trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2024 7:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:22 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Hey everyone

I was talking with someone yesterday who's planning on using the really high-end components in his amps. He was looking at his amps as art-pieces and wanted them to look good inside and out. Some of these things included a brass chassis and $14 pots.

Now here's a question. Beside the aesthetic, does using the best of the best carbon film resistor, potentiometer, even chassis, effect the sound noticably? I'm particularly interested in the chassis. I can't see how it would, but it would sure be interesting if it did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:11 pm 
Friend
Friend

I am using P.E.C. pots and like them over the other brands I've tried. They are stiffer / tighter to turn. I haven't used them long enough to know if they will outlast the other brands. Are they worth the $10 - $12 a pop? I think so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:27 pm 
Novice
Novice

I'd say look at the vintage amps. There are still JTM 45s today using the original tubes and with the original pots. Those were cheap, off the shelf components that are now regarded as mojo.

I've seen and heard great sounding amps built in casserole dish using crappy parts salveged from an old record player.

I'd say decent pots are a must. I'd never spend $14 though. Most i've ever paid was $6 for a dual ganged pot. Good signal caps such as Sozos and good iron will see you right. Then make sure to invest in some NOS tubes in at least the pre-amp stage (and rectifier if your amp needs it).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:35 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Wicksy wrote:
I'd say look at the vintage amps. There are still JTM 45s today using the original tubes and with the original pots. Those were cheap, off the shelf components that are now regarded as mojo.

I've seen and heard great sounding amps built in casserole dish using crappy parts salveged from an old record player.

I'd say decent pots are a must. I'd never spend $14 though. Most i've ever paid was $6 for a dual ganged pot. Good signal caps such as Sozos and good iron will see you right. Then make sure to invest in some NOS tubes in at least the pre-amp stage (and rectifier if your amp needs it).

I agree. Invest in good iron, signal caps and decent name pots. Then play with the tubes. I question whether the added expense is worth the extra cost. Imagine 7 pots @ $15 = $105 - crazy. :shock:

Last edited by coco on Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:16 pm 
Expert
Expert

I don't know if any of you have checked out Joe Popp's "Rachelle" JCM800 build (http://www.joepopp.net/jcm8002.htm), but he just went nuts with elitist components. 1% spec NOS Riken resistors ($5 a pop), the hand-made premium Sozo's, Mercury Magnetics trannies. I don't think the clips sound any better than any stock JCM800 I've heard, but it certainly would keep cork-sniffers happy!