trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 4:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Ultimate Tone, Vol.1
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:58 am 

I have a chance to buy this book at a reasonable price. I am wondering if it is written in such a way that a Newbe can get good info out of it? Also, how good a book is it? Will it explain preamps, power sections and the function of different caps and resistors in those systems? Your thoughts are appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:11 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I have not read Kevin's books. He has quite a reputation and TUT is ofter quoted. Hard to impagine that one book can cover all aspects and levels of tube / guitar amps. But he says on his web-site that he explains the essence of circuit operation in easy-to-understand language that conveys respect for the reader and the subject. Most assume some schematic reading abilities.

Further he says: The first volume explains the design, operation and modification of musical instrument amplifiers. Basic tube function, concepts of distortion generation, sustain and preamp gain structures are explored. Power amp principles are covered with an eye to improving reliability. This volume is essential for understanding reverbs, effects loops and switching systems.

The fundamentals from basic terminology to working circuits are presented, and all facets of construction and implementation explored.

more info ... http://www.londonpower.com/books.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:45 am 
Novice
Novice

It was a nice opening salvo, but not exhaustive. One of the late volumes has a more step-by-step section on the minutiae of component placement and values. Check the London Power website which has complete tables of contents on all books.

TUT1 was really a modder's book, not a builder's book. There wasn't much of a world of DIY building at the time it was written.

Bear

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:00 pm 

Thanks for the replies. I think the TUT1 will be good to build my knowlege base and I will also order TUT3 which appears to have a lot of info on amp building. Kind of afraid I would be a little lost if I just went straight to TUT3. Any thoughts on that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:07 pm 
Novice
Novice

Only have the first, so I can't comment. I've always thought I should get some of the others, but haven't yet.

Bear

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:56 pm 
Novice
Novice

I think Tut1 has a lot of good info for a designer. It covers the basics in the preamp and power amp pretty well. The sections on modding Fender preamps is also a great source. The channel switching is also good.

My only complaint (and it is mild) is that O'Connor's books seem to discount anything he doesn't like, such as EL34s or using optoisolators for switching, both of which are more than valid choices. I prefer to overlook the opinions and use them as good references. All of the Tut books seem to center on a few topics and complement each other.

At the end of the day no one book or series of books is enough. You'll need a small library. I think the Torres book "Inside Tubes Amps" is a good beginner book. Even the Gerald W.e.b.e.r books have a lot of useful info (even if they are more maintenance and common mod oriented).

As a designer, I find getting ahold of schematics of amps you like the sound of and want to emulate is also very valuable. Once you have a little theory, you can see why a Vox is different from a Marshall or Fender and how to use those differences to arrive at sounds you like.

I know http://www.tubesandmore.com has a nice selection of builder oriented books.