trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 9:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:54 am 
Expert
Expert

coco wrote:
bitsandvolts wrote:
What are the dimensions of the chassis?
-Frank

To be exact, 6.5" . There was no need for them to be as deep (7.5") as they were. Now fits standard small box plexi cabinets.

The Lightnings are 9" .

Oh?!

That's great news. My chassis is actually a small box plexi size (17"x6.5"x2.5").

So worst case scenario, if I get lazy after finishing this head, I could probably have trinity whip me up a head cabinet. (not that getting trinity to build a head cab is a worst-case by any stretch :wink: , but worse case in the idea that I run out of time/energy)

Best case scenario, I can build it to similar dimensions...

-Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:52 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Sure we can build you a cab but you can also buy a Mojo small box head cab. It should fit that as well though I've never tried it. I just wanted people to have optons, and that's just another one!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:22 am 
Expert
Expert

At a suggestion from s2 I changed my cathode resistor and now have B+ 317V, can't say there is a difference in sound but I am content. :-)
Nigel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:30 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Legin wrote:
At a suggestion from s2 I changed my cathode resistor and now have B+ 317V, can't say there is a difference in sound but I am content. :-)
Nigel

Do tell. What are the details/theory of what you did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:43 pm 
Expert
Expert

s2 suggested that a tweak of the cathode resistor say 150 Ohm whould raise the voltages slightly, while I was having a look on the 18Watt schematics I noticed that the value of that resistor could be anything from 125 to 220 Ohm. Steven said that he did not think I would notice any difference in the sound and he was correct although I did read that raising the cathode resistor would increase bass response. I went for 180 Ohm 5 Watt and the EL84s are now seeing 298V on pin 9 with B+ @ 317V. I have a dry joint to track down in the TMB area somewhere but apart from that I'm done (apart from the case). Clips are coming today.
Nigel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:56 pm 
Friend
Friend

Well I got all the bits here now - Thank YOU Stephen Cors.

I've ordered my S2 transformers today...(have you read that Texan's website... funny stuff):lol: and now that I've stopped puking from the flu :oops: . I can set up my work bench, can't believe I've moved into this house 1 year ago on the 12th of Dec.

Anyone have a "must have" favourite tool, that they use.

I don't have an Oscilliscope, my multimeter is analog, and my 30 Watt BBQ iron has a cool blue handle.

Cheers
Yet another "Steve"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:15 pm 
Expert
Expert

stevenclements wrote:

For every amp I have built so far I have used a little "helping hands" which is a gizmo with two croc clips on a base with adjustable arms, it is great when you are soldering boards.

Good luck, it's a great amp.
Nigel

Post subject: Subjectless
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:42 am 
Friend
Friend

Legin wrote:
stevenclements wrote:

For every amp I have built so far I have used a little "helping hands" which is a gizmo with two croc clips on a base with adjustable arms, it is great when you are soldering boards.

Good luck, it's a great amp.
Nigel

Thanks Nigel, I've noticed those in the pictures you've posted. I've seen those kicking around in electronics shops, pretty inexpensive as well. I'll have to grab one.

I found another tool that was made of wood and used to hold your chassis while you worked on it. Can't for the life of me remember where I found that...

Cheers
Steve

Post subject: Re: Subjectless
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:58 am 
Expert
Expert

stevenclements wrote:
I found another tool that was made of wood and used to hold your chassis while you worked on it. Can't for the life of me remember where I found that...

Steve,

Bob Bevins uses one, I can't remember if he made it or he bought it from someone...but it's not that hard to make on, assuming you use the same chassis size from build to build.

As far as doing circuit boards, I prefer to just place the board on my desk and solder away...having it angled doesn't make things any easier for me.

-Frank

Post subject: Re: Subjectless
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:28 pm 
Friend
Friend

bitsandvolts wrote:
stevenclements wrote:

Steve,

Bob Bevins uses one, I can't remember if he made it or he bought it from someone...but it's not that hard to make on, assuming you use the same chassis size from build to build.

As far as doing circuit boards, I prefer to just place the board on my desk and solder away...having it angled doesn't make things any easier for me.

-Frank

Thanks Frank... yeah most things I've put together just sat on the top of the workbench and I went at them... blowing the smoke away. I often wonder if there's a better way... and no better way then to ask :)

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:47 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

An amp cradle is great, but I didn't get one for a long time. You just have to have good balance & coordination.

The rest - good wire cutters, 25W soldering iron, analog meter (1000V AC/DC), needle nose pliers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:26 pm 
Friend
Friend

coco wrote:
An amp cradle is great, but I didn't get one for a long time. You just have to have good balance & coordination.

The rest - good wire cutters, 25W soldering iron, analog meter (1000V AC/DC), needle nose pliers

THAT"S IT! Amp Cradle I couldn't remember the name.

http://dst-engineering.com/ac.html Thank you Stephen. It looks like a nice little tool to have.

Coordination: I can pat my tummy and rub my head at the same time... but by now I've worn most of the hair off...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:26 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

If you want a real nice one, go to

http://www.chassi-swing.com/main/default.asp

Mine was made by the "Holy Ghost" based on DST and works fine. The chasis swing is very nicely done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:32 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I would defiantly say that an amp cradle makes things a lot easier. I built my first few amps with out one, and then I got one and never looked back ;) I actually have one of the DTS cradles and one of Jeph’s Chassis swings with the board holder attachment. The nice thing about the board holder is not so much the angle, as the fact I can put the board at a more back friendly height.

Eddie

Post subject: Q
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:15 pm 
Friend
Friend

coco wrote:
If you want a real nice one, go to

http://www.chassi-swing.com/main/default.asp

Mine was made by the "Holy Ghost" based on DST and works fine. The chasis swing is very nicely done.

Yeah yeah those look very nice, and seemed to be priced well for the whole package. Maybe I'll think of one of these for the second build... (an AC30 or Bassman or Ampeg B-15).

Ordered my Transformers from S2, and my tubes from the TubeStore.com. Bought the Russian EL84M / 6P14P-EB http://thetubestore.com/russianel84m.html and the 6CA4 / EZ81
http://thetubestore.com/noslist-6types-6ctypes.html

I was wondering about that BBQ Copper Cap... http://thetubestore.com/wb-wca4.html Has anyone tried this?

Haven't bought the preamp tubes, but the local Long and McQuade sells those at a competitive price so I thought I'd buy the 12ax7's there. probably EH.

Cheers
Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:08 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I would stay away from the copper cap. I've had 2 of them melt on me. They are simply 2 diodes and a resistor fitted into the copper enclosure, but they don't seem to dissapate heat very well and can acutally melt their own solder.

You can get NOS or new EZ81s for under $20.

On the 12AX7s, I like JJ if you are using new tubes. They are more lively than many of the rest. EH tubes are quite good too and are quieter, but don't sound quite so lively.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:24 pm 
Expert
Expert

And anyway who would want to go SS when you can experiance the vintage sag of a EZ81, stick with tradition I say :-)
Nigel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:44 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I would stick with the tube recto. It provides some nice compression as well. If you do go SS, then build the recto yourself with the 2 - IN5408 diodes & a 200 ohm 5W power resistor to simulate sag.

You can always replace these with the tube recto later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:03 pm 
Expert
Expert

Plus, when you die and you are standing in front of your maker...you're going to have to answer for your sins....and one of the questions you will be asked is "did you use tubes at every opportunity?"

;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:24 pm 
Expert
Expert

Well,

I'm almost too embarassed to post this...but I already did on 18watt...

Started cutting my komboking chassis today.

Life is grand when you make such a huge mistake that you cut holes in the wrong spot! :x

Read about it here, with pictures too! :(

http://www.18watt.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=7508#69538

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next