trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2024 12:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:27 am 
Expert
Expert

Emohawk wrote:
First, I will say that I don't like the Triwatt with Vintage 30's. I said that for the V30 clips Brent recorded also. Having played through them myself I hold to that statement. I don't like them with other Brit amps either. They're just too top-end edgy for my tastes.

You're not alone in that. I don't like V30s with many amps due to their scooped tone and excessive top edginess, and I come across lots of other folks who feel the same way. I think they're OK for metal, or with amps that use EL34s, since EL34s generally tend to have warm strong mids. EL84s and V30s IMO are the worst combinations, since EL84s also tend to be somewhat bright, and the combination can get real ice-picky.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:55 am 
Expert
Expert

zaphod wrote:
You're not alone in that. I don't like V30s with many amps due to their scooped tone and excessive top edginess, and I come across lots of other folks who feel the same way. I think they're OK for metal, or with amps that use EL34s, since EL34s generally tend to have warm strong mids. EL84s and V30s IMO are the worst combinations, since EL84s also tend to be somewhat bright, and the combination can get real ice-picky.

Yeah - that seems to be the issue. Any amp that's naturally bright doesn't get along with them to my ears. They get on well with my Laney & my 2204, but it's too much for my Traynor, sIII, VJ or the Triwatt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:10 pm 
Expert
Expert

Just a quick update.

I've been playing with the lead dress trying to get rid of the squeal in the OD pot & some hum issues. I've moved all the coax so it now runs over the board instead of under. That helped quite a bit. I've noodled around with the positioning of the OD coax to V2 pin 2. The key seems to be the relationship of that wire to the wire running from the channel volumes to the OD switch.

I've got the squeal virtually eliminated. There is still a very faint squeal as extreme settings, but it's entirely gone in the usable range.

I'll keep noodling with it, and I'll be interested to see how AJC has run his wiring to eliminate it altogether.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:26 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

my ears must be broken then.. I love C V30's with my 18 watter and TC15!

I often gig with my Orange closed back 4x12, and TC15. I also love my 2x12 with the G12H30's.

I have to use my new open back Trinity 2x12 with two TT alnico's to see how it rates.

AJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:28 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Emohawk wrote:
I'll keep noodling with it, and I'll be interested to see how AJC has run his wiring to eliminate it altogether.

it may be Monday, or even Tuesday untill I can get it apart and a pic taken.

AJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:00 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Is there a metal botton plate (cover plate) for Stephens chassis? That makes a big diff. for hum and such things.
Stew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:15 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Stoo wrote:
Is there a metal botton plate (cover plate) for Stephens chassis? That makes a big diff. for hum and such things.
Stew

Not until you put it in a cab. Then you can use Aluminum tape or whatever if you want. But I think aj's was pretty quiet.

Emohawk wrote:
I've moved all the coax so it now runs over the board instead of under. That helped quite a bit.

In the protoype, they went under the board. I just looked at the prototye pics and co-ax from the vol and OD switch went under the board, and came out between V2 - V3. Also, the shield of the co-ax lead from the OD switch that went to the board , was connected to the board ground buss as in the layout - in case you missed that.

Assume you grounded the output transformer common wire at the speaker jack sleeve terminal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:37 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Stoo wrote:
Stew

I didnt sheild mine and it is very very quiet now. Even with the od maxed out.

AJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:23 pm 
Expert
Expert

ajcoholic wrote:

I often gig with my Orange closed back 4x12, and TC15. I also love my 2x12 with the G12H30's.

I have to use my new open back Trinity 2x12 with two TT alnico's to see how it rates.

AJC

Ah - but not all cabinets are created equal! As I've discussed with Brent, Orange seems to have some sort of magic going on with their cabinets. I like the TT & a v30 loaded Orange cabinet. I've even heard a couple of G12T-75 loaded Orange cabs that sounded good, and I detest those speakers usually.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:25 pm 
Expert
Expert

ajcoholic wrote:
Emohawk wrote:

it may be Monday, or even Tuesday untill I can get it apart and a pic taken.

AJC

No rush dude. I've got mine to a point that I'm pretty happy with it so no big.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:33 pm 
Expert
Expert

coco wrote:
Stoo wrote:
Stew

Not until you put it in a cab. Then you can use Aluminum tape or whatever if you want. But I think aj's was pretty quiet.

I always do that. Still playing around with it so I haven't mounted it in the cab yet.

Quote:
In the protoype, they went under the board. I just looked at the prototye pics and co-ax from the vol and OD switch went under the board, and came out between V2 - V3. Also, the shield of the co-ax lead from the OD switch that went to the board , was connected to the board ground buss as in the layout - in case you missed that.

The difference is probably due to the different orientation of the wires. I decided to try it over the board just to see if it mattered. I did notice the grounds to the bus. Those are fine.

Quote:
Assume you grounded the output transformer common wire at the speaker jack sleeve terminal.

I did indeed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:23 pm 
Expert
Expert

No more squeal! :D A bit more wire wiggling & it's completely gone now. Man - that lead from the channel volumes to the OD pot is extremely sensitive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:33 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Emohawk wrote:
No more squeal! :D A bit more wire wiggling & it's completely gone now. Man - that lead from the channel volumes to the OD pot is extremely sensitive.

Yes, I bet if you got close enough and yelled at it, the wire would pick up your voice :)

Just like rubbing a stylus on a record player!

AJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:57 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Is the lead you're referring to running from the volume pots to the OD pot the purple one on the layout?

Trying to figure out what I should be looking out for when my kit gets here :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:18 pm 
Expert
Expert

Yeah - that's the one. Just moving your hand near it causes interesting things to happen. I think it's probably a major source of noise & hum with the OD engaged too. Something else I'll be experimenting with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:23 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

This is very good news. Now you can crank it up without fear!

That wire would be the one that goes from the APEX of the 470K resistors from each volume pot to the OD control. Maybe we need to shield that short run?

In the prototype, we flew a lead from the APEX, in mid-air, to the OD control. Shortest distance.

Please take some pictures where it the placement works for you guys and comments as to what doesn't work and we'll incorporate your findings into the manual.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:29 am 
Experienced
Experienced

zaphod wrote:
Emohawk wrote:
First, I will say that I don't like the Triwatt with Vintage 30's. I said that for the V30 clips Brent recorded also. Having played through them myself I hold to that statement. I don't like them with other Brit amps either. They're just too top-end edgy for my tastes.

Hmmm... with my TC15 they're anything but "ice-picky" and in the speaker poll on here they were the overwhelming favourite... I don't think this generalization applies to the TC...

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:31 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Emohawk wrote:
ajcoholic wrote:

AJC

Ah - but not all cabinets are created equal! As I've discussed with Brent, Orange seems to have some sort of magic going on with their cabinets. I like the TT & a v30 loaded Orange cabinet. I've even heard a couple of G12T-75 loaded Orange cabs that sounded good, and I detest those speakers usually.

FWIW, I actually prefer my Mesa cab with V30's over my Orange cab with my TC-15...

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:23 am 
Expert
Expert

bgroup wrote:
Hmmm... with my TC15 they're anything but "ice-picky" and in the speaker poll on here they were the overwhelming favourite... I don't think this generalization applies to the TC...

I think the TC-15 is a pretty unique amp. Plus I have hunch that your own set of Mezza V30s are the original Made in England ones that you can't get any more, and are moreover, well worn in. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:40 am 
Expert
Expert

coco wrote:
This is very good news. Now you can crank it up without fear!

That wire would be the one that goes from the APEX of the 470K resistors from each volume pot to the OD control. Maybe we need to shield that short run?

In the prototype, we flew a lead from the APEX, in mid-air, to the OD control. Shortest distance.

Please take some pictures where it the placement works for you guys and comments as to what doesn't work and we'll incorporate your findings into the manual.

The only fear is going deaf! The thing is crazy loud with th OD wound out & channel volumes up there. Even with the master down around 9:00 it's really cookin'.

The wire from the "apex", yeah. I originally had it running across from the "apex" & then up to the OD pot. I moved it to UP from the apex then across & the squeal disappeared completely. By doing this the wire is now basically at right angles to all the other leads in the same vicinity, whereas before it was more parallel. I suspect that's the difference.

We must be on the same wavelength. I thought it might be a good idea to shield that wire too, especially since with all that gain it's a major (potential) source of noise as well. Now that I have it working well I'm almost afraid to mess with it too much! :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next