trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 9:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 6:03 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Hey everyone

I'm still really jazzed on the 5E3 circuit. At the same time, I'd like a blackface deluxe as well so I can use the Two-Rock values. So one head, both circuits.

I'd love some help thinking this out -- I'm not sure how to approach it. Does each channel have it's own set of tubes? Doing it that way would be simple but not efficient.

I don't mind using a separate input for each although flipping a toggle up or down to swich circuits would be turbo-slick :wink:

In this case, I'd still like to buy all my parts from Coco, but the chassis obviously wouldn't work out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 7:05 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Do you have all schematics you want? I havent looked into this over but could if you sent / posted them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 1:53 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I do, actually. I'll email them right over to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:53 pm 
Friend
Friend

Wow, great idea but just the power sections of those circuits are so different.

Tweed: concertina splitter into cathode biased power tubes w/o negative feedback

Blackface: long tailed pair phase inverter into fixed bias power section using negative feedback

Either you build two amps in one box or you end up with a mixed-breed that doesn't sound like either one. You could feed a Tweed Deluxe preamp into a Blackface power section - probably would be really cool (especially if you had a switch to jumper the two input triodes in parallel), but it wouldn't have that raw growl the more "primitive" Tweed power section delivers. Personally, I don't see much point in feeding a BF preamp into a Tweed power section. YMMV.

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:39 pm 
Expert
Expert

and what would YMMV mean, I'm getting to old for the language, BUT NEVER to old to ROCK.
A sIII and a Mojotone 335. Can I blow the windows out :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:
I'm going to try :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 12:04 am 
Friend
Friend

YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 12:10 am 
Expert
Expert

why thank you kind sir :D Sooner or later I'll get all these hi-tech terms :lol: :lol:
Now back to our regularly scheduled channel's.

"Soldering amps, the mystery, the mayhem. the love."
On every Tuesday's @ 9:00 pm est :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 12:28 am 
Friend
Friend

jac - sorry for the unintelligable abbreviation. Guess I use "YMMV" as a general "this is just an opinion and anybody's free to disagree" disclaimer. Seems like there are a lot of "experts" out here stating "facts" that really aren't, if you know what I mean ;)

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 12:44 am 
Expert
Expert

no problem, I was just wondering what it meant.
So many abbreviations on the net. Half the time I don't know what anyone's saying.
Thanks for the reply and I'm sorry I have to get back to the show :D
What :shock: :shock: Your not watching. Some people :lol: The best reality show on the planet and not watching :lol: :lol: Their building a JTM45 and someone's going to get shocked tonight :shock: He didn't tie his hand behind his back :shock: :shock: . The plot is just awesome 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 1:14 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Thanks for the info, Chip.

If I don't plan on using it for overdrive, do you think putting the tweed pre into the blackface power would lose its sound? The hope is that this will be my jazz/soul/R&B amp. Being able to get both in the same head really seems like the ideal situation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 6:45 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I haven't had a chance to look over the schematics you sent but if the
Quote:
Tweed: concertina splitter into cathode biased power tubes w/o negative feedback and the Blackface: long tailed pair phase inverter into fixed bias power section using negative feedback.

It's not going to be easily to achieve your goal. You wouldnt have much tweed sound. You might try to work with the BF & do some mods to get a bluesy sound on the second channel, because the Tweed is pretty well blues at volume. Maybe your idea of Tweed I/P to BF output.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:40 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

What confuses me about the blackface layouts is that I don't know how to get rid of the reverb and tremolo. I also can't figure out how they work if I DID want them. Certainly reverb and trem don't come from more tubes, caps, and resistors do they?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:25 pm 
Friend
Friend

JamesO wrote:
What confuses me about the blackface layouts is that I don't know how to get rid of the reverb and tremolo. I also can't figure out how they work if I DID want them. Certainly reverb and trem don't come from more tubes, caps, and resistors do they?

Tremelo comes from a tube, caps & resistors.

Reverb comes from tube(s), caps, resistors, a transformer, and a reverb tank (set of springs between two transducers).

There must be a schematic somewhere for an AB763 BF Deluxe w/o the reverb and/or tremelo.

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:27 pm 
Novice
Novice

Not all Tweeds are like the 5E3 in the PI and cathode bias. I think a 5E4 Super iteration had 6V6's instead of 6L6's, and that might be worth checking out. Check out the brownface Princeton and Deluxe (6G2 and 6G3), too, for topology closer to blackface but with lower voltages.

Bear

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:42 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Thanks for the lead! I found a schematic and layout:

http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/schem/deluxe_6g3_schem.gif

http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/schem/deluxe_6g3_layout.gif

Now, it looks like it uses a long-tail phase inverter similar to the blackface deluxe. However, the components around V1 have different values than the 5E3.

Plates are 220k rather than 100k
Cathode resistor is 1500k rather than 820k
C1 and C2 are .02 rather than .01

Will these things take away the openness and warmth of the 5E3?

I know the different phase inverter will make it break up a lot later, but the beakup isn't what I liked about the 5E3, it was that warmth.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:55 pm 
Friend
Friend

what type of circuit is Mark Bartel using with his Imperial, that amp seems to achieve the

Blackface/tweed marriage in spades, I'm just waiting for someone to copy it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:48 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Jumpers on top is a maintentance, aesthetic preference. No issues either way.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:16 am 

Sorry about pulling up an older thread, new here and just looking around.

Now as far as getting a Blackface and 5E3 in the same amp, well there are a couple of different Blackface circuits. I used a Princeton for this since the PI is the same as the 5E3 but I have a few tricks that allow you to switch between a Cathodyne and a Long Tail Pair.

But back to the basic Tweed BF question, how about this?

I was planing on a push-pull switch on the reverb knob, some values like the fixed bias needs to be tweaked but generally the idea should work.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:37 am 
Novice
Novice

That is all kinds of cool.

Thanks for sharing.

Also, because it's not written down, you'd use a 3pdt switch for the BF/Tweed swtich?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:38 pm 

Actually a four pole switch (switch to the BF tone stack, switch the tonestack out to the normal input, two poles to bypass the volume pot on that channel), they have miniature toggles fairly cheap. It was late last night and I guess I never gave all the pertinent information. The pots are dual 1M, the volumes are shared, the tone converts to a treble, the Normal volume to the bass control. I did a similar thing on a single channel amp switching between Tweed and BF controls and using the bass control second section to load down the output of the preamp, a single channel 5E3.

I did some playing around with the PI section and with a four pole switch can pretty much go between two flavours of the common PI's, LTP, Cathodyne, Paraphase, and Floating Paraphase. Picked up some nifty Russian multi-pole rotary switches that can do all the above in one switch. I have not had the time to try it yet though, or been brave enough.