trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 6:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Completed S111
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 1:58 pm 

This is my first post as a forum member here at Trinity. I had browsed this site and others before beginning my first amp project (a gift for my son). After investigating the various options available I decided to try my first build with Trinity using the S111. I have just completed that project and it is working (and sounding) great. Stephen has been a great help and tireless and enthusiastic resource.

I had never really built any type of electronic equipment before this and I did do considerable research (and solder practice) before beginning this but Trinity's instructions, layouts, & schematics made the build much less intimitating. As the project continued it really became fun and, unfortunately, addicting.

Stephen asked me to post the voltages I measured on the completed amp so...

The following are the voltages I have measured on the completed S111:

Note - with all tubes installed:

AC Mains: 123.4 VAC; B+ 356 VDC ( 424 VDC w/ just rectifier)

V1

Across pins 9 & 4/5 = 6.66 VAC
Pin 1 = 145 VDC
Pin 3 = 0.985 VDC
Pin 6 = 157 VDC
Pin 8 = 0.86 VDC

V2

Across pins 9 & 4/5 = 6.67 VAC
Pin 1 = 170 VDC
Pin 3 = 1.5 VDC
Pin 6 = 264 VDC
Pin 8 = 170 VDC

V3

Across pins 9 & 4/5 = 6.68 VAC
Pin 1 = 216 VDC
Pin 2 = 52 VDC
Pin 3 = 72 VDC
Pin 6 = 204 VDC
Pin 7 = 50 VDC
Pin 8 = 72 VDC

V4

Across pins 4 & 5 = 6.68 VAC
Pin 3 = 11.4 VDC
Pin 7 = 344 VDC
Pin 9 = 330 VDC

V5

Across pins 4 & 5 = 6.71 VAC
Pin 3 = 11.5 VDC
Pin 7 = 343 VDC
Pin 9 = 332 VDC

V6

Across pins 4 & 5 = 6.88 VAC

FYI: using a Radio Shack digital sound meter ( I use this at my son's band practices to enforce earplug rules) I measured the following during the S111's test phase:

Old Crate 65 Watt speaker 8ohm unknown efficiency@ approx 3 feet level with the speaker: 116 dB with the normal volume at 10, 117 dB with the TMB channel volume at 10 and the MV at 9.

Avatar 2x12 open back cabinet with one Emi Guv and one Emi Wizard: 124 dB with the normal volume at 10, 125 dB with the TMB channel at 10 and the MV at 9.

By way of comparison the amp he uses when his band plays out ( 80's style hair metal, some ZZ Top, GNR, Judas Priest) is an old Peavey Mace VT 160 watt combo. I have measured 125 dB from that amp with volume at about 6 ( no real point in ever turning the volume higher tone wise or for volume). I have no idea of the speaker efficiency on that amp either.

This amp is much louder than I expected (much to my son's delight). He is continuing to explore the settings. I intend to install an Emi Wizard in the old Crate amp for slightly less volume using this amp and a Champ clone I am building but I can see I will need some kind of attenuator.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:11 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Mr. quick,

For a first timer, you did a great job! Basically fired up first time. Loud - you got it.