trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 2:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:46 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Just got in some NOS tubes from Terry (sgtoverdrive) for my SIIIv6.

American pre's and rectifier, russian military (old cold war era diamond logo (reflector plant?) 6n-14n-eb's made for nuke attack subs supposedly).

Anyway, I have a short ribbed plate, dark graphite grey GE, a long ribbed plate, dark charcoal grey GE and a long ribbed black plate Raytheon.

Any baseline suggestions as to what should go into V1, V2 and the PI (V3)?

I know I should try them in all combinations, but by the time I do that I doubt if I'd remember the differences.

Help? :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:20 am 
Experienced
Experienced

From looking at the tubeworld web sight, looks like I should try the Raytheon in V1, GE longplate in V2 and the shortplate for the PI.

I'll try tonight and see what it sounds like.

Other suggestions welcome!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:34 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Will ask a few players.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:13 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I've been playing with the new (old) tubes tonight and I settled on the Raytheon blackplate in V1, the GE longplate in V2 anf the GE shortplate as the PI.

It was a bit of a toss-up between switching V1 and V2 but things sounded a bit nicer with the set up mentioned. The amp is more "open"? It sounds clearer and more "in the room" somehow.

The big surprise is how much quiter the amp is! The noise floor is about 1/4 of what it was! Wasn't expecting that but what a nice surprise. The el84 channel is now as quiet as the 6v6 channel was!

It almost sounds like I'm getting reverb from the amp when I've got it crunching (TMB channel, Vol on 7, MV on 1!). Maybe it's the cabs adding some tone, but it sounds great :D

Added incentive to practice more, internet less!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:30 am 
Friend
Friend

Honestly... just keep swappin'. You'll find a good combination. Just start a nice 12AX7 collection and you're sure to be heading in the right direction.

Easto

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:02 am 
Experienced
Experienced

I've tried 5 different NOS american tubes over the last few weeks, the current line up as described above is my favorite.

They certainly make a difference to my admittedly not so golden ears!

There seems to be more of "everything" going on with these as compared to the Ei's I had in there to begin with. I guess I now know what "taking a balnket off the amp" means because thinking about it, that is just about what it sounds like. There is also the Sozo's and Celestion's breaking in in addition.

I also think that the cab is having an effect, I think that I'm getting some reverb or overtones from the finished mahogany that is adding in something nice to the mix. Or it's all in my head :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:05 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Wouldn't it be nice if there was a tube exchange program?. You know, Tube 'o the Month. Play for a month, send it on to the next player! :D
The you could try them all and decide.

You should see if you can find a Mullard or Amperex Bugle Boy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:17 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Terry has them, but I was stocking up for future builds (like the TC-15 :D ) so I was being a little careful on $ until I could tell if I could tell a difference in tubes, if you can follow that convoluted sentence.

So I got a set of good american pre's and rectifier and an octet of matched 6n14n-eb's for power tubes as I like what I hear from them so far. The eb's should be able to take the voltages on the Vos / Matchless style builds.

I'll be getting some of the european tubes to try out next since I can hear a difference. And from what I hear, the pre's should be good for years and years of use with any luck. Let me know if that is incorrect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:38 pm 
Expert
Expert

Great idea.
If you would like to try one jcny, I have a couple mullard.

I'm not kidding.

Just have to bubble wrap the hell out of them.
I'm willing.
Anyone else.

Jac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:10 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Jac, I'd like to try a mullard or two!

Let me know what you need to do this, now that I know that I can hear a difference, I'd like to find out if everything I've heard about mullard's is something that I can notice.

I would guess that the best place for one would be V1?

Let me know. Thanks!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:41 pm 
Expert
Expert

Don't know which position, your ahead of me on Stephen's build's. But if you want, I'll let you try them. just make sure when you send them back they're wrapped well. That's all. I do think this is a great idea. For right now restrict the swapping to your forum Stephen.
Thanks,
Jac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:56 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Jac, I'll be happy to try them and let you know what I think, it would also help me determine if my ears are good enough to tell the difference and if they would be worth the price to me. I'll keep the shipping material and wrap them the same to get back to you.

I have a friend of mine who used to do sound for bands and had a real good ear tell me years ago on stereo equipment that "when you get to the point that you are going to double the price of a component to be able to hear a difference ---- stop!", you are at the point where you are wasting money. I've gone by that advice (whith some exceptions) ever since and not been sorry.

Send me an e mail at jdcanada at buffnet dot net, with the normal substitutions, and we can discuss details.

Thank you for the offer!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:09 pm 
Expert
Expert

Sounds cool, as long as we trust each other and we are careful, this could be fun.

This way, Hell, do we really want to buy a mullard, dont know till you heard it, since everyone ear is so subjective.

Well, Im taking the initiative, anyone else want to jump in. I have some great tubes. But there are others I have always wanted to try,
Thanks, Jac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:15 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I'd get involved, but being in Canada makes it difficult. I have a good selection of US & European tubes.

Be sure to insure your mail!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:29 pm 
Expert
Expert

didn't think of that, thanks.
The whole thing just sound sfun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:34 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Jac, did you get my e mail from last night? I replied to your direct to me and sent you my address but I'm not sure you got it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:15 am 
Expert
Expert

Yup, I replied