bandwidth (like a Blackface-ish fender tonality for example) where the Bass and Treble frequencies might extend lower (Bass) and also higher (Treble) than the Tramp. Since the Wah is really a Tone control maybe that is what you are hearing. Now that you mention it I always thought my Wah sounded better through my Blues Junior than either my Tramp or 5E3, both of which (to my ears anyway) are more tonally centered in the Tweedy midrange of frequencies than the Blues Junior, maybe that limits the sweep of frequency extremes that the Wah can produce when "filtered" through those amps and causes it to sound weaker?

Just a theory I'm throwing out there, I really have no idea. :|

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:44 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I will check with some other players re: a Wah and Tramp, but this is the first I've heard. Centre the Tramp tone controls and try it. It could be an input impedance problem.
I have heard the Tweed with a Wah and it sounds fine btw.