trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2024 12:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: jcny has the mullards
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:34 am 
Expert
Expert

Sent the tubes to jcny, Lets see how he likes them.
He has them now

He better post clips :shock: :shock: :D :D
Jac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:40 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Darn right. C'mon Mr. Canada, tell it!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:27 am 
Experienced
Experienced

OK guys! :shock:

I'm feeling better, haven't picked up my guitar in over a week but today is the day. I already started on the comparison project. Item 1, when you put felt pads on the rubber feet to protect the beautiful hardwood cab that Stephen made, you need to cut out the center so you can remove the chassis when you want. (Don't need to do that when you change the tubes, just something that I remembered I had to do).

I'm going to substitute Jac's tubes into V1 to start just to see what difference I can hear, then try them in V1 and V2.

Remember, my ears aren't "golden" so take my comments with a grain (or a whole danged bag) of salt!
:roll:

I should have comments up later tonight, Jac, sorry no clips. For as much as I've been out of work the last few years, all the free money has gone into guitars and Stephen's amps and cabs :D I have no digital camera, no recording equipment and the PC's about 10 years old and I'm at the end of a 17 mile phone line with no boosters - therefore dial-up only for this boy.

Later :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:57 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

HOUSTON WE HAVE A PROBLEM :( :( :(

I've written Jac directly with the details, but -- the Mullard is dark. :cry:

I've turned the lights off in the room and there is no glow at all, heater not working? :?

It feels real easy to plug into the socket, maybe too easy. I get a very low signal through the speakers with the tube in V1. The speakers are putting out the guitar tones very clear, but at acoustic levels, but the sound is coming from the speakers. I did not try wiggling the tube into the socket or anything else until I contacted you guys for suggestions.

I don't think I did anything to hurt it. :oops:
Let me know what to try, as long as it is approved by Jac.

The Amperex is fine however. So I tried the Amperex compared to the Raytheon blackplate in V1.

To my ears the differences are very subtle, much more so than the difference between the American NOS and the Ei's.

The Amperex "may" be slightly quieter and it sounds a little darker. I think that either the highs are a little lower, or more likely the mids are slightly boosted as compared to the Raytheon.

They both sound very nice compared to the original Ei's, much more open, less muffled sounding to me. I'd take either of them, but I'm leaning towards the Raytheon, but I think it's because I'm more used to how it sounds. I'm going to give the Amperex a few days and see what I think when I switch back.

Anything you think I should try for the comparison? I'm varying the guitar volume and tone, switching tubes at each setting. I've also changed MV and vol settings, everything's been compared on the TMB channel, unbridged so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:42 pm 
Expert
Expert

:D Not a problem. I told you I had to rebend the pins. So I didn't know. Looks like I'm in the market for a new one. Gotta have one, just for comparison.

Wait, you said Amperex? The amperex is the mullard, the other is a telefunkin. Which one doesn't work?
Thanks, Jac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:46 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Jac, the Amperex / Mullard is OK, it's the other (Telefunken) that's dark. They both have 4 seams on the top of the bottle, I thought that was a Mullard thing?

I'll try wiggling the tube in the socket to see if it's a loose pin to socket connection and get back later today with a report.