trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2024 11:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:10 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Hey everyone

The idea of the 5w Lightning really has me salivating. When you take a power section and want to cut it's output, what goes into that? Where do you start? Do you leave the phase inverter the same, or is that where you start? Do you just take one of the power tubes out of the picture and leave the circuit on the other the same?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:56 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I've been doing some reading. The Guitar Amp Handbook didn't give me much to go on, but the Aiken Amplification site gave me some starters.

The Lightning is push-pull. In order to get around 5-7 watts, would you go parallel single-ended as your foundation to design it on? From what I read in this article, this would be a more saturated sound, whatever that means.

http://www.aikenamps.com/SingleEnded.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:30 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

One thing, a 5W or Single ended lightning is not going to sound like the real thing. It might work to graft the lightning front end onto the AC4 back end. No PI required.

Since the effort is about the same to do the full monty, it might be better to look at ways to scale the power down. There were some ideas using the drive to the 18 watt PI that looked interesting, but I never tried these.

Theres always an attenuator and if we ever get the Electronic Power Control working, thats an option as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:05 am 
Experienced
Experienced

I'm not familiar with the differences between power scaling and attentuation.

I finished my Two-Rock clone and honestly think it sounds plain. Nothing jumps out. BUT, when I put the Celestion G12-65 I bought for it into my Lightning, it brought an entirely new dimension to the thing.

I can't imagine a more versatile amp. Finding a way to cut the volume in half would be awesome.

Ok guys, I'm off for the week. I'll be surfing :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:32 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Power control changes the internal power supply voltages while attenuation affects the output. Attenuation is an Add On while Power control is an Add In. There are benefits to both.