Expert

More Visio parts here. Scroll down.
Later
http://amps.zugster.net/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:04 am 
Expert
Expert

I just finally opened these. There's alot of great parts in here.
Adams site is nice too. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:17 am 
Friend
Friend

I really like the consistant colour scheme that Marshall use for hook-up wire from board to tubes, Green=grids, Yellow=cathodes and Blue=plates - it makes it a lot easier to quickly see (well sometimes :D ) what's where.

Good for troubleshooting problem amps and if it's the online kind there is nothing worse than all one colour wire used throughout the amp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:07 pm 
Friend
Friend

jcny - There's a free software program called ExpressSCH that you can use for both schematics and stylized layouts. Here's a section of the Hoffman Amps forum with lots of examples plus custom component symbols for virtually anything you'd want to put in a guitar amp: http://www.el34world.com/Forum/yabb2/np ... Schematics

Please note that Doug Hoffman used/uses a somewhat unique layout approach in terms of the ground buss and the location of the power rail. You can find a collection of Hoffman-style layouts here: http://www.el34world.com/schematics.htm ... nformation.

I've found ExpressSCH really easy to learn & use. Haven't built a Hoffman-style board, but his layout approach makes sense to me.

Stephen -

First, Hoffman isn't a competitor in terms of your products so I hope it's ok to post these links (PLEASE let me know if it's not.)

Second, aren't there a lot of considerations when doing a layout like keeping certain wires perpendicular and/or far away from each other, putting grid resistors directly on tube sockets, physically separating preamp stages that are in-phase with each other, and (maybe most importantly) the grounding scheme?

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:17 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Layouts dont always show which wires to separate/cross just becasue its hard to portray on paper. General rules are to cross one another at right angles if possible or cross above / below with a space. The grounding is very important and should be followed closely. Twist AC wires, OT wires; shield the inputs at the jacks only, put the grid stopper right on the grid!

I [try to] discuss some of these techniques in the docs for the kits.

You can recommend other suppliers if they have quality parts/ products/service. We certainly dont have everything but appreciate the business.