trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:56 pm 
Expert
Expert

Well, I did a quick check of all connections to the recto socket to make sure everything was honky dorry.....and I fired up the amp.

Everything looks good so far. I've got 7.2v on the filaments and 325v on the main secondary. I'm fully expecting these voltages to come right down and fall in line as soon as I load her up with tubes...

and I can't forget the coolest part....seeing that red chicago mini lamp fire up!!

I'm going to continue checking all connections on the board, pots and tubes...but things are definitely promising!

-F

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:04 am 
Expert
Expert

Hey folks!!!!

She's alive and kickin!!!!

I had some trouble with my OT...but s2, the saint that he is, talked me through a repair of the OT tap...and I was off and running.

I also came criss crossed the v1 plate leads....which caused the normal inputs to feed the TMB channel and vice versa...

I also checked my voltages against the various posted voltages...and it seems to be in-line with everyone elses:

v1
1-137v
3-.96v
6-134
8-.99v

v2
1/7-159v
3-1.77v
6-258v
8-163v

v3
1-193v
2-35v
3/8-74v
6-197v
7-35v

v4
2-20mv
3-10v
7-343v
9-331

v5
v4
2-20mv
3-10v
7-343v
9-331

v6
1-308v
3-360v
7-307v

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:44 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Great news. Things are looking good. Can you measure your line voltage, just for reference? and only if you get a chance ( i.e. you can stop playing it) , B+ with no tubes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:26 am 
Expert
Expert

Stephen, I'll do line voltage check in a few days...going to be quite busy with the baby coming home tomorrow...

I had to resort to the usual tactics...my house voltage is pretty darn high around here...so I dropped a 10ohm resistor in series with the incoming ac. I think I'm down to about 123-124 with the resistor...129 without..

I just cranked her....holy smokes!!!

This is officially going to be my favorite amp...I haven't even told you guys what I did to my lightning (I'll be posting pics soon, but I went to 6v6's, added a cut and mid control (stolen from the tophat club deluxe schematic) and changed the power section to be closer to the tophat club deluxe....and after those mods, my lightning immediate became my favorite amp!

Withing 4 minutes of playing the sIII, the 'lightning deluxe' as I am calling it got pushed down to second duty!

I love both channels....they both sound amazing...I was going to build a JCM800 clone after this amp...I'm not going to any more...I can get any marshall tone I need out of this amp. I can go from Jimmy Page to Eddie Van Halen to Slash to Clapton on the same amp...it's amazing!

I'll post a more complete review down the road...but for now, rest easy that this thing rules!

-F

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:11 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Congrats BnV. The sIII is a good one isn't it? I find it much more flexible than the standard TMB and it doesn't have the buzzy thing that the TMB can somtimes exhibit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:19 pm 
Expert
Expert

Lawrence!

It most certainly is...It's immediately become my favorite amp. I've never played a real TMB, just a Lite IIb...so I don't have the point of reference...but the amp has all I would ever want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:16 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

BnV. It sounds like you nailed the sIII. 8) I like it's tonal flexibility too but I bet you haven't jumped the two channels yet, have you?!

You should start a new thread on your build c/w pics & clips!

Congrats :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:20 am 
Expert
Expert

Yup!! I've jumpered them!!! then dimed every knob... LOL

sounded great....although, I warmed up the TMB channel a bit by pulling the trebble back to about 3....

With the TMB channel a bit warmer...and the normal channel's tone cranked...you get a really cool shimmery gain characteristic...

Probably very similar to what a real plexi does when you jumper it...

Regardless, it's a smokin amp. I haven't even tried it with my vin30/H30 cab...just the Red Fang...I'll bet it smokes with that cab!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:25 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I'm very impressed - jumpered already! Yo da man BnV! Keep us posted! Don't wake the baby!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:20 am 
Expert
Expert

Well done Frank, I have been away on vacation which is why I have not been participating in the dialogue. I'd like to here some clips etc.

...and congratulations on the other baby ;-)
Nigel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:50 am 
Expert
Expert

Thanks Guys....

Now I've got to finish the cab, get knobs on this sucker...and wrap her up all pretty like...

-F

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:24 am 
Friend
Friend

bitsandvolts wrote:
<snip> baby coming home tomorrow...

-F

congrats on the new addition... and the new sIII ;)

I'm still waiting on my transformers from S2 :(

Soon I hope soon....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:38 am 
Expert
Expert

The almost finished stack :-) Just need some more corner protectors and a logo for the amp.

http://www.kirkby.com.au/g2/main.php?g2 ... itemId=503

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:53 pm 
Friend
Friend

finally got my sIII transfomers from s2... man he must be very busy.

will warm up the soldering iron within the next week. Keep your fingers crossed :shock: this should be fun.

cheers
Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:26 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

bevins wrote:
I am working on installing a mosfet circuit with Mike to drop the voltage in the 18watt, so we can get that cranked el84 tone at lower volumes, so thats where my efforts are going to be probably starting next week. I have it slated to go into the sIII. I made provisions when I wired it last nite.

Bob, Any luck on the Mosfet project?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8