trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2024 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:20 pm 
Friend
Friend

:roll: Point me in the right direction to some info. I've heard several mentions of the name but no definite description.

Thanks,
Denny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:26 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Craig, is this the final schematic for the Atlas Tweed you speak of? I found it on your web site.

http://www.geocities.com/craigbbbb/AtlasSCHEM.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:36 pm 
Friend
Friend

Sorry, guys, been on holiday for a few days.

Yes, that is the final schematic. FWIW, before I sold it, I had been running a 5751 in the PI socket, which I preferred over the 12AX7.

CraigB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:04 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Cool,

The Holy Ghost is gearing up to convert an old Thomas Organ reverb amp, with 6V6s in it. It has space for 3-9 pin tubes, so we'll start simple with your circuit and see how it goes with 2 of them.
The operation looks very simple and we're loking forward to the results. I'll keep posting updates on the progress, and ultimately, sound clips of course. Just don't hold your breath too long! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:39 am 
Friend
Friend

Vol, tone, master, it doesn't get much simpler than that. A guy by the name of DennisF over at ax84 made a soundclip that was impressive. I never did any recording with it, but I did use it on several gigs. Let us know how you like it - CraigB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:55 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Well, I just got a call from the R&D department, the amp is ready to try out! I'll be reporting back in a week with the results.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 8:05 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Well, we have our first version of the Atlas Tweed. So far, not quite what we expected..not enough effect by the MV control. We can't seem to get it inot sweet distortion much at all. So we replaced the 5Y3 with a 5U4 and that cranked it up a notch, then we put in a higher gain tube - another notch, but that's with everything dimed.

So, we're thinking the first stage AX17 may not be driving hard enough. We used an old cathode bypass in a can cap, for V1 so I'll replace it with new parts and see what happens.

Any other suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 4:50 pm 
Friend
Friend

That's disappointing to hear. Of the several people who have built, none of them have mentioned the problems you're describing. Hopefully it's just a bad cathode bypass cap on the first stage? Also, what are you using, audio or linear taper, on the MV control? CraigB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 6:19 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I'm not disappointed. I'll try the cathode bypass first then post the results. The MV is a log taper.
I'm confident it will get sorted out and will result in a great sounding amp. I'm hoping one mor week of trials will do it. Stay tuned!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 10:00 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Just a thought though, what transformer did you use, and was it a correct match for the 6V6s?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 7:03 pm 
Friend
Friend

I used a DR replacement for PT for sure, and I can't remember exactly, but I think old pull 2x6V6 OT from a VoycAll PA amp, so probably 8-10K pri.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 8:01 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Ok, I have one like that in my parts bag! Although the one I have looks pretty good. I'll keep you posted.

Post subject: Atlas Tweed
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:40 pm 
Friend
Friend

Steve have you made any progress with your Atlas? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:54 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

It's made and works. It's not loud enough and I cant really get it to break up nicely. I've been too busy to get back at it but I will as soon as possible. Really want to make this go!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:33 pm 
Friend
Friend

Wow, I'm at a loss as to what the problem could be. I'm seriously bummed to hear that you don't like it. The one I made was every bit as loud as a 5E3, and in fact, sounded a lot like one when turned all the way up. (That was with the 5751 instead of a 12AX7.) And the few people I know of that built one loved theirs. Maybe try disconnecting the MV pot? I seem to remember you said you didn't like how that worked, which I didn't have that problem either. Dang, I hope it works out. CraigB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:21 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

What amp doesn't require some tweaking?? It will rise & it will be Fine, Fine, Fine! At least when I get back to it. I just haven't had the time.