trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 4:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:19 pm 

Ok in order to get my engraved nameplate/Logo to light just that like the H&K Alex Lifeson model I am thinking about cutting a channel under the nameplate just big enough to let the cold cathode tube shine up thru the plexiglass and not be visible anywhere else like in the photo below

I am going to be using this amsll 3mm cold cathode tube here
http://cgi.ebay.com/4-DUAL-UV-BLACKLIGH ... dZViewItem

Does anyone know if this is how its done to get the effect like the H&K amp here
http://thegearpage.net/board/showthread ... adid=65991

I am building a 18W 2X12 combo amp in purple tolex and a purple cold cathod lamp to light the faceplate
Thanks
Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:36 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Seems a bit complicated. Can you use one/two 6.3V pilot light? Thats a popular solution.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:39 pm 
Friend
Friend

I saw the amp you refered to at the amp show in Los Angeles. It has the H&K name actually cut out, not engraved into the plastic. What you are seeing is the edges of the plastic lighting up. I'm sure that an engraved name would also react to a light at the right angle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:12 pm 
Novice
Novice

I've also seen it done with etching. If you apply a stencil to the plexiglass and cut it out with a razor blade you should be able to brush on some kind of acid or something. Hell, sandpaper would work, but it would only look good from about 15 feet. As long as you can get some kind of facet on your design, in contrast with the smooth/clear plexi, it should give you the effect.

The lighting is also important. You need to completely recess and hide the cold cathode light. Build it right into the cabinet and butt the plexiglass right up to it. That's the whole visual illusion. If you can't see where the light is coming from then the design will look like it's floating.