trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 12:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:08 pm 
Novice
Novice

Since I've quoted I'll chime in. The amp I built uses a fixed bias output based on the Deluxe Reverb output stage but using 18 watt transformers. I've built a couple of these. The Trinity OT is perfect for this amp. I just used the 8k primary, but I bet the 5k would work well too. I just really like how the amp sounds now and don't feel a need to mess with it.

There's no reason you couldn't modify an 18 watt style cathode biased output stage to work. You'll just need a few changesl. The grid leaks should be changed to 220k, the PI can be changed to the more common 470R/22k pair for 6V6s (or 28k for the second). This will drive the 6V6s properly. Also consider reducing the grid resistors on the 6V6s to 2.7k or even 1.5k.

That chassis looks VERY nice...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:29 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Thanks. I can hardly wait. That chassis can be & was modded to have both 6V6 & EL84s installed as a prototype.

Update: The sIII is built & working. The octals are in place, heaters connected. I hope very soon this will be working and under test!

I want to be able to switch the 6v6/EL84 in/out - either pair at a time (not both)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:45 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

rjgtr wrote:
There's no reason you couldn't modify an 18 watt style cathode biased output stage to work. You'll just need a few changes. The grid leaks should be changed to 220k, the PI can be changed to the more common 470R/22k pair for 6V6s (or 28k for the second). This will drive the 6V6s properly. Also consider reducing the grid resistors on the 6V6s to 2.7k or even 1.5k.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to use/switch between both.

How do you think this might work out? Changes from stock sIII in Red.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:20 pm 
Novice
Novice

Stephen, that looks reasonable. It is certainly a great place to start. However, I think the .01uf coupling caps are too small. Use .022 for a better low end. Don't worry about flab, since the too high .1uf of the DR is usually the cause of this. I've had a lot of sucess with the .022s.

Maybe you can drive the EL84 sockets by paralleling a seconf set of coupling caps to the EL84 output section?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:09 am 
Friend
Friend

I have an sIII with 6V6 and EL84 power tubes installed. I am running the cathode resistors and capacitors through a relay to ground so I can switch between tubes with a foot switch. The 6V6's are much higher in volume and I would like to bring them closer together so I don't go from normal volume to a roar when switching. I've tried to increase the value of the resistor on the 6V6 set. There's not much differance, I've gone from 250 ohm to 3.5K. Does anyone have an idea on how to tame the 6V6's a bit. Everything sounds great and runs OK other then this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:48 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

What happens if you put the 8.2K EL84 grid resistor in there? Sounds like they have lots of drive. Or maybe go back to the original long tail pair PI resistor?

Sounds like they need less drive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:58 am 
Novice
Novice

airmech50 wrote:
I have an sIII with 6V6 and EL84 power tubes installed. I am running the cathode resistors and capacitors through a relay to ground so I can switch between tubes with a foot switch. The 6V6's are much higher in volume and I would like to bring them closer together so I don't go from normal volume to a roar when switching. I've tried to increase the value of the resistor on the 6V6 set. There's not much differance, I've gone from 250 ohm to 3.5K. Does anyone have an idea on how to tame the 6V6's a bit. Everything sounds great and runs OK other then this.

Can you U/L a schematic of the power section. You might need to use a second set of coupling caps, grid leak and grid resistors for the 6V6s. This would let you adjust down the grid leaks for the 6v6s to 220k, which should provide the lower drive you need, while still using 2.7k or less grid resistors. The extra coupling caps will keep the circuits for the two sets of output tubes from interacting too much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:02 am 
Friend
Friend

Well, I think I found my problem. I have one power tube with some sort of internal short. As it heats up it draws more and more current and the volume increases along with it. I put a bias tester on the amp and could watch the current climb. It actually starts to distort at a point. So, I'm going to order a new matched set of tubes today and see how things work out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:26 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Can't wait. I'm going to wire this puppy up today/tomorrow I hope & lbet & I will test drive ours soon and report back in a new thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:43 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

My sIII V6 is working as a prototype. :D

:arrow: I left the LTP at 56K . If we want more drive, I'll add another 56K in parallel to the LTP and see how it goes.

:arrow: I simply added another 120 ohm cathode resistor in series with the one for the EL84s so the cathode bypass cap only is working on 120 ohm cathode resistor.

:arrow: Used 1.5K grid resistors to the 6V6s

:arrow: Used NOS Sylyania 6V6s

:arrow: Rest is stock sIII

lbet is coming over to test drive it this weekend. If we both like it, it'll get cleaned up and put into service.

Probably make it switchable. Right now, if you want V6 power, you have to plug them into the spare octals I installed in the new, modded chassis, and remove the EL84s.

Oh yeah, and I better put his boost switch in before he gets here. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:33 pm 
Friend
Friend

Gents, I don't suppose you could make a few sound clips for us on the 18 watters running EL84's vs. 6v6's could ya?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:09 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Well, we want to but lbets recording studio computer is down and out. As soon as it's back up again, for sure.

I took mine (now called the sIII v6) to get an opinion from Rob Baker from the Tragically Hip. He already has one of my 30 Watters. After 45 minutes of playtime, he wanted one, so I'm thinking, this is winner! Duhh 8)

It deserves some serious clips.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:52 pm 
Friend
Friend

For sure! He's got a nice smooth tone so if a guy like that who doesn't muck his sound up by running it through a rack of effects likes the tone, then i think I know which version I will be going for. I take it these 18 watt flavours take booster pedals well? some times for some extra lead its nice to have...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:10 pm 
Novice
Novice

The 18 watt is very good with boost pedals. I even play around with a treble booster on mine, just to do the Brian Mayish thing and is great. However, I really like it with just a chord and the guitar volume control.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:12 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Oh yeah, he wants the Boost Switch Option too! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:42 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

coco wrote:
Well, we want to but lbets recording studio computer is down and out. As soon as it's back up again, for sure.

I took mine (now called the sIII v6) to get an opinion from Rob Baker from the Tragically Hip. He already has one of my 30 Watters. After 45 minutes of playtime, he wanted one, so I'm thinking, this is winner! Duhh 8)

It deserves some serious clips.

I will be working on the pc this weekend. I anticipate clippage early next week.

LB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:10 pm 
Novice
Novice

I'll be waiting here with bated breath. (Or at lease breath that smells like bait. :shock: :lol: )

LeeMo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:32 am 
Friend
Friend

Another vote for boost switch here.. would love to have the option on an amp running 6v6's!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:32 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I'm working on foot controlled EL84/V6 switch and the boost switch now. Currently, just toggled On/Off, but these will be electronically controlled.

Can't have the roadies flipping switches on stage now can we? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:22 pm 
Novice
Novice

coco wrote:
Can't have the roadies flipping switches on stage now can we? :lol:

"Sod 'em, they get PAID" - Pete Townsend... :lol: