trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 11:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: my sIII Kit build...
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:51 pm 
Friend
Friend

Well this is kinda cheating... cause Stephen built the board and chassis as I bought the "Kit"

The head is from Reason. I was thinking a purple tolex on that thang. Soon as I figure where to order it from... and how to glue it on.

Should order my transformers next Friday and the tubes as well...

cheers
Steve

Post subject: Re: my sIII Kit build...
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:14 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

stevenclements wrote:
The head is from Reason. I was thinking a purple tolex on that thang. Soon as I figure where to order it from... and how to glue it on. Steve

I thought Reason sold tolex as part of the kit? Well, email me, I can spare some of my purple tolex for you, then you'll need some piping & then some string etc. etc.

Nice pics by the way. Getting the swing of the new camera are we?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:45 am 
Expert
Expert

Something repeating on you there Stephen, must be tonights curry ;-)

Post subject: Re: my sIII Kit build...
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:28 pm 
Friend
Friend

coco wrote:
stevenclements wrote:
The head is from Reason. I was thinking a purple tolex on that thang. Soon as I figure where to order it from... and how to glue it on. Steve

I thought Reason sold tolex as part of the kit? Well, email me, I can spare some of my purple tolex for you, then you'll need some piping & then some string etc. etc.

Nice pics by the way. Getting the swing of the new camera are we?

The The HP PhotoSmart R717 6.2 megapixels of resolution (costco with a $40 coupon). It's been a pretty easy point and shoot, but I'm finding 6.2 to be overkill for most photos.

I'd love some of that tolex - sent you an email. Maybe I can photo blog the process of putting tolex on the head... it will either be a blog of how to do it... or how not to. :roll:

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:27 pm 
Expert
Expert

I spent some time working on the board today....turns out my mouser order of 68K, 56K and 47K resistors came in as 6.8K, 5.6K and 4.7K resistors. I thought I was careful when I ordered the resistors, but alas, I must've screwed it up...since they're all like that. Bummer...so I'll have to order some more resistors...

Regardless, I'm about 4-5 turrets from being done with the board...here she is, as of now:

-Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:28 pm 
Expert
Expert

OK, progress as of Friday night. I have the transformers mounted on the chassis (took a bit longer as my PT is a lie down style and I needed to cut a hole) I have all the pots bar one and input sockets in place and the faceplate fitted. I found I had poached a 250K pot for another project so I will have to get one today. The width of my chassis is 400mm (15.75") but I found that all controls fit nicely into this size without looking too cramped. I am marked out for punching the holes for the tube sockets. You may ask why I didn't punch all holes straight away, it is because I have learned through bitter experiance that with a smallish chassis parts can easily get in the way of each other so I mount the trannies then I can see where best to locate the tubes and any speaker out sockets, impedance switches so I can run wires between tubes rather than around them. I was going to post pictures but my camera battery pack ran out just as I pressed the shutter :-( I will do that today. I should be starting the hook up by lunctime today Sat and maybe some sounds tonight.
Nigel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:33 pm 
Expert
Expert

Nigel,

How'd you cut the laydown hole? I'm about to do the same thing...and I'm torn between two ways:

A - make a router jig out of spare 3/4" plywood, cut the hole with a jig saw, drill mounting holes on the jig for the transformer. Then drill holes, as per the mounting holes, onto the chassis...mount the jig...and route the laydown hole out.

B - measure the laydown hole from my lightning (since it uses the same PT)...draw it out on the chassis and go to town with my dremel!

A is the cleaner way to do it....although it'll probably take twice as long. B wont look as nice....

but when the transformer's sitting on the chassis, mounted...you wouldn't tell the difference regardless...

I dunno...

-F

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:35 pm 
Expert
Expert

Hey Steven (Cohrs or Clements),

I was looking at stevenclements pictures above, and it appears that the trinity sIII chassis isn't as deep as I had once thought. What are the dimensions of the chassis?

-Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:56 pm 
Expert
Expert

bitsandvolts wrote:
Nigel,

How'd you cut the laydown hole? I'm about to do the same thing...and I'm torn between two ways:

Frank, I marked out the square (oblong) and drilled at each corner a hole big enough to fit my jig saw blade then joined them up with the jigsaw freehand, I then filed te edges to get rid of any burs. Once the trannie is in you don't see the hole from the outside anyway and I am not patient enough to make up templates. I really must buy a square hole punch for the power sockets, I hate doing those.
Nigel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:58 pm 
Expert
Expert

I'm definitely just going to use my dremel for the IEC socket...Drilling the corner holes is a good idea...then it's a case of just connecting the dots...

I'll probably do that!

-F

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:01 pm 
Expert
Expert

bitsandvolts wrote:
Hey Steven (Cohrs or Clements),

I was looking at stevenclements pictures above, and it appears that the trinity sIII chassis isn't as deep as I had once thought. What are the dimensions of the chassis?

-Frank

Stephen was saying to me yesterday that he uses 6" deep chassis, I use 8" but that is only because that is what I ordered for my other project and I got 5 done to cut costs so I am using them up.
Nigel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:02 pm 
Expert
Expert

bitsandvolts wrote:
I'm definitely just going to use my dremel for the IEC socket...Drilling the corner holes is a good idea...then it's a case of just connecting the dots...

I'll probably do that!

-F

Have you got a router bit for the Dremel then? It sounds like a good idea, I have a dremel like tool which might do the trick and save some time.
Nigel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:13 pm 
Expert
Expert

Friday nights progress photo
http://www.kirkby.com.au/g2/main.php?g2 ... itemId=472

Got a bit of an experiment going on here with both trannies, the PT is something I have not used before so I have no idea if it will live up to it's specs, the OT is a Hammond 125E clone and a massive piece of iron too. :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:14 pm 
Expert
Expert

Holy schnikeys thats a big OT!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:17 pm 
Expert
Expert

Legin wrote:
Have you got a router bit for the Dremel then? It sounds like a good idea, I have a dremel like tool which might do the trick and save some time.
Nigel

I have a router bit for the dremel, but that's not what I would use on this chassis (or metal or wood anyway)

I have a fairly strong Ryobi router here, with a plunge bit (with a ball bearing collar)...I would use that instead.

I cut my 2X12 baffles with my father's 1/8" bit hand router...and the bit jumped around a good bit, due to the size. If I had it all to do over again, I would have used my 1/4" bit router instead.

But, like I said before, I'm most likely going to drill corner holes and go the rest of the way with my dremel....much easier that way. In fact, I'm going to drill corner holes when I cut the IEC mains hole as well...

-F

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:28 am 
Expert
Expert

I decided to complete the board with the 1/2 watt metal film resistors I had on hand. It was kinda rediculous to put together a mouser order for 2 56K resistors and 1 47K resistor.

Knowing that 1/2watt metal films can handle (as per spec) 350v and the places where I needed these resistors are all prior to the PI tube (where there shouldn't be anything higher than 250-275) I figured the metal films there will do fine.

So the board is officially done...however, I can't take a picture since my camera battery just died...

So alas, I will go upstairs and watch Bond on Spike!

-Frank

Post subject: I'm Alive!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:11 am 
Expert
Expert

After finding a dry joint on the heater wires and another on one of the pre-amp resistors I am up and going and the sound of this amp is phenominal. Congratuations Steven and Stephen and anyone else who had a hand in this design, it rocks! I have cranked it on both TMB and normal channel and it is a really classic Marshall grind, I can't wait to experiment jumpering etc. I didn't even have time to jot down the voltages, I will get it back in the shed when I have finished playing :-) I have updated the gallery with some photos.
http://www.kirkby.com.au/g2/main.php?g2 ... itemId=437

Yes I know...... Clips to come!

Nigel :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:31 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

bitsandvolts wrote:
What are the dimensions of the chassis?
-Frank

To be exact, 6.5" . There was no need for them to be as deep (7.5") as they were. Now fits standard small box plexi cabinets.

The Lightnings are 9" .

Post subject: Re: I'm Alive!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:45 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Legin, Well done! Another sIII in the books. Thanks for the compliments on the design. As for the design/build/test it was s2, & lbet & myself.

I'm impressed you got it built so quickly from scratch. Sounds like you hit the tone right on. It's amazing how a few parts (5 I think) can make such a difference to the tone when compared to a normal TMB. Looking for your clips, more comments, suggestions and maybe your friends clips too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:54 am 
Expert
Expert

Yes, well I didn't get the speaker cabinet built this weekend but I now have good reason to get a selection of cabinets together. I am very impressed with this amp, even on quite low volumes the tone is fantastic, it definately gets two thumbs up from me. Give me a week and I should get some clips done.
Nigel

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next