trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2024 3:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:45 pm 
Novice
Novice

The Epiphone amp I just picked up (check out my other thread) has an original 1961 Jensen speaker... when I first tried it out, it worked and wasn't rattling or anything like that, but the tone was a little messed up like when your pickups are set too high. When I took the amp apart to clean it, I found that despite the cone being in great shape, the spider is disintegrating. Any advice on putting in a new one? Is it as simple as carefully cutting out the old one and gluing in a new piece of felt? Any advice/tips?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:05 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

You can try that but it's major surgery. Or you might be able to get BBQ to re-cone it, or buy an old one off ebay. Or hang it up & buy as old a good one as you can find. Jensen shouldbe able to help with dating it/ specing it.

Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:36 am 
Novice
Novice

If you are talking about the felt piece at the bottom of the cone that covers the voice coil, that is the dust cap.
The spider is the circular corrugated piece that centers the voicecoil in the gap. It is locate below the cone and attaches to the frame.
The dustcap keep debris from entering the voicecoil gap. A circular piece of felt of the correct size could be glued in place to protect the gap.

LeeMo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:12 pm 
Novice
Novice

:oops: Sorry, my mistake... wrong terminology... yes I was refering to the dust cap. If I can replace that carefully will it affect the tone of the speaker? (assuming the voice coil is still ok)

It would be nice to save the original speaker, but if its shot it would be cheaper to just replace it... in that case I will just order a BBQ speaker... I have a few of them and have been happy with them so far. I replaced the speaker in my tweed Champ and just set the original aside so I have the original to go with the amp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:54 pm 
Novice
Novice

'Twer it myself , I'd be inclined to leave the original alone and cut out a circular piece of gray felt just slightly larger. Then I'd glue it over the old one.
I would be afraid that I might cut or tear the cone while removing the old one. I'm no expert by any stretch , tho. :oops:

LeeMo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:18 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I think it's a dust cap an LeeMo has a good idea there. Light felt disc, glued in place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:57 pm 
Novice
Novice

You guys are probably right... I think thats what I will try first :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:57 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

You can always cut them both off later, but doubt you will need to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:42 pm 
Novice
Novice

I've been busy and got recruited to play a jack and jill with a few other friends in a month so gotta practice lots! Gotta fix up this amp AND finish my Deluxe...

I hope to work on the Epiphone in the next week or 2 so I will let you know how I make out.