trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 9:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: sIII V6 First Kit build
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:37 pm 
Friend
Friend

Steve tells me I have built the first sIII v6 kit. Took about 6 hours to put it together (my second kit build, first was a tremolo version). Steve provides a very organized kit with parts and instructions well laid out. Worked perfectly first time. Was jamming with the amp hours after the build at near full volume. My god this amp sounds great. I am now working on a second v6 build for a friend along with two 2x12 cabinets with Tone Tubby's. The setup will only be better with I get the cabs finished with these speakers to work with this amp. Anyone who is not happy with a setup like this should give up and try another profession or hobby. It will not get any better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:08 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Commando, 6 hours? Can't get enough of that sugar crisp 'eh? What a build. You will love how the amp sounds with tone tubbys.

Congrats! Clips?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:21 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Hey commando, got any pics of your build? I know there are a few v6 going together out there.

Some comments would help others as well. Such as your personal build tips and such. Maybe even things you would do differently next build - you are building two correct??!

Looking forward to hearing about your Tone Tubby Bomb Builds as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:28 am 

I'd love to hear as well. My kit just arrived yesterday. Hopefully I'll be starting my build in the next couple of days. I'll try to remember to take some pics as well. This will be my first amp kit though I was an electronics geek back in high school and built a ton of projects back then. The biggest being a PAiA modular synthesizer kit. No tubes but a ton of stuff to get together right.

Kevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:50 am 
Novice
Novice

I'm not far behind ya. I just finished my ElV6. How come it seems that you always finish at 10:30 or later? :cry: I can't blister the paint on the walls 'til tomorrow morning. I played thru an attenuator and it seems REALLY NICE. :D
I didn't get to borrow my son's digi camera, so I didn't get any snaps. Just look at Coco's "First prodction V6" and mine looks zackley like it 'cept the wires are different and there's a good chance that rodents would feel more at home in my rats nest. :oops:
Hey , it fired up first time. :D :D :D
Coco sent me a few extra bolts nuts and washers. I think he was playin' with my head. It made me triple check to be sur I hadn't left something out.
Let's raise a glass to Coco for makin' a great kit. Cheers!

LeeMo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:18 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Wow, that's pretty fast! Hope you can get some pics in there and some clips too. Please your experiences, fav settings, how you play it etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:05 pm 
Novice
Novice

Well, here's a mini review:
The 6v6's aren't as loud as the EL84's. I wasn't expecting that. Maybe I need to tweak it. I haven't checked the voltages yet. Too busy playing it. Not a big problem , really.
The normal channel is way better than I ever imagined. Especially with a Tele on the 6v6's. Volume maxed tone on 4-5 , mmmmm good.
That's not to say that the TMB isn't great. I just wasn't expecting much on the normal channel. The TMB on EL 84's loves a Les Paul. Then nail the boost and WHOAAAH! :D :shock:
I'm able to use 8-12 dB's of attenuation without seriously effecting the tone. It's still pretty loud tho. I'm sure that my neighbors wish that I would play a whole song all thhe way thru. :oops:
I found that most 12ax7's were microphonic and "ringy" in V1 . So far the best is a 5751 NOS RCA .
Right now I'm still on my "Honeymoon" with her. ( except it's my FINGERS that are sore ) :lol:
I'll have to make some clips. This thing is frikin' incredible. I'm lovin' it.

LeeMo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:07 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Got her going. Good! The Normal channel surprises a lot of people. It's not just an 'add on'. For what it is, it's pretty decent eh? It's the Tremolo channel voicing from the 18 watt original. IMO better then the original 18 watt Normal channel used on the TMB.

Yes, the 6V6 aren't as loud as people expect but there is an upside to that in that they can be nice and clean then BAM - Add the boost.

Play it for a week or two then think about tweaking.

If you tweak, remember that you have to be able to 'easily' switch between the two. There is an extra pole on the toggle switch ( :D hmm wonder what that's for eh?)

You can decrease the PI tail resistor to half if you want but we found it didn't make a whole lot of difference.

And LeeMo, Don't forget to jump channels once in a while! 8)

Time to get a v6 tweaking thread going!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:38 pm 
Expert
Expert

Great going LeeMo :D . Gotta keep those fingers sore.
I gace in and ordered from coco and am building the sIII, Then I'll go after the V6.
Where's the parts :( , just joking coco, when they get here, they get here.
Finishing the control room for the recording studio. These doulble walls are costing. Woods expensive.
I probubly ought to start a new thread and show the build.
Have fun LeeMo, I'm next :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:51 pm 
Novice
Novice

jac ,
Have you ever been to this site?

http://www.johnlsayers.com/

There are plenty of ideas to be had there.

LeeMo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:16 pm 
Expert
Expert

Wow :D . Thankyou so much. I purchased many books and read thoery and design. But all help is greatly appreciated. Especially since I'm in the framing /wiring part of the build. That's great.

You should see the rubber that is placed between the doulble drywall sheets that we purchased. First, we had to travel 3 hrs to get it (you don't want to know the shipping) Then, the two of us dying all the way down the stairs, it was so heavy :lol:.

Anyway I agree with coco, need your (I like it!) settings and have to start a tweaking thread.
Thanks again
Jac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:44 pm 
Novice
Novice

Ethan Winer is an acoustics guru. (As well as cello and computer Guru). Here are some articles that he has written .
http://www.realtraps.com/articles.htm
You can go to his personal site for more articles on different subjects,also.

LeeMo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:48 pm 
Expert
Expert

You the man, LeeMo.
Thank agaain.

p.s. You still the man, coco. Best 18watt out there, the lightening one of these days :D

Thanks, guys
Jac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:52 pm 
Expert
Expert

As an afterthought,;

I work 16 hr days and come home and this is the first webpage I go to.

Thanks, coco

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:19 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

You're welcome guys. Enjoy. JAc, get ready, parts coming in Jan 11th. Going out on the 12th!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:41 am 
Novice
Novice

Coco,
Sorry for the highjack. :oops:
Recording is one of my other passions. In fact that's how I wound up building amps. I read an article in the Tape-Op book about how tubes work and I started searching for more knowledge.

LeeMo

By the way, I've been playing with all sorts of different tubes in all positions. Today a light went off in my head to check my Bassman Ten and Music Man RD112 Fifty to see what was there. BINGO !!! :D
Two RCA 7025's a Sylvania 12ax7 / ecc83/ 7025 and a Realistic Lifetime 12ax7 all made in the USA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:00 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

LeeMo, Jac, check out this thread on recording clips - viewtopic.php?t=135&highlight=record

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:00 pm 
Expert
Expert

Did I hear the word parts, as in I can finally have my Trinity :shock: :D , Woo Hoo! (first word that came into my head, go figure)

Thanks, coco, guess I'm gonna have to start that thread aup again.