trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2024 7:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:23 pm 
Friend
Friend

Everyone,

Noobe to the site and new owner a 18 watt plexi kit. I just finished it up and it sounds great. I even installed a tube buffered effects loop and a solid state rectifier along with the EZ81. (switchable). I was wondering if anyone has any ideas to mod the tmb gain channel for more of an 80's rock tone.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:36 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

There's some notes along with the schematic to "Fatten" up the tone and to "increase the gain" . That what you're after?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:58 pm 
Friend
Friend

How do you like the solid state rectifier compared to the EZ81?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:45 pm 
Friend
Friend

ForcedFire wrote:

It is a little tighter and less compression. Good for more harder edge rock tones.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:46 pm 
Friend
Friend

bpkuder wrote:
ForcedFire wrote:

It is a little tighter and less compression. Good for more harder edge rock tones.

So pretty significant difference. Are you using full wave or half wave? Same filter caps as the tube when on solid state mode?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:46 pm 
Friend
Friend

Stoo wrote:
There's some notes along with the schematic to "Fatten" up the tone and to "increase the gain" . That what you're after?

I am going to play around with those mods this weekend. I was wondering if there is a hot rodded JCM type of mod?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:55 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

You can always cascade the normal channel into the TMB channel. With a toggle switch.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:57 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

You have the Plexi version. you must want the TMB version for more gain. Take a look at the resource section. You can mod the TMB channel into the "TMB" model channel.
Confused yet?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:58 pm 
Friend
Friend

coco wrote:
You can always cascade the normal channel into the TMB channel. With a toggle switch.

Yes, this rules :happydance:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:16 pm 
Friend
Friend

Isn't cascading the channels the same as using a patch cable to jumper the channels? I am not dead set on changing the TMB channel just yet. I will try the suggested gain mods and go from there. Or leave the amp alone as it sounds great as it is. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:07 pm 
Expert
Expert

No, cascading is when you feed the output of one preamp channel into the input of the other preamp channel, so that the gain multiplies.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:49 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

The 3 18 watt models we have are the sIII, Plexi, TMB - Lo to Hi gain.
If you really have the Plexi and want more gain, go to the TMB design (see resource section for schematics / layout) and mod your Plexi to suit.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:06 am 
Friend
Friend

Looking at my schematic. The plexi voiced channel is the normal channel and the TMB channel is called the sIII. I am confused now. My understanding from the posts is the TMB on my kit is the plexi circuit. My next question is If I do the changes on the TMB / Plexi channel on my amp to match the circuit of the TMB amp do I have to change my normal channel as well or leave it as is. I like that channel a lot.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:09 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

bpkuder wrote:
Looking at my schematic. The plexi voiced channel is the normal channel and the TMB channel is called the sIII. I am confused now. My understanding from the posts is the TMB on my kit is the plexi circuit. My next question is If I do the changes on the TMB / Plexi channel on my amp to match the circuit of the TMB amp do I have to change my normal channel as well or leave it as is. I like that channel a lot.

They are separate channels. You do the mods in the pre-amp circuit.
And do the single switch cascade mod 8) from the normal channel you like to the TMB channel. I would do this first, I think you may be pleasantly surprized. Plexi to plexi is very cool IMO.

Tele's make the best noise

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:22 pm 
Friend
Friend

Anyone have a schematic for the cascade mod? :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:13 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1798

Scroll down to the schematic. Instead of Cascade relays( :damntech: :evil: ) R2A and R2B, you will be installing a DPDT switch that way. Read the thread for more info.

Tele's make the best noise

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:33 pm 
Friend
Friend

Taz13 wrote:
http://www.trinityamps.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1798

Scroll down to the schematic. Instead of Cascade relays( :damntech: :evil: ) R2A and R2B, you will be installing a DPDT switch that way. Read the thread for more info.

Thanks Taz!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:31 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

bpkuder wrote:

In the Plexi TMB channel, there are differnt coupling capacitors and Phase invertor drive is increased. It is based off the sIII but it's NOT an sIII TMB channel.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:06 am 
Experienced
Experienced

bpkuder wrote:
Everyone,

Noobe to the site and new owner a 18 watt plexi kit. I just finished it up and it sounds great. I even installed a tube buffered effects loop and a solid state rectifier along with the EZ81. (switchable). I was wondering if anyone has any ideas to mod the tmb gain channel for more of an 80's rock tone.

bpkuder, I was wondering how your mods were going? Any success yet? Also I wanted to know how you implemented you SS rectifier. Did you just put a half wave recto in there? Any additional filtering or dropping resistors?
I was having issues with mine so I have just not used it but now I want to try to get it working.

http://www.soundclick.com/unimind

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:19 am 
Expert
Expert

Be aware that the amp will sound less brown with SS rectfiers. Also, the B+ voltage will go too high unless you also stick some zeners after the SS rectifiers to knock some volts off.