trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2024 4:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 12:06 am 
Friend
Friend

Hello,

Allow me to introduce myself as I am a new member. My name is Kim (aka: CrazyMisfit). I am hoping to start building a new sIII 18 watt kit, very soon. But with most newbie’s I do have a few questions:

1) I have been debating to either go with a combo or a head style for the sIII, and I still can’t make up my mind. Any suggestions on which one I should choose?

3) Has anyone tried or has success with adding an effects loop? It’s not terribly crucial, but it would be nice to have some delay. I did read somewhere that there could potentially be some negative change in tone of the amplifier. Don’t know if that’s true or not, like I said I am new to this.

2) And finally what new production tubes do most people suggest? I used to have a bunch of NOS tubes (you name it I had it)…until they all got stolen! :x :cry: Unfortunately I don’t have the money to buy a bunch of those tubes as most of them were just given to me by my late great grandfather. All I have left are my matched RCA 6L6GC Blackplate's.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice. I am sure I will have more questions as time progresses. Can’t wait to get this project going once the extra cash become available… :wink: Maybe I should sell those tubes.... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 6:44 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

1) Head is more versatile from a mix & match perspective.
Head has lots of space for options on the rear.
Head has more holes for tubes
Head can be modded for second set of power tubes (e.g. v6)
Combo more 'cost effective' .
Combo has more 'vibrational' issues
Combo a bit more restricted in space.
Combo is easy to set up & gig with.

2) Simple passive effects loop I built worked but did drop the TMB channel level down when engaged but not bad.

viewtopic.php?t=423&highlight=effects

3) I find JJ to be pretty decent sound/value. Discussion on "Best" 12AX7 here:

viewtopic.php?t=509&highlight=production

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 7:10 am 
Novice
Novice

I'll chime in on tubes. I have picked up some bargains from Ebay. Other than stuff i have bought from a few guys on the internet the vast majority of my stuff has come from Ebay. RFT tubes are fairly cheap and sound great in 18 watters. If you get the chance, Mullard is the way to go but the EL84s go for silly money these days. I was lucky enough to be given a pair by a guy i know. They sound nice :wink: I like Polam/Telam EL84s in my 18 watters though. They can be had for reasonable money off the bay when they occasionally come up.

Often i have bought my tubes for less than or equal the price of new stock tubes. So i think why buy new stock tubes?

JJs are ok for the amp but i found them flubby in the bottom end and a little muddy overall. Their pre-amp tubes are better than the power tubes in the 18 watt amps IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 12:42 pm 
Expert
Expert

Excellent explanation from Coco.
I'm building a combo and wish it was a head. Wiring is so tight well... it's tough.
I purchased Coco's new TC-15 and it will be in a head.

Hoe this helps :D
Later,
Jac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 1:56 pm 
Friend
Friend

Hey thanks everyone!

I think I shall go with the head version. With the more room it sounds like the best way to go in terms of tweaking, and overall construction ease. I will have to keep my eye out on some tubes deals out there on Ebay, plus experiment a little. Again thanks! Hope to start this one soon! :D